1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercantilism saving wide empires

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Wojciech Rodzik, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Wojciech Rodzik

Wojciech Rodzik Chieftain

Hi,

Recently I started using Commerce as a dumping place for excessive SPs before Rationalism.

As far as I can see adopting Mercantilism gives you obvious edge:
    - helps you with science penalty (every city will have marketplace, most will have banks, those points will be multipled by libraries\Unis builded)
    - discounts from Mercantilism and Big Ben will matter A LOT when rush buing said libaries, marketplaces in new cities. Hell - you can even go crazy and try liberty\SV:)
    On epic space parts costs 1470 GP - cheap.

I am playing pre patch (don't ask why:( ) so I do not know what's policy required now to have Mercantilism - is it Mercenary army? It used to be Wagon trains - which gave a little more to that strategy...

2. WideCoast

WideCoast Warlord

From http://civilization.wikia.com/wiki/Social_policies_%28Civ5%29 :

Policy: Mercantilism
    Effect: Purchasing items in Cities requires 25% less Gold. +1 Science from every Mint, Market, Bank and Stock Exchange.
    Requirements: Trade unions (<- What the heck is that? :D)

I can't get in game in a month or so, so can't check it, but that's from the wiki. I have no idea what that Trade unions is since it's not even listed as a "perk" in commerce tree. o.O

3. Resipsa

Resipsa King

Merc army is the first policy on the right, after that is Mercantilism and its pretty strong and versatile in that there are ways to pair it with each ideology

Merc Army replaced Trade Unions the wiki didnt get updated.

4. Wojciech Rodzik

Wojciech Rodzik Chieftain

Is Merc Army even useful?

Landskneht units look like waste of money.

At least you should be able to buy larger variety of units.

5. Stellarnight

Stellarnight Warlord

For a start, they can be quite cheap. 200 gold a pop. Capturing a city with them gives you extra gold and pillaging with them cost no movement points. Unlike other units, purchasing a landsknecht allows them to move immediately so in a pinch you can churn out a force in one turn. They never obsolete either and they retain their promotions.
    Can be quite powerful with Arsenal of Democracy as their gold cost never scales.

Venice loves Mercenary Army.

6. Resipsa

Resipsa King

Lulz, they are even better with Mercantilism that makes them even cheaper, they are cannon fodder that give plunder on city attack You can literally lose 2 or 3 attacking a city and just buy more, you don't have to wait for your crossbows to heal.