Mega Story II: The Unfreezing

cypher132

Emperor
Mega Story II: The Unfreezing
Co-GMed by Cypher132 and Lemon Jelly

Long ago, this used to be a different place. The land was green and viable. The trees were green and snow-free. But then the day Auric rose to power come to be and the world was blanketed in a layer of snow. It's been..I'd say about 150 years since we had our last snow-free day. Since then, most nations have gone into hiding, hiding in caves as they did during the first Age of Ice. The Illians themselves, grew powerful.
But one day, a powerful spirit struck Auric down, using gems from the shattered Godslayer. Many believe this spirit was the spirit of Onstad Hastil, continuing his mission from beyond the grave. Since that day, the snows have lessened, water has returned to the rivers, and grass has begun to poke up from the frozen ground. Today..Today, my children, is a new day. For all of us.

The Rules

1. No negative comments about another's story.
2. The GM's decision is final, but we will be unbiased.
3. If you own a civ and it's beginning to flownder, don't give up. It's just for fun.
4. If your civ does go under, you have the choice to create your own character to continue your adventure in MSII.
5. If you and another user have a problem, please don't fight it out in the thread. Please go to the erebus chat room where Lj or I will try to work it out.
6. No instant-win stories. A complete domination is very boring. Give your opponent a good showing.
7. If you have outside-the-box ideas, please PM me or LemonJelly.
8. We encourage original ideas, even if they don't fit conventional lore. This is a non-canon story. (This goes along with rule 7)
9. Story length and quality does not matter. The preferred length of a story is at least two paragraphs, but it is not mandatory.
10. Some people like to write. A lot. As such, if you are posting like crazy to the point where no one can get a word in, we'll PM you and let you know. You won't be in trouble we just want people to get their stories in.
11. Respect the story lines of other users. If another user has a storyline involving your civ, say a battle, work with that user to decide who you truly think would win that battle. Be respectful.
12. Have fun!

This one will be slower-paced so people can get their stories in when they want to. You don't need to know the history since most of it was lost during the Ice Age. Me and Lj will randomly post little "tablets" that civs have found to explain what happened between MSI and MSII.

Players

Nortek - Cypher132
Grigori - Dean_The_Young
Amurites - ArcticNightWolf
Elohim - LemonJelly
Clan of Embers: thomasberubeg
Kuriotates - Zugvogel
Balseraphs - ornom0n

Boryn - TC01
Krinith - FireBlaze
Comillo - DiamondEye

For a massive 2500x2500 version of the map, go here.

A little story about what happened to the Amurites.
Spoiler :
The Amurites. A name that once brought trust, and a little bit of awe, for the Amurites had magic running thick through their blood. And this magic could be called upon with ease, but this wasn't enough. The final rune in the Illian rites was cast, and the very airs of the world grew colder, and colder, until the farms were frozen and the crops died. Then, when the grand cities of the Amurites were dying, people starving, that's when the Illian army attacked their sworn enemies. They froze and slaughtered, enslaved and maimed, until nothing was left of the once-grand cities.

But, when the Illians went back to their icy caverns, and the world thought the Amurites were conquered, there was a brave, young woman with a massive quest. For, there were still Amurites left in the world. For, there was a island, with a name of "Deadlands", where the combined forces of the mighty Elohim, Amurite and Bannor armies gathered to ward of the evil in the world. The Bannor left after the battle, but the Elohim and Amurite armies settled down.

Time passed, the ice spread, little did the small band of survivers know that their civilizations had been destroyed, for the Elohim capital lay in ruins, its great king frozen on his throne. This little group of survivors eventually stopped praying, for their prayers went unanswered. The magics kept them going, ticking over, and a complex culture arose; the Elohims kept their spirituality, but developed a series of rituals to channel arcane energies, where the Amurites became fixated with the beauty of the magic they could control. And, once the ice spread to the island, and the tribes were pernamently seperated, their cultures drifted apart again. Most of the knowlege of the previous age was lost, and even though the tribes had an organised government, it was starting to unravel. If the ice lasted much longer, they would become little more than barbarians.

But one day, the sun came out, and the ice started to melt. Now, with the grass starting to grow, the tribes are coming out of their little caves and will attempt to rebuild a civilization of majesty, lasting for all eternity.

Please put your stories in spoilers so that it doesn't crowd the page. Thank you.

Deremei's Thoughts
Spoiler :
Deremei Diranth sat on a rock and watched the Goblins around him push the snow into piles and place poles into the ground to signify where the tents would go. It had been 134 years and the snow had finally let up. He and his Goblins returned to the service and were beginning to build their capitol of Oren. However, while he was glad his race was able to continue, he still had that looming question on his mind. It was always there, bothering him no matter how hard he tried to block it out.
Why is he still alive? This Ice Age began 134 years ago, but he looked no older than 17, the day he got in the crossfire of the mind node rupture. His people believe him to be a miracle, to be a god. Some have even begun a religion with Deremei as their god. Their called themselves Deremites, a name Deremei thought was ridiculous, and would worship wooden and stone carvings of Deremei Diranth.
He studied any books that his people were able to bring with them, but nothing would explain his prolonged life. So, he tried to put it behind him. He was blessed with the intelligence that his species lacked and had been granted what seemed to be eternal life. Now he was going to put these gifts towards earning respect for his hated people.

Spoiler The Citadel of Trials, Capital of the Grigori :
Citadel of Trials opens, Grigori Consolidate Behind Prime Minister Esirce

When Auric's Reign of Stasis came, the Grigori people were caught up in the same chaos as the rest of Creation. Tossed and caught about as the earth morphed and changed, the once-great Grigori Progress was dashed, it and it's Overcouncil alies torn apart and even against eachother as the Stasis froze mortals and demons alike.

During the Stasis, some did not die: nobles, commoners, merchants and paupers, there seemed to be little consistency between those who's spirits resonated with and in opposite of Auric's sphere. Their bodies froze in time, never aging, from Auric's rise and beyond his fall. These Grigori, the last of the First Grigori Progress, remembered their traditions, their cultures, their Eternal Consul Cassiel. Prime Minister Esirce was the leader of those Grigori, and remains the leader into this age.

When the freezing winters came, those who would survive the Stasis made way to the one Grigori fortress that was beyond the Winter's hand, the Citadel of Trials. Once an island fortress captured from the Infernals, the Hell Terrain deep in underground caverns kept the Grigori lands above warm, and kept the Grigori warriors in steady practice against the occasional demon and hell beast that wandered between realms.

The Stasis has ended. Auric is dead, and the Grigori will to a woman swear it was one of their own who did the deed. Now the Citadel of Trials, once the training ground of feared Dragon Slayers, last home of Grigori who trained their minds and bodies in the Caverns of Perdition, will be the base of harbor for the Grigori return to the Continent, and to their Destiny.

Deremei on a Tower
Spoiler :
The Goblins carried the wood to the pile then trudged back to get some more. Oren was under construction and it was going quickly. The Goblins were inspired to rebuild and to show the other races that they still have the might they once had. Atop a tower in the center of the city stood Deremei Diranth, looking out over the various construction sites and feeling a sense of pride. His people had survived the Ice Age and now they are rebuilding. His people truly are resilient. He heard the footsteps echoing from the stairs, but chose to continue looking out across what will be Oren, believing it makes him look for official.
"Sir, military bunks have been constructed, a shelter for our people to live in has been built, but many Goblins will be left outside, sir." The visitor was Deremei's 2nd-in-command, Golrag Screamhunter. He had been placed in charge of the construction of Oren and it was time for his daily update. Deremei nodded and turned to Golrag. "This is good and bed news. Erect tents for those who can't sleep in the shelter to at least protect them from the elements. How long until completion?"
Golrag looked out over the many construction sites. "Well, the men are inspired and they move quick, but we're going to need to build more homes for the people to live in. Several of our men suggest building a wall, or at least a blockade." Deremei thought this over. This is why he had chosen Golrag, always thinking ahead. "Yes, build a blockade and make a night-time watch. I still want those tents erected, but do it after the blockade is built. Make sure the people are occupied. We have a long road."

The Citadel Of Light

Spoiler :
Ethen looked out across the plains, the sun reflecting off the snow that still laid on the ground. She looked across, at the families who she lived with, in the massive Cavern Lacunus. A strange crystal grew there, pleasantly warm, which emitted a golden glow. This crystal had kept the clan alive for the past 150 years, and now the families could set up a city again, under the open sky.

She looked across, and her eyes settled on the Citadel. Legend says that it was once a grand temple, dedicated to light and love. Ethen had a dream, a dream in which she would lead the Elohim on to great heights, and it started today.

She led the families out, across the field, out into the dormant trees. She walked across, and they waited outside the ruins of the great building. Then, she stepped across the threshhold, and climbed on top of the staircase.

"We have a grand legacy to fufil, and it starts here. With the reconstruction of the Cathedral, we can move forwards, and restore all that was lost. For Thessalonica, we have this mission, for Thessalonica, we start today and live for eternity!" And, with this, Ethen called upon the powers of the Lacunus, and in a flash of pure light, the snow around the Citadel melted, and the trees awoke to the new age and the old sun.

BETWEEN NOW AND THEN

Some parts might not add up but I did too much work to go through it. Enjoy. Oh, and the Lanthis in this story is not the GP. They just happen to share a name.

Spoiler :
It had been two hours since she had been given the news about the threats to her city. Antia, the Vampire Queen paced in her throne room, awaiting her assistant along with the detachment of Moroi she had demanded. To Arawn's Vault with the lot of them, Antia needed to get the Hell out of there. She had just returned from a failed assault on the Spiritbane Tribe of Werewolves when she was informed that the Bannor and the Infernal both had their eyes on her gem of a city, Lacuna.
She stopped pacing and looked up as her assistant walked in with six men carrying leather sacks on their backs. They were all pale, kept in the darkness and training to become the top of the Moroi military branch. "Is this everyone, Lanthis?" Lanthis nodded to his queen. "Yes, milady. I chose to keep our group small as to avoid detection. We've brought gear to set up camp and the items you requested." True, Antia had requested some items, but they were necessary. Despite being undead, she was still a woman and wanted her new home to lavishly decorated as well. "Yes, well, I need my belongings. No questions. Now, who are all of you?
Each Moroi looked similar, pale with long hair, either dark brown or black, and large muscles. "Vimoce" "Ota" "Jennus" "Nethel" "Juthyn" and "Elyan" they claimed to be. "Alright, then. Ota, Vimoce. Lead the way. The rest get into formation. Lanthis and I shall be in the middle." The small group passed through the door behind the throne into the servant's quarters. It was a dark place with shabby furnishings. Lanthis approached a wall and drew a rune on a brick and the wall swung outwards. "This is the passage. It should lead us out into the forest."
Then Antia turned as she heard a commotion behind her and realized the Bannor had entered the Palace. "Agares be damned. They've gotten in. Can we shut this door behind us?" Lanthis looked at the door then back at his queen. "Yes, I believe we can. It might take some time however." "I don't care, do it" snapped Antia. She passed through the archway followed by Ota, Vimoce, Elyan, and Juthyn. Jennus and Nethel stayed outside the passage waiting for the Bannor to arrive while Lanthis cast the rituals required to shut the passage door again. A small Bannor attachment came bursting through the servant's quarters door and shouting "Halt, demons!". Jennus and Nethel picked up a large dining table and threw it in the Bannor's direction. Several dodged, but two were crushed by the weight of the table. The two Moroi unsheathed their swords and ran to meet their Bannor enemies.
Jennus drove his sword into the heart of one Bannor soldier, pulled it out, and swung it at another who barely avoided the swing. Jennus swung his blade again and the Bannor ducked, driving his dagger into the Moroi's side and ran behind a table to put some distance between him and the Vampire. Jennus gripped the hilt of the dagger and yanked it out with a loud roar and advanced on the Bannor soldier. The Bannor threw a large chair at the Moroi, but it only added to the rage of the Vampire. Jennus leapt over the table with a loud shriek and landed on the Bannor soldier. He clawed at the man's face, drawing blood with each contact and relishing in the screams of the dying man.

Nethel jumped up onto a table and threw one of the daggers in his belt at a Bannor soldier, scoring a successful hit in his forehead. He pulled out another one and prepared to throw another before the remaining Bannor men he was facing grabbed the table and flipped it over, causing the Moroi to fall to the brick floor. One man pinned the vampire under the table and the other drove his sword through it, impaling Nethel on the other side before withdrawing the sword and driving it through the Vampire's head.
Jennus grabbed the soldier's head and twisted it, snapping his neck then turned to see two more soldiers running towards him. He roared and raised his sword before they were on him, hacking at him with their swords. Antia shouted to Lanthis "Close the door! There's nothing we can do for them!" Ota protested and tried to get through the passageway, but was restrained by Vimoce and Elyan. Lanthis close the door behind him and sealed it before summoning a ball of fire in his hand to light their way. "We are off to a very bad start." sighed Antia.

Captain Orgerd stood atop the battlements of his newly won city. He regretted the loss of life involved in the conflict, but the Vampires are an abomination and require extermination. His liutenant, Mabrid, approached him. "Sir, we've dispatched the last of the Vampires in the city, but we couldn't find Antia. Do you want us to sweep the city again?" "No. No, she's gone. Don't underestimate a Vampire, Mabrid. They are cunning, smart. She probably had a back up plan. We'll find her. Hire one of the Nightwatch Assassins that came with us to hunt her down. She should be in the forest soon enough.
Mabrid bowed and strode toward the town center. He saw several citizens thanking the soldiers for freeing them from the Calabim, soldiers exaggerating their part in the fight, and, staying to themselves, the Nightwatch that accompanied them. He approached the dark alley they were congregated in and bowed. "We thank you for your help. Speak to Captain Orgerd and he shall give you your payment. However, we need one of you to track down a person of interest. The Vampire Queen, Antia. Are there any willing?"
The Nightwatch looked at eachother and seemed to be arguing silently before one stood. "I shall do it. I am Rilvia of Gaudium and I expect double payment for this witch's head." "Yes, yes. You shall receive extra for this mission. Captain Orgerd expects her to be in the forest by dusk. I suggest you head out." Rilvia nodded and bolted out of the city. Mabrid watched him leave then turned to address the rest of the Nightwatch only to find the alley was empty. "Damn Nightwatch.."

Juthyn and Ota gave the all clear and the rest of the survivors exited the passage into the forest. Antia looked around her and saw trees, plants, and animals of all kinds. As she approached a deer it ran away, sensing what she was. She sighed then turned to Lanthis. "Ok, Lanthis. Where to now?" "I'm not quite sure, milady. I'm sure we can find a cave in the mountains to hole up in and rebuild our strength..I hear there are many near the Clan village of Hezic'kul." Antia looked at the surviving Moroi and nodded. "Alright. The mountains outside Hezic'kul. It's almost dusk so we should have at least two hours of sunlight to travel by. After that, we camp for the night. Continue travel in the morning." The Moroi all nodded and picked up the remaining leather sacks. Juthyn and Elyan led the way with the rest of the group behind them. Ota kept looking back to see if anything was falling, but aside from a falling leave for a branch swaying in the wind, there was no sign of life.
"We'll need to be careful out here. These forests are infested with Muris Clan Goblins. We're bound to run into a few sooner or later." warned Lanthis. The Moroi vocalized their understanding and continued marching on. Antia looked at the trees and the plants as they traveled and soon got lost in thought.
"I left my wife back there. To be slaughtered by those heathen Bannor..I should've stayed. I should've protected her.." The group stopped and looked to Vimoce. Finally, Juthyn spoke up. "Vimoce.."I, too, had a wife..And a daughter..Three winters old..I saw her..Crushed. By the door when the Bannor barged into our house..I hurled myself through the window and tried to pull my wife through but the Bannor got her first..I ran and I ran until I ran into Lanthis..He told me we were getting the Queen to safety..I wanted to save my family, but I knew my duty was to the Queen..So I followed..And..Well..You know where the story goes from there."
All were quiet for a moment as Juthyn sat on a nearby stump and weeped tears of despair. "I could've saved them..They could still be alive if I had just believed the warning that the Bannor were here.." Vimoce patted him on the back and attempted to improve his mood. "I understand how it feels..I too lost family and friends.." Antia looked to Elyan as he spoke up. "I was..In the pub..Drinking with my friends. Having a good time. Laughing about old times..Ribbing Tholek for losing the bet on the Bloodpet Race..And then the door came crashing down and men in armor swarmed the room. They cut down all who stood in there way and those that merely watched..I managed to somehow fight my way out, but not before seeing Tholek's face as a spear was driven through his chest..It a look of pure pain..Pure despair..All I could do then was run..I saw..I saw a group Moroi running to the Palace so I followed them..And now I'm here hoping to save the Queen and save the legacy of Lacuna."
Antia fought back a few tears after they had told their stories. She had never cared for the people in her city, but now being equal with them and hearing their stories of heartache made her despise the way she used to be. "I..I should have been ready..For the Bannor..Instead I was carrying out a personal vendetta against Werewolves that had done a thing to us in the 53 years that I've run Lacuna and my only passion was to wipe them out..Now the entire city of Lacuna was destroyed." Vimoce patted Antia on the back. "Can I ask why you wished the Werewolves harm?" She pushed his arm away and glared at him. "Because they are abominations. No natural being would exist the way they do. What they are is a curse, a blight on Erebus. I say the Gods should have killed Halfmorn before he created more." All were silent as they continued on their way through the forest in a somber mood.
Rilvia hung onto the tree branch, holding his legs up in the leaves with all his strength so that the Vampires wouldn't see him. Their stories were very saddening and, if he wasn't a Nightwatch or getting paid this job, he probably would've spared them. But it was his job to eliminate them so he assessed the situation. The Vampire in the rear seemed to be aware of his presence, he'd need to be more careful. As soon as the group continued, he pulled himself up and jumped to a branch on the next tree. He'd have to take them one-by-one. A direct attack on Antia would only fail. He'd have to take out the attentive Vampire first and possibly the Orc mage. He would be trouble. Rilvia planned out his attack as he continued to follow the group through the trees.

Antia sat on a log by the campfire as Ota poked at the embers with a stick. "We're going to need more wood soon.." "It can wait. We need to decide how we're gonna survive tonight." replied Antia. They all looked to Lanthis and he looked up from the fire. "Ok. I guess I'll come up with the ideas..We'll sleep in shifts. Two at a time. Tomorrow we'll see if we can catch a deer or two for blood. Keep an eye out. The Muris Clan may seem stupid, but they're cunning. They could sneak up on you." The group nodded in assent and quited. "Ota. I sense you're troubled. You've had that same mournful look on your face all day." Ota looked Elyan "Jennus and Nethel were my brothers..While the six of us were marching to the throne room we had made a pact..To protect eachother..We promised that all of us would make it out of this alive and I failed them..Even if I do survive this, there's no way I can forgive myself..It's just..I need some time to myself..I'm going to get some firewood so we don't sleep in the dark." Ota stood up and nodded at Elyan. Elyan nodded back and took up the task of poking the fire with a stick. Antia watched him leave then looked back into the fire.
Elyan sighed as he watched him leave. "I've known Ota for years..He was always such a spry, happy person. If something needed to be done, he'd have it done twice as fast as most. If there was unruly bull, he would be able to wrestle it down and tie it up to take care of it. But now..Now he seems..Empty..As if the Elyan I once knew is gone..He was a simple iron smith that doubled as a back up Moroi..That was his passion. He would create the finest swords and test them himself. Take them into the wild, to the lands of Goblins and test that sword to see if it broke or if it cut flesh. If it did, he kept it and ran back to Lacuna. I don't know what would happen if one didn't, because not a single sword, spear, shield, or breastplate he made ever broke or cracked..He was a good man and now..I don't know.." Elyan went silent again and stared back into the fire.
Ota walked through the dark, seeing better than most with his Vampiric eyes. He kicked a few loose rocks as he mourned his lost friends. He sat on a rock nearby and remembered all the times they had. Playing in the house, their parents scolding them when they did bad, the first time he was fed Vampiric blood..The first time he picked up the hammer and forge and created the very sword he carries with him. He sighed and stood to complete his task. He picked up a few fallen branches when he heard a crunch. He dropped the branches and drew his sword. He looked around in the darkness, holding his sword before him. He saw movement to the right and swung his sword in that direction, hitting nothing but air. He turned back around and scanned his surroundings, trying to find the source of the commotion when an arrow pierced his throat.

Rilvia sat on a log next to the dying Vampire. He was annoyed with himself for making noise and alerting him, but the job got done. He looked down at the Vampire. "I am truely sorry for your losses. I would feel the same way if I lost my brothers as well. But, unfortunately for you, I was contracted to kill the Vampire Queen and her entourage. And you're part of her entourage." He jabbed Ota's neck, causing more blood to seep from the wound. "Oh, you have something in your neck. Let me get that." Rilvia pulled the arrow out of Ota's neck and blood began pouring out of the open wound. "I know right now you're boiling with hate for me. I can't ask for foregiveness, but at least I can tell you that now you can go to Camulos's Vault with your brothers." He bent down and yanked out one of the creature's fangs which he put in a bag hanging from his belt. He looked up at the moon and looked at the dim light coming from the Vampire's camp fire in the distance. "Well, it was nice chatting with you and I thank you for the parting gift, but I gotta get going. You know, people to kill, heads to take." He dragged the now-dead body to the nearby river and dumped it in before climbing back up into the trees and out of sight.

The next morning Antia and her group searched for Ota, calling his name before giving up after an hour. "I guess the Goblins got him or he fell into the river. We need to keep moving. The Bannor could be searching for us." Antia nodded at Lanthis's statement and the group set off again, heading in the general direction they were headed the night before. Elyan sniffed the air and cringed "I smell Orcs. We must be close." Lanthis sniffed the air as well and nodded. "Aye, we must be close. Keep your weapons at the ready, if they see us, they might attack." Elyan took up the front as the rest followed behind him.
They pushed branches out of their way and chopped away the ones they couldn't pass. Juthyn surveyed the surroundings, ready for anything ready to attack them. Because of this, he didn't see the rope hanging in front of him and walked into it. Before he could make any noise he was lifted up into the trees as Rilvia tightened the rope around his neck. Juthyn struggled with the Assassin before finally falling limp after a few minutes. Rilvia tied the dead Vampire to the tree with the rope and jumped to the next tree limb.

Vimoce turned around and called to the group. "Wait! Where's Juthyn?" Antia walked up next to him. "Wasn't he right behind you?" "Last time I checked, yes. He was right here and then he just vanished." Elyan looked around. "Something's following us. We need to stay aware. Let's keep moving." The group continued on, more cautious than ever now that they were aware of a follower. After a few hours, they stumbled upon a Goblin Fort. Antia and Lanthis stepped forward and looked at the fort. "Lanthis." "Yes, milady?" "Why are all the Goblins dead?"
It was true. Goblins lay strewn about the fort, hanging from the sharpened sticks of the palisade, crumpled on the ground with their throats slit, and several more with their skulls caved in. "I don't sense anything alive inside, but anything could've happened here." Antia glanced at the several Goblin corpses. "We could use this as a temporary camp. Vimoce, Elyan. Sweep the fort. Lanthis and I will remain outside." The Moroi nodded, unsheathed their weapons and entered the fort, unaware of a green figure climbing over the side of the palisade.

Vimoce and Elyan lit a torch and opened the door to the inside of the fort. They peered inside and, satisfied that there was nothing waiting, entered the building and began their search. They found several more corpses, all killed in similar fashion to the Goblins outside. They found chests full of stolen valuables, jewelry, and gold. Elyan found an oil lamp on the table and lit it, holding it up as he searched the room. Vimoce exited the room and entered the room across the hall and began his search. He realized he must be in the armory because their were weapons and armor hanging on the walls. As well as more Goblin corpses. He bent down and lifted one of the Goblin's heads and saw its throat was slit.
He heard the door shut behind him and spun around. Before him stood a tall, lizard-like creature holding a sword he must have stolen from the armory. It shrieked and lunged at him as Vimoce dropped his torch and held his sword upwards. The Lizardman swatted the Moroi's sword aside and drove his sword forward, puncturing nothing but air as Vimoce avoided the strike. Vimoce swung his sword at the Lizardman's leg and sliced its hamstring, denying it use of that leg. Vimoce brought his sword back up to deal another blow when a large stone mace caved in the back of his skull.
Enyal heard the commotion and went to the door that Vimoce entered. He stood to the side of it and opened it quickly. He started as a Lizardman lunged out expecting to find prey but finding nothing. Enyal drove his blade into the Lizardman's neck then kicked it off his sword. He entered the room and saw another Lizardman race towards him. He saw Vimoce dead on the floor with his torch laying next to him, still burning. Enyal unlit his lamp and dumped the oil on the Lizardman. The creature swung its mace at the Vampire, but Enyal rolled over to Vimoce's corpse and picked up his torch. He spun around and held the torch to the Lizardman causing the oil on its body caused it to burst into flames. He watched as it screamed in agony before finally falling to the ground dead.

Antia looked to the fort and saw Enyal exit. "Vimoce's dead..Lizardmen. We didn't see them come in. Didn't look like they came from the Cualli or the Mazatl so they must've been wild." Lanthis cringed. "Then this place isn't safe. Now that they know about it, there'll be more. We need to get as far away from here as possible." He heard a loud shriek followed by several more. "Now." The three remaining Vampires began running through the forest, avoiding low branches and jumping over rocks before coming to the entrance of a cave. Enyal looked back and saw the Lizardmen weren't following them.
Lanthis looked inside the cave then turned to Antia. "This cave will do as a haven. This can be our new home until we figure something out." "No. No, it won't." The Vampires looked up and saw a Nightwatch Assassin standing on a rock above the entrance. "I've been hired to kill you, Antia, and I intend to do so." Lanthis lifted his staff and a flash of blinding light went off in Rilvia's face. The Vampires ran into the cave and down the corridors. Elyan somehow became seperated from Antia and Lanthis in the escape and began searching for them.
He headed down a corridor, holding his sword at the ready in case the Assassin came after him. He came up to a corner in the passage and stopped. He bent down and picked up one of the many stones on the ground. He threw it around the corner and awaited a reaction. After a few moments, he was satisfied that the Assassin wasn't around the corner and turned right into Rilvia's sword.

"Where's Elyan?" Antia looked around frantically. Lanthis lit the area with his staff and glanced around. "The Assassin must have got him. Come, there's a large chamber ahead. Maybe we can catch him off guard." They entered the chamber and climbed up behind some rocks and awaited the Assassin's arrival.
Rilvia stalked slowly down the passageway, wary of the Vampires hiding around every corner. As he entered a large chamber, he lit a Glow Stone and held it up. He looked about the illuminated chamber and saw nothing but dust and rock. He strode slowly into the center of the room and narrowly avoided Antia's lunge. Antia rolled on the ground and leapt to her feet with her blade drawn. Rilvia ran at Antia as Antia ran at Rilvia, both of them ready to strike with their daggers. As Rilvia swung, Antia ducked and cut out the tendons in Rilvia's ankles with her dagger. Rilvia fell to the chamber floor and screamed in pain. He reached for his dagger, but Antia placed her foot on his arm and grinned at him. "You've given me a lot of trouble, Nightwatch. I don't like trouble." Lanthis strode up beside Antia, grabbed Rilvia by his arms and stood him up. Antia ran her hand across his cheek and dug her fangs into his neck. Rilvia began to scream, but stopped as he began to feel pleasurable sensations coming from his neck. He felt listless, calm and content. He felt tired. So very tired.

Antia and Lanthis stood at the entrance to the cave and looked out into the forest. "So, Lanthis. What do you know?" "Well, we're where we planned to be. Hezic'kul is just through the trees there so we can abduct some of the Orcs to supplement our forces." "And our guest?" "Still sleeping. He is changing however, but he won't be able to do anything about it." "Good. Do we know the name of this cave?" "Yes, we do and it suits us perfectly." "What is it called?" "They call it Blood Den."

[Amurites] Founding of New Cevedes
Spoiler Founding of the New Cevedes, the future capital of the Amurite nation :
„Sir, wake up.“ somebody whispered in twilight. Was it meant to me? There are at least 5 families in this cave so I may not. I hope it wasn't to me, because last night it was full moon and we were on hunt. We succeeded, but we were chasing deer far away, so we just returned. But wait, did he said sir? That man wasn't from our cave, we here know each-other and we call else by name. In that case he must be from other cave which means he wants to speak with me, because I'm member of council. Sometimes I wish I wasn't.

„I'm not asleep. I just lied down.“ I replied with my eyes still closed. „You are requested in elder council.“ man spoke. I turned to the other side. „Can't it wait a little bit? I was whole night at hunt and I just returned.“ It was poor excuse, but I had to try it. However the man insisted „Sorry sir, they don't seem to be very patient.“ They never are. It was pointless to argue so I gave my last chance to sleep up. „Well then, I'm going.“ I sighed.

Elder council. In our old homeland it was noble building evoking awe with highest mages advising the king what to do. And nobody even dared to thing about questioning them. However nowadays it's quite different. Since we don't have any leader, council is in charge. (It is now something like 140 years since Tya Kiri went mad and committed suicide.) And in council there is actually only one mage Niad, the rest are masters in their professions. It's only habit calling it elder council – it was always called this way and we had no reason why to rename it.

I stepped out of cave. Sun was rising and streams of light started to shine on woods and plains, ice has disappeared. It started melting few years ago, something's happened, nowadays it's not even that cold it used to be – anyway I'm glad for that. Far away behind river there was citadel. Citadel of Light as Elohim calls it. They always were spiritual and they kept believing in Gods. I guess that may have been the reason, why we are separate. We are more pragmatic - gods won't help you. You have to rely only on yourself. And if somebody asked me in what I believe, I think I'd answer that in elements. After all – at least it's something you can actually feel.

I walked towards near cave, where council is sitting. When I came inside, Niad said „You're late, so we started without you“. As always – I'm not early bird and they get used to it. „I'm sorry Niad.“ I apologized and took a seat. Mage turned to the person in middle of cave. “Please, proceed, craftsman.” Man continued in his nervous speech „I-it starts to be overcrowded here in caves. And, well, scouts have discovered, emm, nice place for an-n eencampment. So I thi- we think that it may be convenient to, em, found it.“ Niad raised his eyebrows. “An encampment?” It caught mage's interest … or his twisted sense of humor – no-one can be sure what that man is thinking about. Craftsman went on “It's not that cold o-out there a-and there w-was no snow for l-like 2-3 years.” He was a bit more sure in his speech, but his voice still shook. I asked him. “And what prevents you from doing so? No-one holds you here.” Craftsman replied “It's just thing that we could use some help with building.” I still didn't understand, so I answered him what seemed to be logical answer “You can take anyone whom you can convince.”

The old man sitting next to the tree in the New Cevedes stopped narrating. “That's how this settlement was found.” It was sunset and last sun rays were falling upon small wooden cottages on the hillside.

first try, please don't stone me :)
please ignore lack or wrong use of the "the" words :D

Spoiler The Fail-Safe :
The Fail-Safe

Boryn leaned on his staff and reflected. He remembered vividly his initiation as a Priest of Winter and the events afterward. It seemed only moments had passed since he had been initiated and the Second Thaw, but it had really been several days. He remembered Dunmanios himself formally accepting him into the White Hand priesthood and giving him the nam, and then just as vividly remembered Dunmanios collapsing, and screaming of fire and doom, and then dying.

Dunmanios was only the first to die, of course, but he was the oldest and most powerful of the High Priests of Winter. He was the closest to Mulcarn Reborn.

All his fellow priests died this way, as they had during the First Thaw. Then, the other citizens of Garduk, who had felt the disturbance but not been as strongly affected by it, pounded open the doors to the chamber of the priests and found him standing there, watching the dead and dying priests, the leaders of their society. Perhaps, Boryn thought bitterly, they might have bowed down to him and worshipped him as the next Mulcarn Reborn, but someone shouted something, rousing the crowd into an angry mob who wanted retribution. They found him, and threw him out of the city.

But he knew why he had been spared. Auric had done it. Before his death, Auric must have picked a Priest of Winter and... done something to him... that made him immune to the burning. Made him a living fail-safe device. It even made sense why it was him, and not a greater and more experienced priest. As the newest of the priests, no one outside of Garduk knew who he was. He was unknown, and would easily be able to pass for someone like a wandering sage or scholar, studying ice magic as an idle curiosity.

He had decided to study the works of Badb. The first ice mage in the world, Illian lore held that Badb was the second greatest of the archmages, second only to Kylorin himself. Badb had stayed neutral in the War of Magic and designed great spells of winter that could alter all of Creation itself. He had founded the Illian Empire and brought them out into the frozen wastes. But he was killed in a duel with the first High Priest of Winter, as Badb refused to acknowledge Mulcarn's authority.

Anyway, he ventured out into Mazera, only to find it uninhabited and abandoned. In another age he would go visit the great libraries and do research there. But there were no libraries- at least, not yet.

So he decided instead to search out for Badb's ancient fortress in the icy mountains. Ancient texts in Garduk had given several possible locations. He could remember all of them, but the world had shifted greatly since those texts were written. Boryn was in for a lot of work, then.

Story introducing my character, and also talking a little about the downfall of the Illians, my old civ in Mazera 1. I'm not going to own a civ- at least, not right now- but I will be focusing on this ex-Illian and talking about their history.

Luchirp the 1st: Greed be Gagged!

Spoiler :
The world beneath the world, bereft of sunlight but rich in life nonetheless. This was where the Khazad, seeking to be nearer the All Forge, had fled to when the unending chill had come to the surface. They had taken the Luchirp with them, all that remained of the free dwarves upon Erebus. Dwarves not subjugated under Mammon's unceasing grasp, yet put to work mining the precious gems and minerals of the deep tunnels only for the benefit of Khazad storehouses. A free spirit is hard to stamp out however, so the Luchirp remained a free people in spirit and endured the hardships of their physical reality.

Months stretched into years. Years into decades. The Khazad, encumbered by their greed and sheer mass of physical wealth became sluggish in expanding away from their vast storehouses. Over time the Luchirp slaves adjusted to their place in Khazad society, assuming more of a role in mining expeditions that increasingly traveled farther afield. They became accustomed to the ways and mannerisms of their masters intimately, learning to use their distrustful nature against them. The slavers kept no roster, so the Luchirp devised a system of rotating the strongest among them out of the most strenuous labor and into other, more ambitious endeavors.

The ingenious Luchirp devised a sign language and taught it to what would eventually become the core of a resistance. As in any resistance but especially in a dwarven resistance, emotions ran hot and eventually actions were taken that (sanctioned or not by the Hammerhead) could not be covered up. When the dead Khazad slavers arrived before King Jarent Morarr, three this time, not the one every once in a while as before which was why he was looking at them now, the king looked to his most trusted counsel and growled "It seems th' remnant of life remains yet in th' corpse of the Luchirp nation".

From among the small group of most trusted, one stepped forward a single step and spoke, "Richest, our great people have attained a place of total comfort and mastery over our immediate tectonic plate. One might view th' remnant of that foolish race we blessed with slavery as unneccessary in this new era we have achieved." King Morarr paused, considering the strength such a rumor might attain in the circles of intrigue.
"And how many view that remnant as expendable now?" he said aloud, preferring bluntness as all dwarves do.
The councilors shuffled, waiting for the one who had spoken to answer.
"Surely you could proclaim th' lot of them fed to th' hook horrors and no one would question it... But," he continued under the glare of the nefarious king, who wanted this councilor to be the one who spoke of the consequences of such an action, "...but there's th' matter of further mining expeditions. There would have to be recruitment from among th' citizenry. W-we could set up a new treasury division hedge fund to offset th' wages they'd be paid." the councilor finished, knowing that he should shut up while he could.

"Indeed." King Morarr muttered, and the councilors fell silent, seeing that Morarr was contemplating the profit to be gained or lost in the face of the Luchirp's extermination once and for all.

Foremost in Jarent Morarr's mind at that moment was the problem that had been plaguing him most in the recent weeks. Namely, that of the expansionist movement within the ruling class which had been spreading a disturbingly popular rumor that the Khazad had been stagnating under his rule. If he did indeed do away with these apparently dangerous slaves once and for all and was forced to recruit (and pay!!) Khazad citizens in order to keep the profit margins stable, would that not prove the naysayers right? Not to mention the increase in potential for embezzlement of The Khazad's main economic drive in a subterranean existence, raw ore.

Just thinking about it, a rich vein shining in the lamplight, brought a sheen to his eyes and Jarent knew that he would have to visit his personal vault soon. A place of a thousand thousand candles lit by a command word known only to him and where all mirrors focused on a central point atop his unsurpassed treasures.
"I want th' Rations cut by half- no. Three fifths to all slaves, within and without th' capitol. Even those of non Luchirp descent." The king said, already turning away from his most trusted councilors. "Also, how many slaves are still alive from their outrigger squad?" He gestured to the three obviously murdered Khazak slavers.
"Fourteen." one councilor replied.
"Good. Have them all put to death. (fourteen was his lucky number) And make sure people know we're dealing with a budding resistance." he added.
'That should give the public something to stew about besides me' he thought as he sauntered off, thinking then only of the depravity that awaited him.

King Morarr was wrong. There was a certain measured amount of embezzlement of raw ore going on, but not nearly enough to attract attention.
The level of deception in the miners however, really could not be improved upon very much.

When the doomed miners were led through the caves and corridors the other Luchirp slaves would fall silent, one and all and watch with pickaxe stilled until the procession had filed out of sight, despite the whips and maces of their now more numerous guardsmen. The word had been passed down from squad to squad through the signing code and from person to person through whispers to pay such respect to the fourteen brave volunteers of the squad and one other who had been rotated in at the last minute, saving the high level resistance member responsible for the three deaths from his fate.
This young resistance fighter was known as Isak in the work camps but codenamed Blindingstone in the underground network because of an inspiring tale of how he had caught an unsuspecting guard with a heavy stone thrown from a great height, blinding the guard and getting the whole incident ruled an accident. This story was a main reason why a Khazak slaver had been turning up dead here and there under a rock.

It was for Isak that the miners were told to stand and watch the procession. So that he could blend in with them as he stood, unable to move while the unknown volunteer among them sacrificed everything for him.

Hammerhead had told him that the dwarf was sick, that he had iron lung from too many shifts on the silver and gold smelters. That did little to placate him however. Isak fumed, remembering how Hammerhead had kept him in the concealed meeting place until after it was too late to do anything about it, telling Isak that this was his pennance for the consequences of revealing himself to Khazad powers too soon. As he looked now while the doomed miners strode out of view, all Isak could think about was the absurdity of letting over a dozen sympathetic outrigger slaves, -eleven of them full blooded Luchirp- be slaughtered instead of fighting back here and now. He did not think as Jessop Hammerhead, leader of the resistance did. That the consequences of revealing themselves too soon could lead to much more loss of life in the struggle to come.

Direct link to part 2!!

UPDATE

The land is becoming fertile, grass and bushes are beginning to grow. Fields of wheat, corn, and rice have been spotted in several areas, ready for use by the many civilizations of Erebus.​

Stasis had ended. Creation was alive again, free to change, for good and ill. To bloom, to grow, to wither and pass away. The Resonators, those frozen in life, maturity, and manner, across the period of Auric's reign were now free to grow, to develop both physically and maturity in their experiences as they had been unable to before. Children a hundred years old might now grow into adulthood, wizened leaders might finally pass away. Life, and death, had returned.

But the Winter had not ended. Not everywhere. But even in such wastelands, mortals spread and, if not flourished, survived.

One such band of men were here, hunting. Savages descended from a once-great empire, they circled their prey. Though the winter cloak hid all figure, there was an aura of confidence, of determination, that made them realize the danger. It could have been a woman, an elf, even a demon, the way it marched through the terrain as if it owned everything it saw.

They followed, not taking any particular care to hide themselves. What was the point? The two-legged one could not flee or give chase if it had wanted to. They could disappear when they wanted. For now, they tracked. And when it walked to the edge of the plateu, where there was no escape... it wore thick furs and strong leathers, of the sort not crafted since the last age. Even if nothing else, a veritable fortune in these parts.

One tracker, a youth kept immature in a hundred years of the Stasis, was left behind during the attack. The lowest rung, he had no hope of advancement until he could at last grow. Instead, he had been forced to stay, to wait his turn to clean up the scraps.

Five minutes passed. Then ten. Then fifteen. Eventually the boy crept forward, looking for signs or sounds of the hunters at their feast. He crept to the edge of the Plateu, and stopped. There were bodies, fewer than the number who had left, but he was uncomfortably sure that some had plunged off the other side. None of the bodies were of Prey.

Eyes wide, he turned to run back to camp, to inform the elders. He made it half a step before he ran into Prey's broad chest and bounced backwards into the bloody snow. Alarm raced through him, even as he saw the two-tinted fur coat. The inner half had once been the grey wolf pelts that they had soon. The outer, previously hidden, was the pure white of a polar bear.

'Snow-blind' he managed to think before Prey was on him. His knife was knocked far away by the backhand of a gauntleted fist, and Prey's other hand gripped his throat and was pushing it into the ground with enough force to threaten to break it.

The child-of-a-hundred looked into the eyes of his captor, and was dominated by the unnatural ferocity he saw. He saw himself in the eye's reflection, weak and pitiful, and knew that his life was in the other's will. It was terrifying... and at the same time, inspiring. There was no surrender, no hint of weakness, only absolute conviction of purpose and victory. The child wanted that.

Prey cared not about what he thought. Prey, never weakening his position, brought his mouth beside his captive's ear, and said six simple words. A demand, a command, a plea.

Where is the head of Cassiel?

Brothers will fight
and kill each other,
sisters' children
will defile kinship.
It is harsh in the world,
whoredom rife
—an axe age, a sword age
—shields are riven—
a wind age, a wolf age—
before the world goes headlong.
No one will have
mercy on another.

-The Winter, oral tradition, first recorded in year 57 of the Ice Age.

The Fimbulwinter struck the Clans harshly. They had grown weak and yielding in the past age, and the wolves of the north preyed readily on the soft. Like all nations, the Clans nearly faded, destroyed by strife and Kin fighting. But, within the clans burned a fire, a fire which was present in no other people. Those in who the fury and passion of Bhall burned most fiercely survived the cold and the ice, and were gradually drawn back towards the Eternal Flame of Braduk. This trip often took generations, as the weak and unworthy were culled by the wolves and the ice and the storms and the barbarians.

As time passed, a settlement grew around the crater, amidst the ruins of the old city. The Orcs gathered in their old clans, returned to their traditional ways that had fared them so well in the last age.

And, again, a powerful leader rose from the ranks of the Ember Clan, Jonas Endain, descendant of the Orc Warlord of Old, united the clans under a single banner, ready to claim the world as the domain of the Orc and of Bhall.

For, as the ice Spread, The orcs grew to believe that they were the chosen people to lead the world to its fiery end, and that from the ashes, like a phoenix, would rise a newer, purer world.

This end and renewal is inevitable, but can and is delayed actively by the other people of Erebus. To let the world be reborn in the glory of Fire and Passion, the others must be purged.

Mama, I'm Coming Home

Spoiler :
The Ice Age had been harsh for the Hippus. Much of their past had been lost over the years, and the proud culture they had earned lies buried in the permafrost covering their native plains. Their tales tell of a people accustomed to wide fields and open skies, far from the restricting caves they were forced to take shelter in.

The tribe's Elder is the one responsible for keeping the traditions alive. Through these unforgiving years, the Hippus spirit was kept flickering through tales of glorious battle, of the bond between horse and man, and of the strength found in a unified people. The Elders spoke reverently of Rhoanna, a leader from long ago that had united the tribes and taught the splintered groups that their combined might could command respect from the other civilizations. No zealous Bannor or even haughty Ljosalfar would worry about earning the ire of one Hippus tribe, but with Rhoanna's leadership even the most savage foes would dread the sound of hooves thundering towards them.

Still, despite Rhoanna's teachings, when the never ending winter came, the tribes sought refuge on their own. The mountains east of their home plains offered the only refuge from the winds and snow, but many knew that good locations would be rare. Many would rather die on the plains than live in a hole, but many more refused to let this be the end of their people. So, it is told that each tribe became its own entity once more, assigning an elder and other duties amongst its people. They wandered off into the mountains, their companions in tow.

As hard as the winter would be on the men and women, they all knew their greatest challenge laid in keeping their horses healthy and content. Only the best men and women were to be assigned to take care of their steeds. Through the fierce dedication of Hippus hunters and gatherers, enough food was supplied to keep both their people and their companions alive, and the horse tenders kept the beasts fit and calm. During breaks in snowfall when the ground had a chance to settle and the snow pack down, men and women were taught in the tradition of their people to ride as they were born to, always ready for when the winter would end.

Now that the Ice Age is finally loosening its grasp of the world, the riders storm out more frequently, and farther. The reports of green vegetation from the scouts brought celebration to the Tribe Rhoanna, who shares a cave system with Tribe Melathiel. The elders of both tribes have begun preparing their people for their journey back to the plains. They know it will not be easy, for the long permafrosted ground will not be as giving as the lands before, but they know their people deserve to see the open skies and fresh winds.

They send out scouts, attempting to locate the other tribes. Soon the Hippus will leave these wretched mountains, soon they will reclaim their pride, and their glory.

UPDATE

As the ice and snow in the north begin to melt, the water flows to the south. With the rivers flowing again and plant live growing, the first of the cattle have been seen. Many believe that in months, they will likely become abundant. A Nortek Goblin has even reported seeing what was once known as a deer.​

Divinities
Spoiler :
Ethen looked across the island. The river was flowing again, and the snow had ceased. She looked right out, and could see the little settlement of the Amurites. They had lost their faith when the gods didn't answer their prayers. But, the society of the Elohim kept their faith, sure, it grew and developed in the Age, and instead of worshipping one god, they worshipped the Gods of the Earth and Order, the Goddess of Wisdom and Kindness and the God of Truth and Light. They had developed a complex system of prayers and rituals, and each of the twenty-one gods had a Divine Star, and when this shone, the precept they represented was sung about throughout the community.

Ethen looked across at the Cathedral Of Light. Giant wood scaffolding surrounded the ruins, every trees was a life they had taken with permission from Cernunnos, and a massive pile of marble and limestone laid in the dazzling sunlight, each one removed from the ground with thanks to Kilimorph. A mason walked up to the hill where Ethen was sitting. "I'd estimate about a month until the Cathedral is structurally sound again." A month, she could wait a month.

That night, a girl watched the moon travel across the veiled sky. She watched as the pale light played across the new blades of grass, and she stared through the trees into the cathedral. A pale woman appeared next to her. And she pointed a translucent finger at the ruins, and the world shifted, lifting the veil of the future. Ethessa saw a magestic cathedral, sunlight pouring through the massive windows, playing across the gardens, and as she watched, she felt herself fly up into the sky. She saw a grand city, a place where all divinities collected in perfect peace and harmony. And, the sky darkened, and she saw other cities, other civilizations scattered through the world, and, as the angel withdrew the future from Ethessa's eyes, she whispered in the young girls ear a divine duty. And the angel flew upwards, the vision of her existance split into two beautiful trails in the night sky, one firery orange, another lilac.

Perpy had a little break
Hidden near a frozen lake
The ice is about to melt
So buckle your loose belt
Fill your belly with new steak

Because grain is growing
Peasants sowing
To feed my royalty
And gain their loyalty
So, farmers, get going

Top Bottom