Medieval Radiotower = Garrison

rifleman

Varangian Guard
I came up with this in the process of working on a Byzantine/Middle Ages Mod and figured that the added defensive bonus provided by the Radiotower in modern times could be applied in medieval or even classical times by planting a troop garrison in strategic areas. Here's a view:

It works just like a radio tower for a few reasons. First, taking into account that one 'Unit' is actually composed of many fighters, a garrison provides a refuge for fighters that have been on the front line too long. And since it is already manned by the workers/citizens/whatever that built the Garrison, these people would help to fill in the gaps when the Unit is weakened.

Second, the 'Range', like a Radiotower, is effected by terrain because if a garrison were to be placed on a hilltop of mountain, it would be stronger and more effective.

I've been working on a whole new line of techs, and I might post those later, but this becomes available with the advance 'Military Logistics', but this is only possible with another tech - 'Roman Roads'. I used Pounder's gravel roads to replace railroads (really because I couldn't figure out how to make an additional road type with a different movement bonus). I figured that my map is not much larger than Europe, and most turns are at least one year, so I can't see a deliberate move across Europe taking more than one turn - if there are well engineered and maintained roads, something the Romans knew how to do well.

Here's a view of the buttons. It also has the button that I replaced the Watchtower with.

I've attached the files for this and the Classical and American Western garrisons, from this post.

Attachments

• Garrisons.zip
    82.3 KB · Views: 341
I had a similar idea about garrisons some time back, but never implemented it in anything. Well, now that you've so kindly supplied this graphic, maybe I just will!

:goodjob:

Very nice addition, Rifleman. I look forward to trying it out. I've been debating the "Roman Roads" issue for my Medieval mod and the problem is that the Romans built those roads long befor the "Byzantine" era and all the Romaioi did was keep them useable...that and the fact that Western European roads of the same era were muddy cart tracks if that, outside of the Roman roads they inherited.

I was debating laying a series of Roman roads down with the stone road graphic and providing no tech to build them, then replacing rail roads with dirt roads with less movement allowed.

I'm not worried about units moving to fast because, quite frankly, it's always bothered me that it can take an infantry unit hundreds of years game time (depending upon era) to move from Antioch to Jerusalem - simply ridiculous.

Anyway, good job!!

Good job by making these.But you could zip it all because it's boring to dl 5 files when you could 1 in single click.

Thanks everyone.

@ varwnos - I'd thought about that, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make fortifications and such Culture specific instead of Era specific (tho I'm sure it's possible). So I just came up with something that worked for everyone. If I ever do figure out how to separate the graphics, I have plans for many styles.

@ Hrafnkell - The idea behind the roads is kind of a long story. I figure that if the Byzantines (or anyone else for that matter) got to the point where they were able to focus more on engineering and learning in general, like the Romans had, they could rediscover ancient techniques and even build on them. Like I said, I have a lot of other Techs/rediscoveries leading up to Roads, so it's not easy to research. But this way, it is a possibility.

@ Corey - You're right, I'll correct it here and do that in the future.

rifleman said:
Thanks everyone.

@ varwnos - I'd thought about that, but I haven't been able to figure out how to make fortifications and such Culture specific instead of Era specific (tho I'm sure it's possible). So I just came up with something that worked for everyone. If I ever do figure out how to separate the graphics, I have plans for many styles.

Ha. Ha. No, you can't.

Goldflash said:
Ha. Ha. No, you can't.

There's a "but" there though... as there is with everything.

If you are making a scenario, you CAN make them culture specific. The way you'd do that is by breaking up the "eras" into cultural groups.

So let's say you wanted a scenario of medieval Europe and you wanted a different Muslim graphic for the radio tower or fort or whatever, you'd have to have the Muslims in one era and the Europeans in another... and if you want them to permanently stay in those groups, you'd have to pack those eras tight with techs or make research very very slow... but if you give each of them two eras, you could still do that too...

it's up to you.

:bump:
okay, yes yes i know i'm totally bumping here, but i have my reasons!

1) where on earth are the files for this?
2) once i manage to GET the files, where do i put them?

i'd like to maybe use these, but i can't find and .zip or anything!

i'd really appreciate some info. thanks!

3 years? Nah, that's no record. I've seen a 4 year bump recently. But it has been purged because the mods were angry.

Umm, the CFC servers are known to purge data that hasn't received more than a certain number of DLs in a given time frame through the easy upload. That might be why.

hahahaha
thanks guys, i was thinking of just PMing rifleman,
but then i thought, if i posted, then others would get the info too. :)
perhaps you should consider moving the files to the Download Database.

Top Bottom