Mexico City Considers Temporary Marriages

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mangxema, Sep 30, 2011.

1. mangxema

mangxema I

An interesting proposal:

I admit I'd never thought of this before. What do you guys think? Good policy or bad policy?

(Note: This is regarding civil marriages not religious ones.)

2. bhsup

bhsup Deity

It's terrible. It's basically going into what is supposed to be a lifelong commitment with an 'out' built-in.

3. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Here continues the degrading of the family structure.

4. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

How is this different from a divorce, other than not keeping people who dislike one another together?

5. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I don't see anything wrong with it. My parents did a 'trial run' before marriage to see if they could stand each other, and they have been happily married for over 20 years. My uncle did the 'traditional' version and divorced his wife in under 10 years.

As long as they have a way to handle the "I'm not legally the daddy of that baby" problem, good for mexico.

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

7. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Well, as I don't personally think "no fault" divorce should be legal...

8. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I am all for making it easier to divorce. Someone should have thought of this long ago.

They should also offer temporary divorces.

9. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

I don't think this is a very good idea. Not because of the whole "degrading family" whatever. But because I don't think 2 years is long enough to figure out if you really just can't stand living with the person. I know of plenty of marriages of my parent's friends which ended because of friction the exploded 5-15 years into their marriage but were due to personality flaws that was already inherent in them that they never really got to address earlier on.

Think Nora and Torvald's 8 year marriage in Doll's House.

I also don't think that you should continually renew the marriage every two years or extend the temporary marriage to a longer period because then it doesn't really seem either very temporary or a marriage any longer.

10. mangxema

mangxema I

Not necessarily. The length is negotiable. You can still go lifelong if you want.

I think you assume too much. I could see this as something that could be used during the engagement period. It could be a way to get your partner on benefits before a more traditional wedding. Plus I don't see this as any worse than the alternatives this is supposed to replace, outright bastard children or a messy divorce.

I wouldn't think that would be a problem. At least in the US IIRC it doesn't matter if you're married or not, if it was your sperm, it's your baby and your responsibility, unless the kid was officially adopted or the mother used donor sperm.

11. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

It's nothing new, if only we look back further than the modern age in the western countries. And it certainly seems like a good idea. Those who want to upgrade to the supposed (is there any country left which denies divorce?) lifelong commitment would still be free to do it.

And about divorce: is the lesser evil: what good do you expect to come out of forcing people who dislike, or even hate, each other to keep living together?

12. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Brilliance... sheer brilliance.

:confused:

13. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

They should just switch over to Brehon Law full force if they're going to do this.

14. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

Doll's House was a play written by Henrik Ibsen and it deals with the themes of sexism and equal rights for men and women set in the late 19th century.

The ending of the story is that Nora, who for 8 years of her marriage, believed herself to be living a happy life, leaves her husband after the realisation that because of the way she and her husband's thinks (in context of equal rights).
    In the end, Nora felt that she was never really happy for the 8 years she spent with Torvald, that she was only at best, merry.

15. Snorrius

Snorrius Le libre-penseur

Nice proposal. It actually might make a marriage more desirable for modern adults.

16. Silurian

Silurian Deity

Malta, the last country in the EU to forbid divorce, is to allow it from this month.

17. Leoreth

Leoreth Vampire of the Blue Moon Moderator

Then you know absolutely nothing about the legal process.

18. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

So... dating with some extra legal benefits?

19. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Yes, how true.

I'd theoretically be OK with allowing it, but not when kids could definitely be born out of that union:crazyeye:

20. nonconformist

nonconformist Miserable

I too wish to tell people how to live their lives, where do I sign up?