1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mesopotamia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Prestidigitator, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

if you said that Assyrian is wrong, go with Composite...

here's the dark blue.
    imagine it with American white stars too

Attached Files:

2. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

That colour looks PERFECT! It fits them so well :goodjob:, I think I'll go with it. Rhye can you please give me the colour vals? and what do you want the name of the colour to be?

About the name, while I said that, I think that Asharittu would give more flavour, then again Mesopotamian cultures overlaped each other, they were ultimately of the same descent, so it would suite the Babylonians to have the name after all...

Tell me your final decision about the name, and what you think about the UP... I think that less anarchy, or less city revolts would do them good.

3. Crayton

Crayton King

What religion is that in the Babylonian city, Rhye? Or is that a religion icon?

4. UglyBoy

UglyBoy Pseudo Impossible

Good spot! He's been rumbled and now has to tell us his plans for religion.;)

5. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

no plans, that screenshot is from Greek World :p

As for the name, choose yourself the most appropriate one. Just don't choose "Babylonian".

About the UP...less city revolts means + happiness, right? In this case, this could easily be the effect of the Ishtar Gate.

And about the colour... I can't tell yet which one of the two I will choose. It depends on the other combinations.
    If you want to know the name...I'll call it dark blue, rename dark blue to blue and rename blue to light blue.

6. Barak

Barak Emperor

Perhaps call it navy blue?

7. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

You know what, thinking of it again, why does it have to have a pre-adjective to it? in the game it is'nt 'Egyptian War Chariot', it is just called 'War Chariot', so it can just be a 'Bowman', no need for the Babylonian adjective. Do you agree with that?

As for the UP, that's right, but you can make the Ishtar Gate a second minor unique building that appears around 600 BCE, that adds more culture to the city, and enhances the UP.
    So for the UP:
    Less revolts= more happiness in cities.
    +
    Ishtar Gate generates more culture to the city it is built in, but appears ONLY around 600-500 BCE.

8. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I don't see the year a real problem, as wonders are being built in wrong years anyway.

Isn't just "Bowman" the same as "Archer"? What's the difference between the two terms? I will have trouble translating to italian where there's only "Arciere"

9. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

Right, so for the UP, let's make Ishtar Gate a buildable thing, making it an option for Babylon ONLY, it would add +1 or +2 Culture, can you set that?

so the UP:
    Code:
    Reduced Anarchy= More Happiness in cities.
    +
    Ishtar Gate optional wonder, generates (either 1 or 2 you choose that Rhye) culture.
    I hope you tell me what you think about it, I will do the building XML, but you will code the UP ;).

As for the Bowman, I know, it is just a synonym for Archer, it is just a different form of bow (I think), if you're not okay with keeping Bowman, I will set a new name with an adjective.

10. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

Okay, but I would reduce the UP to just the building, and I'd place it at the beginning so that we avoid the movie problem.

And use an adjective, such as Asharittu or Assyrian (more incorrect but more widely recognizable)

11. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

Why though? it doesn't have to be a wonder, just a national wonder... or do you think it'd be too powerful? the reason I wanted a building date was because it would be close to the Persian war with Babylon, so that the capital can gain as much culture as it could from the Ishtar Gate....
    If the only issue for you is the wonder movie, then I don't think it is a problem, we can get around that by not making it a wonder.

But if your issue is with balance, that's another story, but I don't think it would make them too powerful, anyway, it would just boost the capital before the fall of the empire...

You see, I proposed the UP so that the conquest city happiness would help them in the early stage (conquering nearby barbarian cities), and the Ishtar Gate would help them gain culture near the end. It wouldn't be biased compared to the other UPs (take the Arabian).
    I will wait for your final word, if you agree for what I said, or if you disagree. I personally have no problem creating city-bar icons for the Ishtar gate :).

12. Tyranausaurus

Tyranausaurus Warlord

Kudos to this idea Prestidigitator! I really like it!

13. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

Thanks Tyranausaurus,
    Rhye what do you think of the idea I posted in post #231?

14. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

I don't know until I try to program it and see what works best

15. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

Yeah, I guess that's a right think to do...
    for the time being, I'm changing the shape of the Ishtar Gate, I didn't like the original one, it didn't look quite like the original Gate, you will see from the screenshot that I added some Babylonian architecture spikes at the top, it's not finished yet, I will do some more in the middle section, then I'll have to texture it (using the original texture ofcourse).
    I hope you'll like it better than the original ;).
    ish.gif

16. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

Rhye, now that I've finished most of the XML, I stumbled upon translating... Is it okay with you if I use a program to translate it to (German, Italian, French and Spanish)?
    The other alternative is to leave it blank and have some player translate it (if we have a Spanish player who really wants to).

Programs do not translate text exactly, but it can be fixed later, so what do you think?

17. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

leave it as english. Don't use translators

18. Prestidigitator

Prestidigitator Prince

I can now announce ;), that the graphic and XML assets for the Mesopotamia project are complete :).
    Rhye, if at anytime you feel you are ready to start creating the Warlords version of the Mod, please PM me so that I can send you the files.

I just have one query, the unit sounds will be the Arabian one (they're the same anyway). As for the diplomacy music, I'm not sure, I'm afraid it might be illegal to add some, so if there is no alternative we will have to do with the Arab diplomacy music.
    Fair and square? ;)

Check the first post for credits ;).

19. Tyranausaurus

Tyranausaurus Warlord

Great Work Prestidigitator! it seems that you really made it through your persistant work and graphic skills :goodjob:!

Rhye, will the Warlords version come after the first patch for Warlords? and if so when will the patch be released? or when should we expect the Warlords version?

20. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

yes, after tha 1st patch, and after 2 or 3 more versions of the vanilla mod.

As for the music, have you considered using some themes from civ3?