Menu.txt woes...

JPetroski

Deity
SLeague Staff
Hey all,

I'm trying to get Germanicus cleaned up and ready for release, but the menu.txt is giving me headaches and I've forgotten how I got some of it to work in the first place!

I'm just trying to change the orders text from "build airbase" to "build staging area" and "DO NOT USE" to "build city."

I edit the text, I make sure I'm not deleting something important, but I wind up with an orders screen that has half of my changes, and is missing the other. I tried running delevent over the scenario file, but don't know what else to do.

This is TOT 1.1.... Am I missing some key step?

Thanks.

It works if you change it in the main ToT folder, not only in your scenario folder. I tried it and it works. I´ve attached a screenshot. :)

Just replace "Build &Airbase|e" with "Build &staging &area|e" in your GAME.txt file and it should work.

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    124.9 KB · Views: 309
There is something strange going on then, because the menu text in my main folder is not changed at all, yet I have *some* changes in the scenario (but not all)... I wonder what is causing this...

Hm, I only changed the GAME.txt in the main ToT folder and it just works. But it can´t be wrong if you also change the GAME.txt in your scenario folder too.

It's not in game.txt, it's in menu.txt.... Well, at least that's where I'M finding... If you're finding it in game.txt then I must have done something terribly wrong :)

Here's the text in question... Only some of it shows up in game, and I don't know why.

@ORDERS
&Orders
&Build Camp|b
Build &Rough Road|r
Plant &Fields|i
Build &Mines|m
Transform to ...|o
Build &Staging Base|e
Build &Teleporter|j
Build &Marching Camp|f
Automate Settler|k
Suppress &Revolt|p
&Pillage|Shift+P
&Unload|u
&Go To|g
&Ford River|p
Force&March|l
Teleport|n
&Set &Home City|h
&Fortify|f
&Sleep|s
&Disband|Shift+D
&Activate Unit|a
&Wait|w
S&kip Turn|SPACE
End Player Tur&n|Ctrl+N

Edit - This is a relatively minor thing at any rate. I suppose I can patch it later if I manage to fix it. I was just wondering how I managed to get half of it to work, but not the other half!

Oh sorry, I mean menu.txt. I don´t know why I wrote game.txt

And yes, you should change menu.txt in the Original folder (where your scenario folder is located) :)

The thing is I'm checking every menu text I have (Original, Fantasy, Main Game, Science, etc., etc., etc.,), and all are at their default. Regardless, some changes are showing up (for whatever reason) in the main scenario...

I can't remember what I did to get to this point. Is it possible that I originally changed the menu.txt before doing anything else, started and saved as scenario, and then reverted to a saved, original menu.txt? Would that give the same effect, even if the default ones in the default various folders are unchanged?

Edit - thank you both. I'm going to just include a note in the readme that if people would like new menu options, to copy the menu.txt into the Original folder (making a backup of course), as that seems to completely work.

I'm just wondering how I managed to get the results I did. Shrug.

Top Bottom