1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

metatron vs Lemon Merchant

Discussion in 'Infraction Review' started by ori, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

metatron appeals the below cited warning by Lemon Merchant:

2. ori

And here is Lemon Merchant's take on this:

3. Rob (R8XFT)

Rob (R8XFT) Ancient Briton Super Moderator

I uphold the decision to infract. The post seems to have no more purpose than to insult Canadians.

4. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Seems to me he posted this in response to this: "I have recently been openly mocked for my usage and command of the English language. I pleaded with the OT mods. Nothing happened.
    That was not an unusual occurance."

Not sure I believe what he claims, that this post did not cause issues for Canadians, obviously it did. And if it was some sort of justice for his perception of the above statement, then that motivation is not acceptable.
    In addition, think he is incorrect concerning the bullet points about trolling in the rules. This point applies:
    --Generally being rude. Being overly critical, or expressing your opinions in a rude manner.

In general, this user seems to be playing rules lawyer and do not agree with his assessment of the consequences of any decision we might make. Isn't this also the user that threatens staff in his reporting of posts? Telling us that if we do not infract someone he feels "deserves it", he will post something blatantly against the rules and dares us to infract him? This post appears to me to be consistent with this behavior.

Vote to uphold the infraction.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

I concur - uphold.

6. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I would overturn this, because I'm struggling to see what is objectionable about the post, particularly considering it is a non-RD thread, where posters are expected to cope with a bit of ribbing (though I'm not even sure that this would meet the 'provoke a negative reaction from a notional reasonable user' threshold in an RD thread).

'Nation bashing' has always been considered trolling, but that category doesn't capture any and all criticism. It only really applies to purposeless slanging. A reasoned post setting out why national symbols are problematic does not, I don't think, fall within that category, even before we take the non-RD context into account.

I don't think it's fruitful to find trolling in something simply because we suspect he was looking for payback over perceived slights. That intention on its own is not enough; it needs to be coupled with a pkst which can 'objectively' be considered trollish.

7. ori

I see a user pattern of trying to troll for adverse reaction by Canadian users on this forum through mostly petty comments disparaging Canada and "you people" directed at Canadians as such even if I was willing to accept as "reasoned" and okish such a thread by another user I would still believe that based on pattern alone it was aimed directly at trolling for adverse reaction and not a thread intended for anything close to good faith discussion so I am unilling to accept this as being anything but a troll thread. Next up would then be do we allow such threads as non-RD. Now this ties in with the rather shaky definition we have regarding non-RD distinction and is something that I guess needs fleshing out again. But that is not a discussion for here. Though downthread metatron basically admits it was manned as Canada bahing and I have no qualms with interpretation of the OP alone as such. Personally I think good faith discussion on any single point made should be acceptable but that does not been that non-good faith posting of basically all about "Canada's national symbolism sucks" is also allowed. I vote to uphold.

8. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Metatron makes fairly clear that he's intending to troll Canadians. In post #10, he effectively agrees to Hehehe's comment that the thread exists for bashing Canada.

Granted the nation-bashing is fairly mild. If he did not have a pattern of making posts like this one, had not admitted to nation-bashing, and was merely intending to make light-hearted fun of the country, it would probably be permissible at least in a non-RD thread. As it is, while I'm a little sympathetic to Cami's reasoning, I can't quite avoid seeing this as a mild troll thread.

I vote to uphold.

9. ori

I read 5:1 to uphold and will inform metatron and Lemon Merchant of this. I'll also publish the thread.

Moderator Action: published without edits

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.