Messiah no more - baby gets a new name

I'd rather see more La-shas and Shaniquas than boring crap like Ian and David...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23626986

Why didn't they change this guy's name?

There were 762 American baby boys named Messiah last year, and that figure is growing. The Social Security Administration ranks it the fourth fastest-growing name for baby boys - it leapt from 633rd in 2011 to 387th in 2012. And it's not just a boy's name or a first name.

Or all these lot?

^The Messiah is not just a boy's name? o_O

Maybe if you are stoned. (obscure allusion)

I can picture the schoolchildren. What rhymes with Janus...

Indeed :/ I was thinking of the Greek version of the name, which is Ianos :) (the etruscan/roman two-faced god of war, change and barriers)

Since expletives are used quite often around young kids, it is a wonder they even know their given name at birth by the time they enter grade school.

I remember a story of an orthodox Jewish child who was named, Shalom, one of the names of God. If a Jew can name his son one of the names of God, then a Christian should allow someone to be named after the mere title of the Son of God.

I saw this story on the local news today. First of all, it's not exactly "big government takeover" because the parents filed a case to have the judge determine the name. She only had the power to change it because the parents gave her the power.

Second, they showed an interview with the judge and the reporter asked her how she felt about children named Jesus (pronounced "Hay-Zeus"). I swear you can hear her throw up in the back of her mouth before saying "that's not relevant". It was so funny, but we're also lucky she's not a judge in Arizona.
The parents were arguing about the child's last name, not his first name. The judge decided on her own to change his given name, because the parents' choice offended her religious convictions.

I have a big problem with a judge that decides cases based on the authority of a religious text. Last I checked, the United States aren't a theocracy.

I'd pronounce it as La ah, presuming the dash is to indicate that it's two syllables.

I don't think naming your child is a good time for this kind of cleverness.

It's actually pronounced Ladasha, they just used an actual - mark instead of spelling it out.

Since expletives are used quite often around young kids, it is a wonder they even know their given name at birth by the time they enter grade school.

My wife used to teach first grade in a rotten school district. She did, in fact, have a student who didn't know his name when he got to first grade. He had an identical twin, so non-family members tended to call him things like sweetie and honey, since they didn't know who was who.

Top Bottom