Mega Food Capitals

Yxklyx

King
I started a game as Brennus on Monarch and got 5 seafood next to the capitol. What is the best course of action if there is one?

Same thing happened to me early today. Same Civilization even.

Spoiler :

No fishing to start which is irritating.

I plan to SiP and research fishing while building a worker.
As soon as fishing is done I'll switch to a workboat.

Haven't decided if 2nd build is another workboat or a worker. I guess I don't really need to work mines with this much food.
Bronzeworking(Slavery) is a priority to abuse all this food I think.

Beeline Medicine and make yourself some Sushi :D

In the meantime, beeline hereditary rule and caste system. I almost want to go pacifism too, but I don't like the combination of PAC/HR... I'd like to hear what the immortal/deity players think about this.

In the meantime, beeline hereditary rule and caste system. I almost want to go pacifism too, but I don't like the combination of PAC/HR... I'd like to hear what the immortal/deity players think about this.

The cost for units is usually smaller than the cost for other civics once your empire is large enough.

Yeah, I was going to mention splitting the food too. I might settled cap 2E and the 2nd city where the scout is now. Would allow cities to split seafood and floodplains, as well as increase change for strat resources. If the cap actually becomes a GP farm, city 2 could take on more of the cottage FPs.

Post the save Manticore - that looks fun if it's a high enough level.

Why don't you people post saves to go with those starts?! Bajillion floodplains and sea littered with food... I never get that. :lol:

You guys are light years above me in difficulties and I just assume it doesn't interest people to play three levels down.

I had an earlier map as Haty with lots of seafood. When I got CS and Rep going that city pushed over 600 beakers on its own before I got Oxford in it. I later put GT in there and drafted my way to domination.

The whip potential of all that food means I'd probably not be growing on cottages but instead whipping for production. I guess this is an extreme case and maybe I'd want cottages to slow down the growth slightly. In the mid-game Workshops make for a mega-production city.

After seeing what a heavy Scientist city can do it is hard to think about splitting up a city like that into two smaller ones. I've noticed in my games I'm always doing things with my citizens and find out too late that I should have been sitting on cottages and growing to a monster city.

Comments please on the 1 vs 2city choice and what your plans would be with the each of the two cities. Help me see what the Immortal/Deity player sees here!

Spoiler :

Anyway, save available.

Standard/Normal/Shuffle-no events or huts.

This is my first serious Monarch attempt. I've won a Monarch game before but that was well over a year ago.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    33.7 KB · Views: 60
happiness and health will be severe limit for making monstrous thingy and with so many resources you need to split them.
It's too soon because we don't know how many free happy you have around etc. but it's actually good to split good land. I would like bigger overlap on those FPs though to help grow cottages for capital.

Nice trick in this beginning will be to start work on worker, tech fishing, as you finish fishing you switch to WB that you will build on that forested PH (3 hammers) and then finish worker, then probably another WB.

happiness and health will be severe limit for making monstrous thingy and with so many resources you need to split them.....

But not if he's whipping and then later drafting to victory. Seems like a good idea to me. Sounds to me that in this case, the city's land tiles will hardly ever be used so you might want to build some other cities nearby to make use of those unused tiles.

No fishing to start which is irritating.

I plan to SiP and research fishing while building a worker.

Worker/Pottery and you start with cottages...you have floodplains, don't get irritated by the seafood early. And if that is a 3h hill to the east there (my eyes seem to fail me today lol), you should prolly settle there.

^^^food first....yep, it's what you think it is and it's a pretty mad cap. definitely split. city to east is not bad.

Worker/Pottery and you start with cottages...you have floodplains, don't get irritated by the seafood early. And if that is a 3h hill to the east there (my eyes seem to fail me today lol), you should prolly settle there.

:agree: My thoughts exactly. I find going for seafood first slows everything up. I will often delay it quite a bit, until after BW when I can chop out the boats. Settling on the plains hill is too good to pass up.

^^^^however, with that much food, BW allows you to actually use it and you can whip out workboats. I usually avoid early cap whippage, but in this case it can get things up very fast and given that Boudi is Char you have extra happiness to spare.

Comments please on the 1 vs 2city choice and what your plans would be with the each of the two cities. Help me see what the Immortal/Deity player sees here!

@manticore,thanks for posting the save,ive never had a start with as much food as that before.Im not a deity player but what i saw was an opportunity to make a crazy sized city!-so I moved 1 east onto the forested plains hill to get an extra FP.

My plan for Bilbract then was to workboat the clams and crab first for the 2commerse,then the fish,then after pottery start working cottages rather than the seafood.Longterm plan was to get the globe theatre and national park in there asap(which was in my head from the screenshot).

Anyway ive played this map through once to victory,now im gonna play it through again just to see how big Bilbract can get!

Sure it wasn't 6 corn or 6 seafood, but imagine my surprise when this popped up.

Spoiler :

A bit excesive don't you think.

^^^^however, with that much food, BW allows you to actually use it and you can whip out workboats. I usually avoid early cap whippage, but in this case it can get things up very fast and given that Boudi is Char you have extra happiness to spare.

True enough, and after looking at the Celts starting techs I went wheel> fishing> pottery> mining > BW> IW (no need for AG at this point in the game). And I whipped, but not WBs :lol:
Spoiler :

Check out this K/D ratio on Shaka:

Every gallic was promoted G2 > G3. Roughly 40% of Shaka's archers were CG1, 40% were C1, the rest unpromoted. The withdrawal chance makes GWs insanely good, most of mine are now C1G3CR1 and this continent is mine for the taking.

@xenex

Looking at that start I'd briefly consider settling on sugar except it loose some river tiles. So settle in place and HELLO!!!

yeah...1SW is pretty nice too and actually a better production city and leaves what is likely a decent 2nd production city in the north. Really not the much a loss of river tiles really. must......post..............start

Top Bottom