Medieval reskin shop

Check the tutorials section

I've got a number of units lying around, mostly various knights from 2012, might as well finish them where needed and release them. Some Teutonic Knights first, download in the 1st post.

Hush! Can you hear their voices?
There are some unfinished units lying around, singing "Please, Release Me" :D

Great work, embryodead!

Upload your model and XML so that we can take a look at it. Just from the image alone it seems to be a missing unit mesh or animation. But that's the best we can do without looking at it in detail.

please tell me how to fix it

Hello Shurik1101,

I've included a working file for the art you posted. If you still have problems, you might be missing the KFM animations, as PPQ_Purple suggested. Hope this helps :)

Civ4ScreenShot0075.JPG

<NIF>... Teutonic Knight/HeavyCavalry.nif</NIF>
<KFM>Art/Units/Charlemagne_HeavyCavalry/HeavyCavalry.kfm</KFM>
<SHADERNIF>... Teutonic Knight/HeavyCavalry.nif</SHADERNIF>

Attachments

• Teutonic Knight.zip
    154.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
I am not sure what you did to get this model into the state it is in but the NIF is very much not correct internally. For a start you have 3 separate scene root objects which to me is a huge red flag.
My advice would be to look at the structure of proper NIF files using NIFSCOPE and try and just copy paste your meshes between the two so that your models are next to the proper ones in the heavycavalry.nif. That should work.

I am not sure what you did to get this model into the state it is in but the NIF is very much not correct internally. For a start you have 3 separate scene root objects which to me is a huge red flag.
My advice would be to look at the structure of proper NIF files using NIFSCOPE and try and just copy paste your meshes between the two so that your models are next to the proper ones in the heavycavalry.nif. That should work.
Hello PPQ_Purple,
Sorry, was this message for me? Or maybe it's a reponse to a file that Shurik1101 pm'd you? Thanks for the clarification :)

EDIT:
Spoiler :

If it's for me, thank you for the heads up. Sorry I uploaded that file. I'm only beginning to learn NifSkope, but I definitely understand what red flag means.

I *think* the file in question is a simple re-upload of the Teutonic Knight from embryodead's Teutonic 3-pack at the top of the OP (re-upped for easy reference and/or in the event that Shurik1101 had mistakenly altered the file).

The unit seemed to work fine in-game, and in my blissful ignorance, I thought that meant the NIF file was fine too.

Btw I'm a huge fan of the artwork you create for the FfH universe :goodjob:

Last edited:
Hello PPQ_Purple,
Sorry, was this message for me? Or maybe it's a reponse to a file that Shurik1101 pm'd you? Thanks for the clarification :)

EDIT:
Spoiler :

If it's for me, thank you for the heads up. Sorry I uploaded that file. I'm only beginning to learn NifSkope, but I definitely understand what red flag means.

I *think* the file in question is a simple re-upload of the Teutonic Knight from embryodead's Teutonic 3-pack at the top of the OP (re-upped for easy reference and/or in the event that Shurik1101 had mistakenly altered the file).

The unit seemed to work fine in-game, and in my blissful ignorance, I thought that meant the NIF file was fine too.
Yea, the message was for you. TLDR just from looking at that file it looks wrong on the inside. I do not know who created it or where you got it but the internal structure is very strange to me which is why I suspect it's causing the error.
A red sphere like that is basically what CIV does when it runs into a broken or missing model or part of a model. I tend to get those in my work when the XML is not pointing at the right NIF. But in your case only part of the model is broken whilst the rest works which indicates that the problem is in the file it self. My guess would be it's the 3rd Scene Root node that seems to have nothing on the inside but I can't be sure.

If you haven't already my advice would be to open up the NIF files for units that come with the game, or just my units since you like them :) and look at the internal structure of those. Compare the two and you'll immediately see the difference. Working with nifscope is actually rather easy once you get the hang of it. And you'll need to do it anyway if you want to make more units.

By the way, welcome to the modding community. I hope you stay, learn and help us keep CIV4 alive.

PS. I'll take a look at the NIF it self and see if I can make a functional version of your unit when I get back from work today. That way you'll be able to see the difference in structure.

Yea, the message was for you. TLDR just from looking at that file it looks wrong on the inside. I do not know who created it or where you got it but the internal structure is very strange to me which is why I suspect it's causing the error.
A red sphere like that is basically what CIV does when it runs into a broken or missing model or part of a model. I tend to get those in my work when the XML is not pointing at the right NIF. But in your case only part of the model is broken whilst the rest works which indicates that the problem is in the file it self. My guess would be it's the 3rd Scene Root node that seems to have nothing on the inside but I can't be sure.

If you haven't already my advice would be to open up the NIF files for units that come with the game, or just my units since you like them :) and look at the internal structure of those. Compare the two and you'll immediately see the difference. Working with nifscope is actually rather easy once you get the hang of it. And you'll need to do it anyway if you want to make more units.

By the way, welcome to the modding community. I hope you stay, learn and help us keep CIV4 alive.

PS. I'll take a look at the NIF it self and see if I can make a functional version of your unit when I get back from work today. That way you'll be able to see the difference in structure.
Thanks for the warm welcome. I might be late to the party, but I definitely want to learn.

I've already nicked one FhH unit for some modification into a Cherusci heavy footman ;) Do you happen to know who created it?

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/unit-requests-thread.157708/page-282#post-15905532

Thanks for offering to share your knowledge with me :thumbsup:

Looking at the file I am not sure if it works at all to be honest. I mean, do you get any animations with it in game or is it completely static? I can't load the game up right now to check.

Hello PPQ_Purple!

Hmm :think: I was getting worried that maybe I posted the wrong file, so just to be super-duper sure, I dl'd it and tried it.

As I mentioned earlier, I *think* the file in question is a simple re-upload of the Teutonic Knight from embryodead's Teutonic 3-pack at the top of the OP (re-upped for easy reference and/or in the event that Shurik1101 had mistakenly altered the file).

Here are some combat graphics:
Teutonic Horseman in Action 01.jpg Teutonic Horseman in Action 02.jpgWithdrawn.jpg Teutonic Horseman different angle.jpg
I classed this unit as a horseman [ :strength:6] and tried to charge down a maceman [ :strength:8]. I ran two tests and the graphics looked okay. One horseman withdrew, but sadly the other didn't survive :cry:

From the little I know of NIF files, I agree that when you put it under the 'skope, this file doesn't seem to be very clean or simple. To be honest, quite a bit of the art that I've opened in NifSkope completely boggles my mind :crazyeye:

So I would be especially grateful if you could help me acquire cleaner modding techniques which have more intuitive approaches :goodjob:

Last edited:
Top Bottom