1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Medieval Improvements

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Medieval: Conquests' started by Kailric, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

We do not have a thread for improvements yet so let's get one started:D

The first Improvement change I am considering is Strongholds having an effect on "sphere of influence". Sphere of Influence is just another name for Culture really, but I kinda like it over Culture as two Civs can have basically the same Culture, but different Spheres of Influence, however it is all basically your Borders. Anyway, to help counter other Civs from encroaching on your Borders you can build Strongholds. Strongholds will exert your Sphere of Influence to the tiles around them.

Perhaps this effect only occurs while the Stronghold is Manned, connected by Road, or perhaps under certain Civics, or all of the above. Civics can give bonuses to this effect. Perhaps you would need to consume Yields in the Stronghold to exert Influence.

The amount of Influence would be a calculation of your Culture totals that exists around the Stronghold plot. So, if a Stronghold on the edge of your borders is only connected to three tiles, those three tiles will be the factors for the amount of Influence the Stronghold welds. The more Tiles around a Stronghold the bigger the Influence.

This would be another way to Expand your Borders as well as acquire Vassals. Building Strongholds outside your Borders can still be a way to expand Borders. Their Influence would be diminished however, they could still have an effect depending on plot distance from your Capitol city or borders perhaps. This distance could be calculated at when the Stronghold is created to optimize cpu time. Strongholds adjacent to a Minor Civ city could get an increase from Missions and Trading Post established in the city.

Any thoughts on this or other Improvements?

2. Lib.Spi't

Lib.Spi't Overlord of the Wasteland

That is an interesting idea, like how superforts works for civ.

It could eventually be combined with the fort idea we talked about in the past that allows you to train your troops there.

I think it should need to be manned to exert influence, otherwise it just has a small 'police force' to hunt dangerous animals and bandits.

It could also be like trade and mission posts under their certain civic, perhaps if it is manned and connected by road it gives +fealty to it's plot group.
    I really liked that 'reward' under certain civics, as it gave me a real sense of organising my kingdom and realtions with neighbours. It felt like a solid pay back for the effort. It was also plotgroup wide, which again made it feel worth the organising.

One improvement I would like is a 'Royal Game Reserve' or 'King's Wood' It would just be an improvement that gives 1,2,3 luxury food (however good you want it to be) but stops any other yield being produced in that forest. Perhaps it could be limited to only light or heavy forests. Maybe heavy to make it feel like more of a 'cost' as you lose a strong source of wood to do it.

3. Kailric

Kailric Jack of All Trades

Yeah, its about time we have a Game Reserve. It could give a +2 to light forest, and +4 to Heavy Forests, or what ever balances best. It could allow you to work the plot from inside your cities. Which would create a new City Profession for Huntsman and you can gather Luxury Food that way. I think I'll throw something in for this next as it should be a simple addition.

Also, for Strongholds, they could gather resources in some fashion or another, like the Forts Mod.

4. Lib.Spi't

Lib.Spi't Overlord of the Wasteland

yes, that was exactly my thought for the game reserve, especially as it can often become difficult to 'catch' animals with the hunter, it gets quite annoying as the game progresses, so being able to set your hunter up with a small gather rate (so butcher and baker are much better and faster if you have the ingredients.) But it is a simple easy 'no-micro' way of getting some luxury food.

Yes maybe a stronghold could collect supplies a bit like the center plot of a city, so it matters where you put it. but again only if it is manned, or perhaps the rate could be increased when manned.