Merchant steamer

Walter Hawkwood

RI Curator
This is a unit I ripped from Empire Earth II. For those that are here just to grab the shiny new ship, proceed here. It even has an optional detailed 512x512 included, in addition to 256x256 used by default.

But the real reason of this thread, of course, is that there's much, much more where it came from. Most mechanized units in Empire Earth 2 (not humanoid units, though, as their models are too primitive for Civ) can be proceesed in the similar way. The real problem here is animations. For a merchant ship, I didn't have to make turrets move, or cannons fire. But most units will require some postprocessing I'm not willing to undertake. Therefore, this is also a call to all unitmakers wanting some shiny new textured models to turn into complete Civ 4 units (with gloss/damage maps, working anims and stuff) to contact me. And of course, you are free to nag me about what units to rip next.

Here's a little teaser for you (note that textures used are 256x256, and, as usual, higher-res is available).

Quite the teaser indeed. I do hope you'll find people willing to animate what you convert.

Terrific stuff. Animations are overrated IMO, but maybe someone will want to do it.

Terrific stuff. Animations are overrated IMO, but maybe someone will want to do it.

Well, a battleship that doesn't rotate its turrets sideways when engaged in combat will look strange, to say the least. :D

I'll probably release some that don't have moving parts essential for animation, like artillery pieces.

grat units indeed.
also you ment something about artillery units,is something we definately DONT have.will you create artillery then?

Yeah, lack of different artillery units on CFC is disheartening. I'll probably try my hand at converting some of those.
The early cannon would be a nice one to convert.

P.S.
That's not really a "Steamer" BTW...

P.S.
That's not really a "Steamer" BTW...

Yeah, I know, I just needed a name. I suppose "freighter" would be more correct.

More screenshots! I might be able to convert some of the artillery type units.

What, are you going to convert them from screenshots? :lol:

Seriously, though, you're very welcome. Knowing your prowess, you could also supply these with appropriate crews. I'll make several of those babies, pack'em and send them your way then.

my good man,

in case you are interested in this please check this out:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291936

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=189313&d=1222016777

it was a thread created by me.
i was asking for artillery cause as you correct said,we have none.no one is trying to create something like this.we badly need a units like this ww1 field artillery!

There is some field artillery in EE2. I'll send it to Chuggi along with other guns.

My good man,

thank God you have arrived.honestly.i have deserted civ4 cause i have sicked and tired playing the same units again and again,reskinned units in my opinion do not solve the problem.no,we need something totaly different,and you are giving us this chance by your units ready to be created.the freighter-liberty class -graphics are stunning.how did you tranfer a unit from this game so accurate?there are impressive graphics details on the ship.
also the destroyer and the russian missile cruiser,are magnificent.
cant wait,all i can say.

I got an idea and hope somebody is up for it.. to take the balista from the screenshot and the bottom from the original captapult and slap them together and then we have a balista unit...

Here's the preview for the first batch of stuff I sent to Chuggi yesterday; I think you'll find something to your liking there. ;)

Note: whether the crews will be there in the final versions depends on how well the animations conversion proceeds. But frankly, we won't lose much if they are replaced by Civ4 figures.

Here's the preview for the first batch of stuff I sent to Chuggi yesterday; I think you'll find something to your liking there. ;)

Gulp...
I need these!!!
Hope Chuggi will animate them, there are no real good medieval/renaissance siege engines models. Good you chose these ones first.
I can use some already. Any chance to get non-animated models for now?

Top Bottom