Meet Up

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by KingArthur, Oct 2, 2016.

1. KingArthur

KingArthur Searching for the Holy Grail

How would anyone like a physical meetup? Wherever location most folk abide. Me I am in Scotland but happy to travel

2. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Perhaps simultaneous meet-ups in places with lots of Civ modders, England, Germany, and the East and West Coasts of the US. I don't know if there's a platform that would allow us all to save the Hotel cost and just meet on Skype at the same time; I'd buy a webcam for that.

I had a wild idea once of all of us meeting in Maryland, down the street from the Fireaxis headquarters (they're in a suburb north of Baltimore; there are six hotels within 5 miles), and showing up at their HQ with a petition for the C3C source code. It'd be a great stunt.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Intriguing idea. Budget is tight, but if I can afford to I'd like to meet people I've talked to for years.

It would have to be somewhere in the U.S. for me to be able to attend, but if everyone wants to meet in Nepal or Bali, that's fine - just bring me a t-shirt :p

4. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

I am near Chicago, and would love to meet any Civ3 models in the area face to face. And as I have a son on the West Coast near San Francisco, meeting in that area is always a possibility.

5. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn. Supporter

I'm in the city named twice (not Walla Walla: the other one) and would happily travel.

6. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Methinks that Frank Sinatra had a song about your town.

7. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

8. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

So, if I visit the Air Force Museum at Wright-Pat, I need to let you know. Note, I have made several trips to Wright-Pat to use the Museum archives. Lots of very good stuff there.

9. Ozymandias

Ozymandias I saw the Great Library burn. Supporter

Bingo! - But I'm really using this "reply" to mention how much I like your new avatar.

-:Dz

10. timerover51

timerover51 Deity

Greetings, Oz, it actually is my company logo for Time Rover Press, a roving alarm clock. I had an artist create it for me.

11. Ares de Borg

Ares de Borg Norman Knight

12. WildWeazel

WildWeazel hard-coded Supporter

I'd have been all over that.

13. Theov

Theov Deity

Only if Buttercup is coming.

14. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Really? I'm just up the highway in Columbus. I had no idea you were so relatively close; I was about two-thirds of the way down to Cincinnati three days ago.

So between you, me, and timerover51, I'm thinking maybe we should be looking at some sort of a midwest meetup. Cincinnati is definitely in day-trip territory for me; Chicago would be at least a two-day round trip, I don't know if maybe Indianapolis or somewhere around there would be close enough for everyone for a day trip? It's about 4 hours for me which is towards the upper limit for a day trip (Chicago is 6 one way, and that's too much for a day trip while still leaving time to do something), and I think it's no more than that for Cincy/Chicago.

The Air Force Museum is a good idea too; it's a nice museum with lots of interesting aviation history, and it's been awhile since I've been there.

I know there was at least one successful Off-Topic meetup a few years back too, I think it might've been London in 2011? But there is some history of a successful CFC meetup.

15. Kyriakos

Kyriakos The Eternal

I can be in the meeting, provided it takes place in Thessalonike... :o

16. WildWeazel

I still make occasional trips up to Ohio. My family is in the Athens area.

17. Jorsalfare

Jorsalfare Prince

Although I some day gonna visit the Americas, and would love to meet you guys over there, I cannot afford to travel only for a civ3-meeting. If there was to be a meeting somewhere here in "The Old World", I would seriously consider to go. UK or northern continental Europe would be within reach for me if such a meeting should materialize (during summermonths).

18. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Athens (Ohio, not Greece) is actually a bit closer to me than Cincinnati, definitely in the "day trip" category. Would definitely be worth a trip to meet the creator of One More Turn Theatre!

19. WildWeazel

You, me, @Balthasar... Washington Court House??

20. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

Washington Court House? Interesting choice. It's a straight shot for me, about an hour and a half.