Memory Allocation Error? Help.

Ronnoc

Warlord
Using VISA 3.25, in the later stages of the game I get a memory allocation error, failing, bad allocation or something and the game crashes.

I actually rebuilt the computer not long ago and get this with each build, happens with no other programs, hardware seems fine, only CIV. Is this a Civ or Visa issue?

I am running XP SP2. I also increased the swap file to 3.6 gig for a min and 8.6 for a max.

I appreciate any help, thanks.

This is a function of Warlords, and I also built new computers, it doesnt seem possible to stop it, but you can postpone it. What i do is in the warlords ini i set the automatic saves to save each turn, that way if it does crash i dont lose too many turns. Another thing that helps is too turn your graphics down to low when you get to near the end of the game. Lastly you need to frequently save the game, exit it and restart it. Fortunately BTS does not have these issues. So most of the ViSa team is now working on the WoC. We are adding things from ViSa to the WoC, as seperate modules that you the player can turn on/off. Unfortunately this is the sad reality of Warlords, the MAF can be delayed not really stopped.

This is a function of Warlords, and I also built new computers, it doesnt seem possible to stop it, but you can postpone it. What i do is in the warlords ini i set the automatic saves to save each turn, that way if it does crash i dont lose too many turns. Another thing that helps is too turn your graphics down to low when you get to near the end of the game. Lastly you need to frequently save the game, exit it and restart it. Fortunately BTS does not have these issues. So most of the ViSa team is now working on the WoC. We are adding things from ViSa to the WoC, as seperate modules that you the player can turn on/off. Unfortunately this is the sad reality of Warlords, the MAF can be delayed not really stopped.

I love the VISA mod and have done everything you mentioned above to correct this problem with my limited knowledge. While very frustrating it worked at least until a certain point where it would not get by a cement wall no matter what I tried. I even purchased an additional 1 GB memory stick to add to my already 2GB, however, I can't seem to get it installed (maybe it is the incorrect stick for the computer).

I have loaded up the BTS with the WOC but I have no idea how to make the changes to get some of the things I like best in VISA (eg extended city territory, slow growth, longer marathon game, etc, etc, etc).

Just a rambling two cents comment.

This has nothing to do with how much RAM you have, so you can stop worrying about buying a new RAM stick. It's obviously a Visa bug, since I don't know anyone that has had this problem with normal Civ. I suggest posting the bug here.

Well actually the MAF is a Warlords function/issue, which is why many mods that add things to the game had issues with it. Fortunately in BTS that issue is 99% gone.

Top Bottom