Mercenary Ideas

Bellyrub

Chieftain
Just a RFC fan saying hi!

I'm wondering if it's possible to divide the global mercenary pool into several smaller ones, each based on a cultural region. For example, the European pool could have Landsknechts and Swiss pikemen, while the Asian pool could have Wakos and Turkic nomads. Not only is this historically accurate, unique units exclusive to the mercenary pool would make mercs an even more enticing option.

Also, I understand as to why the mercenary pool disappears after the discovery of Nationalism, but then again, mercenaries still exist to this day. It's just that mercenaries still exist to this day in the guise of "contracters" and "black operatives". Maybe the mercenary pool could be revived after researching a certain Modern technology as a "black operations" pool. It obviously won't have ridiculous items like tanks or artillery for sale, but it would be perfect for deploying units to defend occupied cities or engage in asymmetric warfare.

It's OK if you disagree with these ideas. But what I really need is a way to incorporate these ideas into my own personal modification of RFC RAND. I appreciate any help that you'll give!

I implemented exactly this feature in the Sword of Islam. It's RFC based but uses the concept of provinces/regions for most features, including mercenaries. Feel free to use it, although it won't be easy to port to vanilla RFC or RFC RAND (province system is in C++/Python, although you could replace it with a Python equivalent by simply checking coords in mercenary module).

Top Bottom