Metal from the 00s

xathraz is a trv metalist that has superior tastes. And by superior i mean that they are so utter shiite and devoid of meaningfull lyrics or techinque that very few people listen to them. And if very few people listen to a band it means its very good and you being a fan makes you better than everyone else.

This is very usefull when you are trying to be cool in a group of 13 year old emos and a very good way to hide that you are a complete failure.

Eluveitie-Omnos sung in Gaelic. Not as heavy as Inis Mona as posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msRy4vcSX4k
I believe it's reconstructed Gaulish, actually; most of their Celtic-language stuff is. "Inis Mona", for example, is the reconstructed Gaulish cognate to the Welsh "Ynys Mon".

xathraz is a trv metalist that has superior tastes. And by superior i mean that they are so utter shiite and devoid of meaningfull lyrics or techinque that very few people listen to them. And if very few people listen to a band it means its very good and you being a fan makes you better than everyone else.
That's rather unfair. All the bands s/he (?) reference are perfectly legitimate musicians in their own right; it is the arbitrary standards which s/he inflicts upon those bands- and others- that are in question. Simply because a fan has a poor attitude does not necessarily reflect badly on the band itself.

That happened in the early 90s. Welcome to 2010

And I haven't liked metal since, like I said. When I want to listen to metal I'll listen to my 80s Metallica, my early 90s Pantera, my Iron Maiden, my Exodus, Megadeth, Slayer etc.

I just cannot get into metal from the mid 90s to today, because it's either black/death metal which I hate, or some weird subgenre that doesn't appeal to me, like Dragonforce (wtf with them?). One notable exception is White Zombie, who I do like.

Spoiler :

Fairest of the Fair
A march by John Phillips Sousa in 1908 (the 00s!)
Just listen to all that metal crashing together, and those horns (made of metal!)

Link to video.

You have to hear her live to believe it. I also didn't think she was so bad at first, as I think her voice can indeed work for certain parts, but after what I've seen live.... God that was terrible. Imagine hearing her singing Wishmaster, every note at least a little wrong, with a thiiiiiin little shaky voice, insecure shriek-like sounds everywhere, with everybody else in the band acting appropriately while she was bouncing around the stage clapping her hands above her head, screaming "oh yeah" and acting like a teen girl at her first concert, with a crush on some dude playing in there. That's exactly how it felt like! I would have honestly left if I hadn't been with friends. At least I didn't pay anything (it was outside, in a big square, and you could easily see and hear everything from outside the secluded perimeter).

I've never heard her singing live, but judging from the few Youtube videos I've seen, she's really terrible at live performances. She doesn't sound that bad otherwise (I mean on studio recordings :D ) - it's not her fault she has a totally different voice and training than her predecessor - so it boils down to whether you like the new style or not. Personally, I loved Tarja's operatic voice so Anette is a disappointment. One can only guess why they picked her and not someone vocally closer to Tarja; maybe they wanted to try something different.

The trouble is that the fans expect to hear the older songs as well, and when you don't have a singer who can actually sing them, it's a problem ;)

Also, Tarja was certainly not over the top for me, my guess is that the people who say that actually want a pop-ish band with some orchestra behind it rather than the original Nightwish. Something easier to listen to, like Within Temptation (which BTW, is unbearably pop-ish for me). And don't say that I have this opinion simply because I've heard Tarja first - I discovered Nightwish in a plane, flying to the US, and the only album I listened to within one month of hearing about them is Dark Passion Play, which was already with Anette. I found out about the old Nightwish long after that.

Hah, I've first listened to Nightwish when I was travelling by car with my friends to a village near Brno. I asked what band was it and they all looked at me like I was a total idiot :lol:

Simply the greatest band and song names, even if you aren't a fan of the music.

I just cannot get into metal from the mid 90s to today, because it's either black/death metal which I hate, or some weird subgenre that doesn't appeal to me, like Dragonforce (wtf with them?). One notable exception is White Zombie, who I do like.
Then, frankly, you really haven't been paying attention. There's loads of other styles about; indeed, groove and metalcore are far more prominent! Not to mention the abundance of melodeath, industrial, progressive, sludge, southern and plain old "heavy" kicking about, not to mention that emerging "thrash revival" thing that we hear so much about. Death and black, for all the attention they get, are not so dominant as they may like to appear

Examples of the above:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Top Bottom