Metal from the 00s

I was trying to keep in line with the whole "2000s" thing. Probably unnecessary, really, espeically given that the thread has more or less naturally evolved into "90s/2000s Metal", but I've already mouthed off about it, so it'd be kinda hypocritical to dump it that quickly.

(And, come to think of it, the Eyehategod thing might be a cheat. The album is from the 2000s, but it's a compilation of rarities and b-sides. Whoops.)

other good 90s/00s bands:
- Alter Bridge
- Avenged Sevenfold
- Bullet for my Valentine
- Amon Amarth
- Disturbed
- Dream Theatre
- Opeth
- Lamb of God
- Trivium
- At the Gates
- Dark Tranquility

Then, frankly, you really haven't been paying attention. There's loads of other styles about; indeed, groove and metalcore are far more prominent! Not to mention the abundance of melodeath, industrial, progressive, sludge, southern and plain old "heavy" kicking about, not to mention that emerging "thrash revival" thing that we hear so much about. Death and black, for all the attention they get, are not so dominant as they may like to appear

Examples of the above:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

I don't pay much attention because music just isn't that important to me, and what I do hear I usually do not like. My musical tastes are stuck in the 80s and early 90s...nearly my entire playlist of hours upon hours worth of songs is almost exclusively 80s music, with a little 70s and 90s thrown in. It's no coincidence that I love GTA Vice City over all other GTA games.

Out of those examples you gave me, I only really like Early Man, with those soaring vocals and classic sound. Machine Head sounds too modern and doesn't appeal to me at all, and I hate EYEHATEGOD for the name alone.

But I'm gonna have to check out Early Man some more. They have a good sound. Their lead singer doesn't compare to the great metal singers of old like Dio or Halford or Dickinson, but it's still refreshing to hear that instead of that gutteral groaning nonsense, or melodic singing which I don't like in my metal.

I'm a very picky person :)

I hate EYEHATEGOD for the name alone.
A lot of people have that reaction at first, but it's worth noting that, being a NOLA sludge band, it's really best to take it with a pinch of salt. That's a scene which has always lacked the earnest pretensions of extreme metal, traditionally aligning itself with the hardcore punk and stoner rock scenes that partially spawned it.

But I'm gonna have to check out Early Man some more. They have a good sound. Their lead singer doesn't compare to the great metal singers of old like Dio or Halford or Dickinson, but it's still refreshing to hear that instead of that gutteral groaning nonsense, or melodic singing which I don't like in my metal.
Non-ironic classic metal revivalism; an under-used style indeed. ;)

1349 is quite interesting. Named after the infamous black death or something in Norway.

Link to video.

I do like the drummer (Frost). He's on speed or something - which I don't mind.;)

Link to video.

I discovered the band by watching a documentary from a website VBS.tv.com. First I was on the website to see a documentary about a dude who has traveled in North Korea, and then later saw this band.

Here is a interview. Nice jam session, it get better at around 3:24 in the clip
Link to video.

My heavy metal tastes remain firmly with the likes of Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, early Metallica, Def Leppard, Pantera, etc. Which doesn't quite qualify as post-2000. Basically, take the GTA vice city rock station, and I'll play it over and over.

I do not see the point of arguing about just what does and does not constitute heavy metal, or which of 27 different heavy metal pigeonholes a band should go in. I see it with punk stuff as well, and all it usually indicates is the person waffling on about it is a pretentious :):):):):):).

So I'll just post clips of some of the heavier stuff I can see in my cd collection at the moment.

Hmmm, can't seem to find much after the mid 90s, apart from stuff like Tool or System of a Down that's posted already.

Old aussie left wing band, they went off live:

Link to video.

Link to video.

This one I discovered while playing Saint's Row, went and bought the album purely because of that. Not really metal though:

Link to video.

This one was recorded in 2009, so it sort of counts. :lol:

Link to video.

I'll have to search a bit harder for other stuff.

Top Bottom