1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MGE: Can't see save files

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by randyripoff, Apr 24, 2019.

1. randyripoff

randyripoff Chieftain

So I have Civ2 MGE working on Windows 8.1. However, I can't see the save files anywhere. I can see them from within the game, but not in Windows Explorer or via the command line. Any tho[ughts as to why? Saving and loading works just fine, but I'd like to be able to delete the old saves.

2. Knighttime

Knighttime Chieftain

Did you by chance install the program inside C:\Program Files\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\ ? If so, my guess is that you're having issues with something called UAC Virtualization, which is invisibly redirecting data files from your program to someplace like C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\appname\. If the game is working normally, it's probably not critical to reinstall, but the best solution is not to install any version of Civ 2 into those "Windows-controlled" directories. For example, I created C:\Games\ and installed it beneath that (C:\Games\Civ2MGE). You can probably google "UAC Virtualization" or "VirtualStore" for more info.

I could be wrong and you're having a different issue, but I know this has tripped me up in the past with other older Windows programs.

3. randyripoff

randyripoff Chieftain

That was it!. Thank you[!