Memory Allocation Crash

GSUpHead

Chieftain
I have been playing Civ for a while and the game works fine as long an i dont go bigger than a standard map and even by the end of the game it sometimes crashes. Error given is Bad Memory Allocation

i have a geforce 8600cts, 256 mb card
2 gigs of memory.

do i need to get like 4 gigs of memory or a new graphics card? Or both?

What is needed to play a Giant map with 28 Civs where it does not take 45 secs a turn to process the computer?

Any ideas or help would be nice.

having same problem, memory allocation failure......need help; thats playing civ4 or warlords

sorry i'm a puter dummy....have dell dimension 4600 computer, can't get through half of game, when memory fails.....gos back to desktop screen

please click on
start
then
click on run
then type dxdiag
then hit enter
then click on save results
then come back here and attach the results file to your next post
you can attach files by clicking on go advanced and then on manage attachments :)

ok,that brings up directx diagnostic tool window..which tab do I need to click on under that,to get the information that you need me to save?and do I click on save all infomation tab on bottom?

Yes.
you might be able to obtain a newer graphics driver from Dell (though I doubt it - they suck in supporting their machines) - you should try to see if one is available there.
Your machine has 512 MB of RAM which just meets the minimum requirements of the game - this means that while the game does run somehow it will not run smoothly. You should reduce your graphics settings and any maps above standard size will not really work I fear. However it should not crash with a memory allocation failure - unless it exceeds both the page file and the RAM which is about 2GB combined on your machine. Now Civ4 will use up to 2GB on large and huge maps so 2GB including any other programs that run is not that unlikely. You could try to increase your page file size.

When it crashes how large is the last autosave file that it creates?

memory usage of the game is often 2-3000x the size of the save file (right now I have a game open which uses 300MB of memory but the save I just loaded only has 135kb). So that already exceeds you RAM - but not actually the page file...
Make sure that no other programs are running in the background.
What you should do is open the civilizationIV.ini (in my games\<gamename>\) there is one for each of the two games.
go to the line that says

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 4

and set it to:

; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves. 0 means no autosave.
AutoSaveInterval = 1

this will free some memory by making an autosave every turn. The game is not good and removing unused data from memory though so it will not be a lot.

Now as for the page file:

How to manually change the size of the virtual memory paging file
You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the administrator&#8217;s group to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may prevent you from completing this procedure.

To manually change the size of virtual memory, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
2. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Performance click Settings.
3. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Virtual memory click Change.
4. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
5. Under Paging file size for selected drive, click Custom size, type a new paging file size in megabytes (MB) in the Initial size (MB) or Maximum size (MB) box, and then click Set.
6. Click OK to close the dialog box and apply changes.

Note After you change the size of the paging file, you may be prompted to restart Windows. If you are prompted to restart, the changes will not take effect until Windows is restarted.

Notes

* To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.
* For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size as performance can decrease if a paging file is too large. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use lots of memory, such as graphics programs or games.
* We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file because this can lessen the computer's performance. However, if you decide to delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file.

you might want to set it to min 768MB and max 2048MB

thank you for all your help ,i will try doing this and hope for good results....have a great christmas ....thanks:)

I had the same computer Its got a weak processor power of mybe 2.2-2.4 ghz single-core.

Its been my understandin that say having 3. 6 ghz at work dices up processes/tasks a lot faster. This it would naturally mean it would take a lot more to back up the system

Think of a fast chef and a slow chef that both receive identical portions of veggies for chopping :) Lets say that the longer they work into the night the bigger the portions that need to be diced!. The chef faster with the knife(CPU) lasts longer takin on bigger loads of veggies and dicing em up completely before the next portion arrives. The slower chef gets swamped sooner and flips out!! Crazy! (MAF) :crazyeye:

ALLseems about right to me..but could be all comlpetely wrong I really don't have the slighest . Seems that way with my testin, tho it could be the Cedermill 3.6ghz (2048mb L2) having higher L2 from 3.2 Pressy(1024mb L2) that improved things, or both. I dunno

This has nothing to do with processing power, and please learn the difference between megabytes and kilobytes

This has nothing to do with processing power, and please learn the difference between megabytes and kilobytes

I own the same rig . Im in position to know 100% based on expiernce that when this specific CPU gets upgraded, all other variables constant, the turns speed up inrelation to Civ4. IM sure MAF crash occurances go down to. Otherwords, Increase the 'dicer 'speed the Max stress load increases Debate this?

You know a while back we went at length over the surronding issues with multi-core and monocore (cedar-only specifly) and what the game optimizes in terms of highest playout potential . You said core2 will have civ4 playin faster over any monocore. Of course now the stream of mutilcore complaints has risen up. Its pritty much fact this 'assumption' you were on (good word as you never tested like I had) is false now.

And ya I know. The Northwood he's using has 512kb L2 and the Prescott is 1024mb and Cedar 2048mb respectivly
You know I know to as I mentioned all this with you. Want links?) You lie when you say IM not aware. Still sore? Hows the muticore playin civ4? mybe we run it agaist the cedar for a youtube audience to judge?
Send me a save

Top Bottom