1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[R&F] memory leak making game unplayable

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by madeirabhoy, Apr 14, 2019.

1. madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy Chieftain

haven't played civ vi for a few months but definitely did play it on this 2017 iMac. with only 8gb and I always leave it open rather than quitting so its open for days, weeks, without problems. I have rise and fall but not gathering storm.

so the other day I opened it, started a new game, big map but not tons of nations, fairly normal. only played a few turns then left it open. the next day my computer was crashed and there was a window saying all memory was used quit some apps to free up space. but I couldn't do anything as it was crashed and locked.

I restarted. opened civ vi. started a new game, earth map. and had activity monitor open. it starts out at 680mb use.

but the time the game is on though it's 2.84gb. I played a few moves and then thought maybe I should make the screen smaller and turn off some of the graphics options. surely that will decrease the memory.

by the time I've turned the graphics down from 1920x1200 to 1600x900 and turned off FSAA and shadows and things and started a new game in Europe true positions, memory is up to 4.8gb. two turns in its 5.2gb. I haven't even touched it since as im watching football but without even pressing anything its slowly creeping upwards. now at 6.19gb. sorry make that 6.23gb. and increasing by around 100mb a minute.

5 mins later, 6.55gb and I haven't pressed continue. I then quit as I think its going to crash soon.

2. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

I submitted a support ticket within days of GS’s release. Was told they're testers are not seeing the issue. I did a complete reinstall and went with no mods, memory leak still present. Haven't played the game since. Very disappointed. Right now I'm looking forward to Imperator: Rome's release this coming Thursday, April 25.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019 at 4:58 PM
  3. madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy Chieftain

ive just had an answer to my support ticket, asking me to reinstall, verify files, run disk utility etc...

today I opened a fresh install and left it at the first screen. within an hour it had gone from 2gb to 7gb without me even clicking on new game or open game.

lets see what they say. what machine are you on? I'm on 2017 iMac 27" 3.5 i5, radeon pro 575

4. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

I'm playing on a late-2013 iMac 27", 3.4GHz i5, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M.

Civ6 vanilla and R&F played flawlessly on my machine. I started a game in R&F after the issue with GS. manifested and the same memory leak occurred. Really want this resolved ASAP.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback from Aspyr.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019 at 4:58 PM
  5. madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy Chieftain

after reading that, I went and reinstalled without R&F but still the same.

seems first two steps of aspyr's support are just computer generated, the first gives a list of generic suggestions, and you have to reply to say you've done them, then next is an email telling you there was an update nearly a week ago, and you have to reply to say you have it and still issues. hopefully the next step is a human.

6. madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy Chieftain

nothing more from aspyr but solved it myself.

when you open the first app, and press settings, it asks you if you want to play under metal or opengpl. it defaults to metal (as it should in theory be better). im guessing this is fairly recent thing but maybe its not and its a clash with something.

anyway, memory leak happens 100% of the time for me using metal.
    turn off metal, and certainly this evening so far, no memory leak.

dojoboy likes this.
  7. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Hm, do you mean the first time after installation? I honestly don't recall ever seeing that option. Will look asap.

8. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Nvrmnd, found it. Looked in the Aspyr pop-up settings. Giving it a go.

9. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Did you start a new game, to see the effect? I loaded a save created under Metal and experienced the same lag. Should I begin anew using OpenGL and trash old saves?

10. madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy Chieftain

thing is I didn't need a game open to get the problems, but I started a new game just in case. been open on my computer Ever since with no problem.

dojoboy likes this.