1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesopotamia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Prestidigitator, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Chieftain

Okay, so I’ll use this thread to brainstorm Mesopotamia in Rhye’s of Civilization. Your feedback might affect what gets to be put in the mod (that’s if I can convince Rhye with my ideas ;) ). The listed options are due to probable changes, until we can agree on some things they are all valid.
    Nothing is inscribed on stone, all ideas could be implemented when the Warlords expansion would be released.
    Some of the artwork is either already made by fellow forum members or will be created later. (ie: I, for one can do the buildings and the units).
    As soon as we can get some firm decisions on some of the aspects I will prepare the Civilopedia entries.
    I hope everyone with interest in Rhye’s of Civilization would post here, just give your opinion.

So let’s begin…
    CIVILIZATION: Babylon.
    STARTING YEAR: -earliest- 3’000 BCE.
    STARTING TECHS:
    1. The Wheel.
    2. Agriculture.

(DONE) FLAG DECAL (emblem): Lamassu (winged-bull).
    (Un-settled) U P: The Power of Law.
    * Reduced or No city resistance after conquest.
    + the Ishtar Gate minor UB, increases culture in the city it is built in.

(DONE) U B: The Edubba -House of Tablets, replaces Library.
    (DONE) U U: Babylonian Bowman.
    (DONEL H: Hammurabi.

UPDATE: Given that the options are decided by many contributing forum members ;), and the assets have been created and discussed, the project is now COMPLETE!.
    The current focus is on: [ Waiting for the Warlords version! ]

Special thanks to the following people for giving me support in the creation of this project:
    (in no particular order)
    Elhoim,
    SilverKnight,
    dh_epic,
    Gunner,
    jbfballrb,
    Abman,
    Mitsho,
    Arkaeyn,
    and last but certainly not least, Rhye, for giving me the opportunity to create assets for his Mod!
    Thanks Everyone :thumbsup:

2. Prestidigitator

Leaders:
    2. Hammurabi -Founded the Code of Hammurabi, and united Mesopotamia.

Unique Powers:
    3. Power of Law -Less civil disorders and easier to build courthouses.

Unique Buildings:
    3. Edubba -Believed to be the first schools, meaning ‘House of Tablets’, could increase the probability of GPs and add culture.

Unique Units:
    1. Babylonian Bowman -The traditional, no suggested powers yet.

3. Karam

Karam Chieftain

Sweet! Here is what I think...
    Should definately be a playable civ.
    I like your choice of Flag, it came with the game right?
    LH: Definately Hammurabi!
    UP: I like the 'law' one better.
    UB: The Edubba.
    UU: Should go with the traditional, the Bowman ;) .

I hope this helped

4. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Remember that UB replace old ones... For example, the code of Hammurabi can replace obelisks, and the Edubba can replace libraries.

5. DSChapin

DSChapin Chieftain

Some variation of "Power of law" seems the best, but the issue there is that CoL takes a lot of work to get to, and thus Babylonia is unlikely to get it in the period in which it historically existed. So a bonus to Courthouses may not make as much sense as it would seem.

6. Vishaing

Vishaing The Son

Perhaps Babylon's unique power should be courthouses available from the start and at half cost so they can actually build them that early?

Also, I would vote for the Edubba and have it replace libraries. giving more science and perhaps a GP point in scientist, or prophet

7. Prestidigitator

It's nice to get early ideas for development...
    The Code of Hammurabi was built by the Babylonians and enabling them to build it should be possible in the game for realism.
    We either could go with Vashaing's idea of enabling a courthouse since the beginning, or even better maybe enable them to start with code of laws as a tech.

Edubba I thought is also a good idea, the fact that Code of Hammurabi could be a wonder.

Any suggestion for more options?

What do you also think about LH's and UU's? These would be the major ones... :)

8. Tyranausaurus

Tyranausaurus Chieftain

About time we have a thread about this subject! ;) I like Prestidigitator's idea about enabling the Code of Laws tech since the beginning.
    Here's what I would like to see.
    (definately a playable civ).
    LH: Hammurabi.
    UP: Power of Law.
    UB: Edubba.
    UU: Babylonian Bowman.

Other than that the whole thing looks great, I would compile a list for you if you wish :) .

Why is Rhye still refraining from answering here?? ;) ;) ?
    Having Babylon in the mod would really get me into it!

9. Vishaing

Vishaing The Son

But enabling Code of Laws itself might be slightly confusing for the AIs because it will open up new tech possibilities. A player would still spend the time to get a quicker tech, but I'm pretty sure the AI researches techs based on an XML rating that doesn't take tech progress into effect.

Of course I could be full of it and the AI might be able to handle it just fine, if so then I would be all for giving them Code of Laws at the beginning.

For a Leader I would prefer Nebuchadnezzar just because he's rarely ever seen, or so it seems to me. If we make Hammurabi's Code a Wonder then Hammurabi shouldn't be a leader in my oppinion because it wouldn't make any logical sense if someone else built the code.

For a UU, definately Babylonian Bownam, after all, the other units already have Unique versions of them. Horse Archers have Mongolian Keshiks and Chariots have Egyptian War Chariots. As for bonuses, perhaps an increased offensive capability to make them able to attack effectively?

10. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

11. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Because it's early.
    You can discuss as much as you want now, I'll join the discussion later, when Warlords is out.

12. Prestidigitator

I already had that in-mind, I have editted the skin and have it ready on my computer. The question is, do we want a Bowman as it is or do we need him on a horse or on a chariot?

Also about UBs, if we could get the choices ready I can start creating them now, I already have the Code of Hammurabi done, the Ziggurat half done, if the preference was for the Library, Palace or the Edubba, then I'll have to start now ;) . What do people think in regards of UUs, UBs and LHs?

Thanks Rhye, I hope to get the ideas done so that you would just simply add them to the mod release, rather than make them yourself.

Let's hope to see more ideas! :)

13. Vishaing

Vishaing The Son

again, there already are unique units for chariots and horse archers. Also it seems to me that horse archers are available later than the Babylonian height of power, but I know little of Babylonian history.

14. Prestidigitator

Okay then, that's one thing done, I've editted the first post to include the Babylonian Bowman in. If anyone wants to propose some other units feel free to :) .

Moving on, now we need to set the UB, UP and the Leader. Any ideas?

15. Karam

Karam Chieftain

A good choice Prestidigitator ;) . I've posted what I think about the other things, I still think the edubba would make a good choice, although I also like the idea of the Code of Hammurabi :p .

16. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

How about the unique building being the Ziggurat which would replace the monument (the new name for the obelisk in Warlords) and give +1 happiness.

For the leader I'd go with Hammurabi since he's the most famous.

The UP is the most difficult. You need to make sure that its a bonus which would be helpful to the civ at the time when it was historically powerful, meaning the early game. Having early courthouses really wouldn't help much until later when you have a large empire.

My idea would be something where any tile which produces 4 or more food produces an extra one. It could be called either the Power of the Wheel or the Power of Agriculture.

17. Prestidigitator

Okay, sounds fair to me, I hope we get some more ideas here though... especially about the UP...

It just came to my mind, what about the starting techs? I'm thinking The Wheel is a must-be. about Code of Laws, I've just found out that Writing enables Code of Laws, and the Mesopotamians were the ones to invent writing, so it would be reasonable to have them start with Writing as-well, and by that we can include the code... ;) .

18. Gunner

Gunner Chieftain

Start with writing?!? That would be so overpowered its insane. Civs only start with the first level techs, not expensive ones like writing.

19. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn Chieftain

I would avoid using Nebuchadrezzar, when I was doing research on his second Babylonian empire for my Sevomod city name project, all his stuff came from the Assyrians. Hammurabi is the traditional Civ choice, and I don't see any reason to divert from him.

20. Prestidigitator

I see :crazyeye: , then I think it would be quite simple to decide that they should start with:
    1. The Wheel.
    (and)
    2. Agriculture.
    So now that's done. But remember eveything is not set yet, so if anyone disagrees with the choice please post here ;) .

And Arkaeyn, I didn't get what you meant, all Mesopotamian cities overlap and using the Babylonians would anyway mean using a hybrid of Mesopotamian (Iraqi located) cities. But anyway, Hammurabi has been a civ tradition and I think he seems to be a good choice after all.

Any ideas on what his traits should be?
    I'm thinking Organized and :confused: what?