1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

MGE/Chronicles CivII - music probs

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Technical Support' started by Necrosis, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Necrosis

Necrosis Chieftain

My pleasure on the updates, I figure most Chronicles players are going to be on civfanatics sooner or later :D

I think the more people contacting them, the merrier. Feel free to mention the case details I listed below, at least that way they'll know for certain there's people following this. Personally I think its bad form to release a flawed product and then effectively wash your hands of the entire affair.

I don't know if any of the guys from the other thread tried contacting T2, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few more voices. Otherwise we're going to end up with shoddy products for life.

Mind you, if indeed they have referred this to the "developers", and I can only assume they mean Firaxis or somesuch, civfanatics might want to try something official. I mean, they mention the site on in the Chronicles bonus material don't they? Perhaps they might sit up and take notice.

Failing that, I've a week to reopen their case, but I don't see it going anywhere unless there's mass dissent. As stated before, I have my complete originals handy, but its the principle involved here...

2. ChiefSparkY

ChiefSparkY Warlord

I assume this was never resolved? No music here either and I'm also in the UK...

3. Necrosis

Necrosis Chieftain

Unfortunately, your community lacks the will to actively pursue the issue with the publisher.

Any email to customer service will simply fob you off, and phonecalls are a waste of money.

I would suggest either contacting their press office, or finding a Civ community with the numbers and influence to get the issue resolved.

Good luck with both :salute:

4. sanmadjack

sanmadjack Chieftain

I'd just like to say that I've put together a patch installer that installs the Test of Time 1.1 and Multiplayer Gold 1.3 patch. It can be found on it's thread at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=264508
    I also discovered that the music only works if the disc is in drive D. I had to change some drive letters to make it happen, but once I did the Chronicles disc 2 was recognized by ToT and I could pick tracks and everything. Multiplayer Gold also played the music, but I could not select tracks. It's something, at least.

5. Necrosis

Necrosis Chieftain

For the benefit of the European audience, I spent the best part of a day renaming my drive and then EVERY shortcut to EVERY program on that drive.

At the end of the day, unsurprisingly to some, the music did not play in either Civ2 nor Test of Time - unless I used my disc from the original release of the game many many years ago. So, in short, the music that is NOT on the CD (check the other threads about Disc 2 showing up blank) is still NOT on the CD, and unlikely to appear unless you find an American version of the game.

It would be interesting to know precisely *when* and *where* you purchased your version. It could be that a newer run of CDs has corrected this error in Europe, or (more likely) that you have an American version and thus had the music anyway.

Still, the patch will probably be handy for some. I'm not about to try it, mind you, since the music suggestion was a non-starter. Still, good effort.

6. SegaFan

SegaFan Chieftain

Hi everyone, I'm another one in the UK that is having this problem. Just got Civ Chronicles this week. There's no music on disc 2, doesn't work in the game, doesn't work as an audio CD, it's just not there. I'm really annoyed about this, I bought Chronicles mainly because I enjoyed Civ 2 years ago, the intro music is all there and really brings back the memories, but then absolute silence, so disappointing. I can't play it like that.

So do you know if ANY UK copies of Chronicles have the music or are they all affected? I've only had it for a week I want to know whether it's worth trying to get a replacement.

What's the e-mail address/phone number of the UK technical support? I can't find it anywhere.

7. Necrosis

Necrosis Chieftain

Seemingly, all are affected. And not just the UK, but also other parts of Europe.

The telephone number you require is 0870 1242222 / calls charged at UK national rate. (7 days a week, from 8am to 10 pm (GMT) excluding bank holidays).

Just to reiterate the information -

By "passed on to the developers" read "put into the bin", and by "investigating it further" read "hoping you will stop bothering us".

Good luck. Feel free to quote the Incident number, at least it'll save you having the months of waiting I had to endure.....

8. SegaFan

SegaFan Chieftain

Thanks, I will be contacting that number. I don't hold out much hope but I'll let you know what I get out of it.

Of course the "gameplay and functionality of the game" is affected, the music doesn't work! They shouldn't be selling a game that they know is faulty and incomplete.

9. ScottishCivFan

ScottishCivFan Chieftain

Any further updates on this ?

I have the US version and have the pick music problem on MPG. The audio does play, but unable to use pick music.

10. Necrosis

Necrosis Chieftain

Are you sure you have the US version?

As for the UK version - see above. Noone cared. Community didn't care, company didn't care, developers didn't care.

But feel free to keep buying their products, giving them your support, and posting on the forums. :sad:

11. ScottishCivFan

ScottishCivFan Chieftain

Fairly sure it is as it was shipped from Canada.

Theres definately cd audio on it, but the pick music function does not work, as others with the US version have mentioned.

12. Necrosis

Necrosis Chieftain

Well in that case, I've no clue. There was talk of it being related to the amount of drives, ie Civ doesn't recognise any drive after D, but since I've the Euro version I cannot confirm or deny.

Looks like you got screwed too then, eh? Wonderful way to start the New Year.

13. ScottishCivFan

ScottishCivFan Chieftain

Aye it is, but ive sorted the problem in the meantime by burning a downloaded image of the civ2 multiplayer cd. When I tryed it the pick music option now works, and on drive F.

Still it does not excuse the fact that Firaxis made a . .. .. .. . up on this one.

14. Necrosis

Necrosis Chieftain

Oh, yes, if you have any copy of the ORIGINAL release (from back in the day) then everything works fine.

Still, for posterity I would suggest contacting the publishers (2K Games?) directly or via tech support and registering this as a problem. Feel free to use the references from my post regarding tech support. It's too little too late, but might give you some sort of satisfaction.