Methods of Spicing DG5 up

Falcon02

General
Okay we need a concise list of ways we can try to spice DG5 up (that way we can try to have a poll) this is what I've seen proposed so far....

- Always War (always at war once we meet a Civ, ie. DG1 Domino War for entire game with an earlier start of course)

- Noble (Never declare war unless war is declared on us, and no manipulating the AI to attack us)

- DyP Mod (The "Double your Pleasure" Mod, more stuff but large Download)

- GOTM Mod

- 5CC (5 City Challenge, limit on governors, but more challenging and Tactical)

- Change in Government/Constitutional structure (ie. Apolyton Hive example)

- Rik's Luxuries Mod (described in Post #20 of this thread, pending further testing)

- Passive (Never attack an enemy city, if one of ours is lost, it is lost for good, except via culture flips, propoganda. Attacking units in the Open allowed)

- Oscillating War (Must be at war with at least one neighbor at all times, Pseudo-wars where units aren't seen do not count, Peace may be declared with a warring neighbor only if war is immediately declared with another neighbor)

- Some Sort of Custom Map (have an impartial person create a map for us, and control things like resource and/or luxary distrobution, or general land layout, if this wins there will be an offshoot poll for what specifically)

There have been several "alter the Rules this way" proposals however they seem to be very general, and rather plentiful, we need to reduce it to specific proposals that people can gather around.

Well, personaly as a 56k user. I am strongly against using the DYP mod due to its humugous download size and time. My view would change however if I had eather a Cable or a DSL connection but I dont forsee that in the near future;).

I say we go for pacifism, or, at the very least, having a very long, hard procedure for declarations of war. I also say we do more RPing, perhaps with a whole IC forum or something. And I agree on the DYP thing, even though I have cable.

i have a cool idea: no luxuries!!!
that would make it hard and require happiness buildings

I personaly would rather play the DG with regular default rules. No Varants.

thought 5CC was turned down earlier but I can add it to the list just in case (updating the first post)

I remembered that both OCC and 5CC were and are still turned down.

One thing we want to remember is that we don't want to mod this game beyond recognition to newcomers. A new citizen should be able to drop in and pick up the game immediately, so I recommend keeping as many defaults as possible.

That said, I believe we should just be tweaking the way we approach the game, and what better way than to deny ourselves the easy conquests? And since we handily won a Conquest victory with the Industrious/Commercial French :hmm:, let's try for a peaceful victory with the Militaristic Japanese. :D

And regarding the pacifism route, we should be allowed to slighty manipulate the AI by asking them off our land but that's about it.

We could always try embargoing them. Classic means of putting non-military pressure on them.

Asking 'em off our lands is by no means manipulation in my mind... it's establishing your own soverignty and defending against suprise attacks. You have a right to request that they return to their lands and to stop stealing food and lodging from the Peasants working the land.

Frankly, rather than, or in addition to, some sort of game variant (big mods like DyP won't work), we'd better have a new style of government. The whole President, etc, thing gets boring after a while. Innovation is nice - for example, look at this constitution from the so-called SMAC 'Police State Game' for inspiration, and what I'm talking about.

Oct: I am open-minded to all proposals. The "change the government" proposal is (in my POV) difficult. There still needs to be 1 person playing the save, there still needs to be discussions and polls about a lot of in-game things. There will still need to be offices and citizens taking positions.
Whether the DP is called President or Comrade or King or Fuehrer that doesn't matter.
If there is a Military Leader or General or "Giant Angel" that doesn't matter. Etc.

What gains do you see in changing the style of Government ?

I added it anyway, I honestly doubt it will work either, but several people have shown support, so if the people want it, they shall get it.

Anyway the first post shows all that we've come up with so far, if there's no further proposals I may post a poll on this soon. It will be multiple choice, in case people want things like DyP, 5CC, AND the government changes.

I say we go with the 5 city idea, and replace governors with mayors, which actually control the queues of their city. It would also be much more challenging without having to go to one of the absurd levels where the AI cheats take the fun out of the game...

Falcon: I've playtested with a modding and several others have tested it too (I got no feedback yet). I created a new Middel Ages tech called "Luxuries" which shows all luxuries. That means you have no luxuries all through the Ancient Age. Also: the Civ you want to trade luxes with needs to have the tech as well.

Also: I made luxes deplete and reappear like Iron does. Works well, I believe.
If anyone wants to test the mod, PM me your emailaddress.

Other proposals for modding (not yet tested by me):
- Can only form an army if you have 10 cities.
- Barb units: spear and knight.
- Remove cats, cannons, arties and bombers.
- Taxmen and scientists having the increased values.

etc. Care to added that to the first post ?

Top Bottom