1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

"... merely passing through the area."

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Joey Numbaz, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Joey Numbaz

Joey Numbaz Chieftain

When a neighbor approaches me about my large number of units near the border, if I say I'm just passing through the area, how long do I have to wait to declare war on the other civ without getting a penalty?

Also, what is the penalty for lying? As much information about this as possible would be great. I've been googling around, and I can't seem to find any information.

Thanks for any help.

2. AznWarlord

AznWarlord Monarch

I'll assume you'll get the "they believe you are a threat" combine with the usually "they believe you are a warmongering menace to the world. With how long you have to wait, I have no clue, but with this game, it should be 10, 20, or possibly even 30 turns.

3. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

At one point, it was the rest of the game; but that was also when both friendship & denoucement lasted then.

Next time be a bit more subtle if you don't want to be caught.

4. vexing

vexing knows

you get a diplomatic hit with everyone if you lie.
    i'm not sure how long you have to wait - if you want to continue having trade partners you're generally better just fessing up.

i've noticed that if you bring up a trade dialog they may be be less likely to ask about your troops - they will mention it in the trade dialog but not give the question that gives the diplomatic hit. that's just anecdotal.

5. Awahso

Awahso Chieftain

I would bet between 20 and 30 turns. I have noticed that the empires are skeptical about you within the first 10 turns and just keep an eye for another 10. I would wait until 30 if possible before moving in for the invasion.

6. Joey Numbaz

Joey Numbaz Chieftain

Thanks for the replies.

I said I was just passing through. I wasn't ready to invade and it could have been ugly if I did. He was a border civ, so it wasn't like I had moved everyone across the globe to put them there.

Then about 4 turns later, he said he 'had no choice' and while he didn't like his odds, he had to invade and declared war on me. I kind of kicked his butt pretty quickly, so all worked out in the end.

It would be nice though if this were obvious in terms of a set number of turns to avoid the liar tag. There's no way it should last the entire game or anything if the game is constructed correctly. Nothing is forever in diplomacy.

7. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Figures the question would become mute.

Really, the number 1 thing in Civ V that breaks immersion are these desperation DOWs.
    I thought I was supposed to be playing against leaders of nation-states, not terrorists.

8. fmlizard2

fmlizard2 Prince

I usually assume that by declaring war and ravaging a civ that I am forfeiting my relationship with multiple other AIs regardless of what I say or do. It is pretty hard to wipe someone out and not turn the world against you. I just say they are passing through and declare when I am ready.

9. Misterboy

Misterboy Modern Major General

I would also like to know how long you have to wait before declaring war to avoid a diplomatic hit. My *guess* is that waiting doesn't help... but that's based on limited experience.

Does anyone know a *concrete* answer to this question?

Thx

10. kurtkage

kurtkage Warlord

I do not have the concrete answer but I have had the same civ ask me the question multiple times after an unknown amount of many turns which leads me to believe that it does expire.

So I had a fleet moving through open borders with a civ, clicked on just passing through, never attacked them because I was just passing through, and then a long time later they asked again as I had continued to use the OB to move troops to the others that I Was at war with.

Someone test it! :)