Metternichs Revival: Austrian Hearts of Iron II AAR

Nuka-sama

See ya! It has been a fun decade!
Proud. Powerful. Independent. Resource rich. All of these can describe countries, as long as they are not speaking of Austria. However, Prince Metternich has come back to guide Austria back to Empire

So we go

Head of State-Emperor Franz V
Head of Government-Prince Metternich
Head of Army-PrinceScamp
Head of Navy-
Head of Air Force-
Head of Intelligence-
Foreign Minister-Neverwonagame3
Chief of Staff-MajorGeneral2

So the Empire Begins

Upon a few hours of his taking over the government, Metternich ordered the invasion of Hungary.

The Austrian Army invades Hungary

Franz V: Why on Earth did you do this?

Metternich: It's obvious isn't it? Our army and industry are rather pathetic. If Austria wishes to once again be a World Power, we must reclaim our old lands.

Early victories for Austria

The Front Stabilizes

Franz V: It seems the Hungarians are preparing for a counter attack. We can't fall back.

Metternich: Hmm. This is not good. Austria lacks the power to deal with a third rate power such as Hungary. We need an ally that can help us re-establish the empire

The Austro-German Alliance

Franz V: What! I DO NOT want to be drawn into a war with Germany against the world again!

Metternich: Right now, he's the only one who can help us with our goals for the world. Mr Hitler? Do you think you could take Budapest for mighty Austria?

Hitler: I don't see why not.

Franz V: Fools!

Austro-German forces enter Budapest

Franz V: Hmm, I stand corrected

Austria is currently accepting applications for her Council of Doom

This could be an amusing 1938 coming up.

It seems no one is interested in joining the Council of Doom. Let's invade Czechoslovakia and see what that does :)

Thanks for the advice Princescamp and for joining :)

This is Swiss Radio live from Geneva, bringing you the most unbiased news around, fair and balanced.

This year has seen heavy changes in the world, from civil war in Spain, German re-armament, and the sudden unexplained growth of a new Austrian Empire. Let's take a look shall we?

After the sudden annexation of Hungary by Austria, a new Austro-Hungarian Empire was declared, as well as a declaration of war against Czechoslovakia

The invasion of Czechoslovakia

Soon, with combined Austrian and German arms under command of Prince Scamp, Czechoslovakia surrendered, and was incorporated into the Austrian Empire

The New Austrian Empire expands

After this, the Spanish Fascists and Communists began their civil war.

Red is Fascist plan of attack, blue is farthest Fascist advance

Yet the world was distracted with a declaration of war by Yugoslavia to Austria. Though they had the initial upper hand, eventually the Austrians were victorious due to the prowess of the Austrian military and the command of Prince Scamp

Metternich smiled. Once the borders of old Austria were established, phase II can begin

Ehem. You have made a possibly fatal mistake you must correct immediately, and one I cannot beleive people keep making.

MY NAME IS NOT TWO WORDS. IT IS ALL ONE WORD.

PrinceScamp!

Considering the number of people who don't know the difference between "lose" and "loose", you shouldn't be surprised. Annoyed certainly, but not surprised.

Ok Council. We have a couple of options for 1937

a) Build up-Currently our army is at about 15 Divisions total. We have a small air force and no navy to speak of. It may be wise to use this year to build up and possibly lower belligerence

b) Continue our invasions-Italy has one of our cores, and Romania is blocking some prime Black Sea coast areas, also we have Greece to the south. It could be easy to defeat them and take IC and manpower

c) Other-What do you think Austria's empire should do?

Still a bit of a beginner at HoI2, but what the heck - I'll take Chief of Staff, if you don't mind.

Could you show us where we are on Research, and what sort of divisions we have?

a) Build up-Currently our army is at about 15 Divisions total. We have a small air force and no navy to speak of. It may be wise to use this year to build up and possibly lower belligerence
I recommend this option. I'm guessing our military, besides being on the smaller side, is also probably outdated. Take some time to build up our Air Force and infantry. A navy, obviously, isn't going to be an issue for us, so don't bother with any of that nonsense.

As for our next target, Romania looks like it's overtaken Bulgaria in that last post. If that's so, well, we can't have such an aggressive neighbour, can we?

BTW, don't forget Austria used to own parts of Poland. We can probably wait for Germany to act first on that one, though.

tl;dr: Build up army/air force this year, then go after Romania.

Reserving this for A sec

Part IV: The Second Congress of Vienna

Metternich: I'd like to take the time to thank all of you for coming here. As many of you know Europe has changed greatly in the past two years, with the emergence of a new empire and alliance of Mittleeuropa between Austria and Germany. Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Albania and Yugoslavia no longer exist. We must accept this and move forward. But we must preserve peace for tomorrow.

For starters, we must accept that the Vienna-Berlin Axis and the British-French Alliance are not enemies. We must band together to destroy Unholy Russia, now called the Soviet Union. I turn your attention to Spain, a mere pawn of the Soviet Empire now. Italy, Austria-Hungary, and Germany have signed the Anti Comintern Pact. We would like to ask that the other nations of Europe agree to this pact as well. Also, we would like recognition by the Allies of the validity of the Vienna-Berlin Axis against Communism

Chamberlain: I believe that the Anti Comintern Pact and the Axis are both unnecessary. Metternich, we have been tolerant of you so far and your incursions, however we will not tolerate them any longer. In fact, the power block of Mittleeuropa should be destroyed.

Moscicky: I agree. Poland stopped the Red Army some ten years ago and we will do it again if it comes to it.

Hitler: No. The Soviets were weak then. Now, Poland could be beaten within three weeks.

Moscicky: The Nerve!

Lebrun: I believe that peace must be preserved, yet the Axis is dangerous.

Mussolini: There must be a better answer than what is currently here. I suggest that the French-German border stays the same, as well that the Austrian empire remains at her current borders. Danzig will be given to Germany.

Chamberlain: Excellent proposal.

Metternich: Then the French-German border will be guaranteed. Austria, Italy, and Britain will intervene against the party who violates this:

Chamberlain: Agreed

Mussolini: Agreed.

Metternich: Also I suggest that Finland, Poland and the Baltic be given guarantees of independence against Soviet aggression.

Hitler: My friend Metternich, I must agree with this.

Metternich: The balance of Europe will be broken I am sure. The Soviets will find us easy prey.

Chamberlain: So be it. I believe this pact will only lead to the destruction of the peace we have worked to achieve after the Great War.

Proposing to become Foriegn Minister.

Part V : The Empire's Established

Following the year of 1937's build up, 1938 saw the beginning of war between Austria-Hungary and Romania

War Breaks out

Early Victories

During the war as well, the Austrian navy experienced her re-birth

Battleships for the Reich

Eventually Romania was on her last legs and was forced to surrender

The Empire has been reborn

Metternich’s options

1) Keep with the Axis, gain Greece, Turkey, Iraq, Syria, Egypt, parts of Poland and Ukraine. Bad news, We might lose the war, not free of Germany
2) Join Allies, gain Southern Germany and German tech teams, bad news, we can’t take on the Western powers, much less the Soviet Union
3) Join Germany and create a super reich
4) Alliance with Italy to conquer Spain and the New World
5) Other: Please feel free to share an option with Metternich :)

Stay with the Axis.Together you might well tame the Bear.

Top Bottom