Merchant of Venice - Diplo victory exploit?

zippysguitar

Chieftain
Think I sort or broke the game tonight so it might be a bit of an exploit.

Basically I needed 37 votes to win. But only had 35.

- I voted all my 35 votes.

- Used MoV to buy a CS, which then meant the votes to win was 35 rather than 37.

But as I already voted the votes from the CS I just bought were used & I won. I checked by playing one more turn and I only had 33 votes next time.

Bit of a bug/exploit. But could be used so that you put lots. Ally all CS then leave MoVs waiting in CS territory. Wait for vote. Cast all votes. Then buy CS's to lower votes required to win. Job done.

Not an exploit; it's intentional for the count needed to win as the city states decrease by any means.

As to Austria, bigger advantage for diplomatic victory is to not marry but keep them as allies.

joncnunn, it's intentional for the count needed to decrease, but is it intentional to cast the city state's vote, and then annex it to decrease the count as well? It sounds like an exploitable bug to me.

I think the question is whether the votes for an annexed/diplo married CS should count if you buy them after you've placed your votes.

I think this is such a minor exploit, but a fix could be obviously to recalc votes after a purchase or simply lock out MoV/Diplo marriage on the turn where UN voting takes place.

joncnunn, it's intentional for the count needed to decrease, but is it intentional to cast the city state's vote, and then annex it to decrease the count as well? It sounds like an exploitable bug to me.

Okay, what is going on here is that the number of votes is locked in place right before the beginning of the turn of the vote. (Combined with the human being the first player in all Single Player games)

That locking in place is by design under the normal case of what to do about city states changing allegiance during the middle of the vote.

Yeah, it does seem likely a minor oversight not to lock the votes required to win as well.
But the most common reason for a city state disappearing during the vote isn't Austria or Venice but instead conquest.

Yeah they should really change the number of votes required instantly.

As this can be really powerful. Just 2 VoM or Marriages decreases the vote required by 4. Enough to win with just CS whilst not being host or Wonders, World Ideology etc.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I think this will also happen if the CS is conquered by the enemy.

Top Bottom