1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Messiah no more - baby gets a new name

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton One. And many.

Fully agreed.
    That said, I think any one should be free to change his first name when turning 18 free of charge. Most people wouldn't do so, but if someone wants to, I don't see why any decision of his or her parents should matter.

2. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Here there is the "name-day" thing (afaik in all orthodox countries), which at any rate largely urges one to choose a name which is already associated with a specific name-day celebration (a bit like one's birthday, although far less formal/important). Name-days are most of the time the days specific saints are related to, but they incorporate also pre-christian names which are also very usual (eg Aphrodite, Aristotle, Alexander, Pericles and so on).

I am pretty sure one would face a lot of problems if he/she tried to name the child as some inanimate object, or some other in a negative way peculiar term. There doesn't appear to be the incentive to do so anyway.