1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Merchant Republic should be strengthen

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall: Europe' started by 8ha8ha, Nov 12, 2018.

1. 8ha8ha

8ha8ha Chieftain

In History Merchant Republic trade with every country including muslim so that they got the spice and silk from far east. So Merchant Republic should minimize the instablity from different religion. Also no relationship penalty against different religion. What they focus should be money money and money instead of the God.

2. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Hmm interesting.

3. caphyre

caphyre Chieftain

Maybe, but it's already too preferred by the AI. I think that the Merchant Republic needs some more restrictions to fix it.

The Turk likes this.
  4. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

I agree. Both with the main thought in the opening post and this.
    My initial plan was to add a restriction in the AI civic selection mechanics: it can only choose it, if at least half of it's cities is coastal.
    Would it be better, if something similar was a general rule for the civic? So also applied for the human player?

5. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

Trade does not need to be costal. Just look at the silk road. Trade is attracted by money. I would say: if you have X amount of market+banks+whatever in your cities, then you can switch to MR. I see rather a percentage instead of a plain number. Also i belive big empires should not be able to do this. I mean uf you have 10 cities you cant.

6. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Definitely this. There needs to be restrictions from the AI choosing Merchant republics. If you have more than 4-5 cities, you shouldn't be able to become a Merchant Republic. And no "Republics" if you are a Muslim state (the idea just doesn't make sense in Islamic political ideology).

7. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Trade is attracted by consumers. Does not need to be a "merchant republic" to facilitate this. Republics emerged in Northern Italy because of the weakness of the rural gentry (Lombards), and the strength of civic governments to assert their power vis-a-vis their erstwhile Lombard lords.

I would severely restrict Merchant republics to where it makes sense to have them. Indeed the more I think about it, a Hansa civ would be pretty awesome, to couple the Genoese and Venetians. Or have them be represented as a unique type of "Independent civ".

8. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

This would only work if the Germany civ was reworked a bit—which would be fine by me. I could see it split into an early medieval HRE civ and a late medieval respawn as a much smaller state—Saxony or something.

9. The Turk

The Turk Chieftain

Early Ottonian --> Hohenstaufen Germany can stay as is, but should collapse after. It would be far more preferential to have unique independent civs to represent some of the powerful Duchies and Archbishoprics in the Holy Roman Empire.

10. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

The challenge is of course not making the territory of the HRE so weak that it gets gobbled up by France and Hungary. Maybe make the whole thing a “minor civ” like the Serbs that constantly revolts under foreign rule? But then that’s not historical either..

11. gilgames

gilgames Priest-King

I was thinking about this, but just make no sense gameplay wise. In this case france, hungary, poland and austria will be unchallanged. Only demnark would benefit from it.

12. cmakk1012

cmakk1012 Chieftain

Yeah, gameplay wise it doesn’t work that well.

You’re right about Denmark, though—what if they were given a positive default relation with Germany to prevent conquest?

gilgames likes this.