1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet Mikey, 8: U.S. Has Him on Watch List

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Aleenik, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

While this isn't really new news regarding there being a watch list... it is just in my opinion showing another flaw in the security system. By the way, it's not like people can just use a different name to bypass the list anyways right? O wait...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/14/nyregion/14watchlist.html?no_interstitial

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Now he knows how Dan Rather feels.

3. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Dan Rather is on the watch list?

4. Formaldehyde

Oops. Meant Ted Kennedy. My bad.

Here's some more notables:

Spoiler :

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Another reason why the no-fly list is a bad idea and needs serious reforms to prevent innocences from being false positives.

Also, being put on the no-fly list just because you disagree with the Republicans (eg. Disagree with the Iraq War, etc) is very stupid and against civil liberties of an individual. The no-fly list should be and remain non-partisan issue.

6. Formaldehyde

I love how they target the thousands of Robert Johnsons because some kook by the same name once plotted to bomb a movie theater and Hindu temple in Toronto.

Or the Canadian who likely had another very common name, so he legally changed it to something else just so he could fly in relative peace.

7. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Welcome to post 9/11 Form. It seems less of a hassle to just take a train to go somewhere within the US these days.

8. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

Well she should have known better than to marry someone with the last name Hicks and give her son the first name Michael. The question we should be asking is why does he have the same name as a terrorist? Is his mother a terrorist sympathizer? This whole thing is suspect. He should just bootstrap himself to a court and get his name changed.

9. Formaldehyde

Now that they forced that other kid to change his name, "Adolf Hitler" would likely not cause him any further problems flying.

10. CavLancer

CavLancer This aint fertilizer

I saw a pic of the young villain in his boy scout outfit, the most diabolical terrorist disguise of them all.

11. Ayatollah So

Ayatollah So the spoof'll set you free

Terrorist toddler - you never know when he will strike!

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

he secretly has a canister of Sarin gas up his... and is going to kill them all, hell we should just ban everyone who has every been a Boy Scout or a Scouter because their organization is chartered by Congress AL QAEDA!

13. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

I just hope that no one uses my name as an alias for air travel. The concept itself is a good idea, but it is not been implemented well.

14. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

Nope, nothing new at all. Though it is "trying" to be fixed with a new program called secure flight.

While not this story, the TSA does have a blog response about a story of a 4yr little girl being on the SSSSelectee SSSScreening list. http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2009/10/response-to-my-daughter-terror-suspect.html I would highly recommend reading the comments to the TSA/blog. Some of the comments are pure gold, such as
    Now SSSSelectee SSSScreening will almost never take no more then 10mins. Now on a 8yr boy, with little to no baggage (their his parents bags), screening should take about 1-2mins at most. Meaning by the time his parents get there stuff out of the x-ray and their shoes and jackets on, he's done. Now as sad and silly it is for a 8yr being a Quad, it's nowhere near as bad as his drama queen mom is making it out to be.