Medieval scenario

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
Any speculation as to what the Medieval scenario will actually be?

Here's my thoughts:

It's my guess that the scenario will take place after 1000AD, given that there's a "Fall of Rome" scenario; this doesn't mean it can't take place beforehand, I'm purely speculating here.

The Norman Conquest was covered in the Denmark DLC, so I don't think that will be the subject of the scenario. The same can be said about the Mongol hordes being already done in the Mongol DLC.

A "Colonization" style scenario seems likely, given that Holland and the Mayans are new civs. There has been a "new world" scenario in the Spain/Inca DLC, and it would really need people to have that DLC to get those two essential civs for a "Colonization" style scenario though. It's possible that they'll save this for a Portugal DLC scenario.

A crusades scenario is entirely possible. One can be forged using the civs already in place in the original Civ V. It'd be great to see a new civ brought in for this. The fact that religion is being brought in with this expansion makes this scenario more likely (to me at least).

Any thoughts?

My first thought is: The Byzantines will be involved.
It's a new civ and just waiting to be used.
Which would indeed fit in well with a crusades-scenario, together with the new religion (and maybe espionage).

Maybe something like Knights Templar, Teutonic Knights or Knights Hospitaller will be in there as well? (in case of a crusade-scenario, that is).
And the Ottomans rebranded as Seljuks in this scenario?

My first thought is: The Byzantines will be involved.
It's a new civ and just waiting to be used.
Which would indeed fit in well with a crusades-scenario, together with the new religion (and maybe espionage).

Maybe something like Knights Templar, Teutonic Knights or Knights Hospitaller will be in there as well? (in case of a crusade-scenario, that is).
And the Ottomans rebranded as Seljuks in this scenario?

I agree that the Byzantines might be involved - they'll definately be in the "Fall of Rome" scenario, so would they be in this one as well? Possibly..

It would be good to see the various knights that you've mentioned...though having a new civ with a knight as UU might be unlikely given that there are five civs with knight replacements for UUs already! I do see a crusades scenario involving the city state of Jerusalem and them having Knights Templars. Hmm...

It would be good to see the various knights that you've mentioned...though having a new civ with a knight as UU might be unlikely given that there are five civs with knight replacements for UUs already!

I don't think it's that unlikely; it could be a scenario-only thing. Like the Norman Knight for the Normans in the 1066 DLC scenario was.

Does anyone remember the Civ3 Conquest Medieval scenario? I'm pretty sure thats the only Civ scenario I played through more than once. Man that was good.

I'm pretty sure it started around the same time as the first crusade and finished around the time of the discovery of America. Which makes sense, as that pretty much is the definition of 'the medieval era'. A colonization scenario would really be pushing the name to its limit.

Does anyone remember the Civ3 Conquest Medieval scenario? I'm pretty sure thats the only Civ scenario I played through more than once. Man that was good.

I'm pretty sure it started around the same time as the first crusade and finished around the time of the discovery of America. Which makes sense, as that pretty much is the definition of 'the medieval era'. A colonization scenario would really be pushing the name to its limit.
What can you tell us about that scenario?
The timeline would fit in well, I agree.

Interestingly enough, there was also a Fall of Rome scenario in Civ3 Conquests, next to the Medieval scenario.

Edit:
Also interesting about Civ3 Conquests. The added civs:
.:: The Byzantines
.:: The Dutch
.:: The Hittites
.:: The Incans
.:: The Mayans
.:: The Portuguese
.:: The Sumerians
Now Portugal won't be in there and the Incans are already in there, but it's an interesting coincidence that the Byzantines, Dutch and Mayans were also part of that expansion pack, next to the two scenarios.

Probably a coincidence, but *puts on tin foil hat* maybe they're taking ideas from C3C.

I think it is neither a coincidence and nor are they taking ideas from C3C directly. I think what is happening is that those three civs are considered "non-essential" civs, but still "nice-to-have" ones, and as such they tend to be added through expansion packs rather than be present in the base game.

Given there sparsity of scenarios, I don't think the civs they added and the scenarios they added have a lot to do with each other. Otherwise, a Rise of Rome scenario would make more sense than a Fall of Rome scenario.

I think it'll be a more generalized Medieval scenario rather than a specific event like the Crusades. If it were the Crusades, they would have said it was a Crusades scenario. Rather, the description was very general. The easiest time is after 1066, so you'll have England (owning parts of France), France, Danes, Holy Roman Empire, Byzantium, the Seljuk Turks, and the Arabs either as one entity (holding mostly Africa) or two entities (West Africa/Southern Spain and Egypt). I could also see Spain as the Kingdom of Aragon and Songhai filling in for the Almoravids should they split up the Arabs.

ETA: It's the perfect scenario to take advantage of religion. I suspect they'd use three, Catholic, Orthodox, and Muslim (Egypt might have been Shi'a at the time, which means they might split that, but I don't think it's likely).

I do think a C3C-like scenario is likely. Although the scenarios so far have not been that sophisticated and complex but rather focused, which points more towards a simple, small crusade scenario.

the main additions of the expansion are Religion, Espionage and a new combat system with a focus on "industrial era", it seems. The latter is served by the Smoky Skies scenario, Espionage might fight into that as well. So I agree that the medieval one will focus heavily on Religion, it does seem perfect for something like that. I don't know what their catch is with the fall of Rome scenario though, the new combat system?

Agreed; I think this scenario and the Fall of Rome will both be based on the C3C ones.

The main difference being incorporation of social & religious polices.

Espionage (in the main game at least) only comes into play in the Rennaissance era, so it probably won't be the focus of this mod. My guess is it will have a lot to do with religion. I'm with Louis here that it'll probably be something relatively general, although a crusades type scenario would make sense too.

We've been told that some units/buildings require faith points to be bought/constructed. I can't think of a better implementation of this than crusades/templars/citadels/ect...

I don't think Citadels, but the rest I agree. Certainly Crusaders. I'd love it if there were religion-specific ones, but I can only think of three so that won't happen. At a minimum, having more than one unit would be great (e.g., Crusaders and Shaolin Monks). I assume religion would obsolete. Otherwise, Mujahadeen might be a possible unit.

For buildings, Cathedrals, Mosks, Basilicas, Temples, Monasteries, Shrines, etc. I can think of a bunch of different buildings, some currently in the game and some not.

Arguably, however, they need to think of two new cultural buildings - one for temples, one for monasteries.

I have a feeling it will be about the crusades. But whatever it is I am all for it.

Top Bottom