Mi first immortal game

Bino

Warlord
Ok, its a bit more difficult, i chose Darius and Terra map, found a passable starting location, did things etc etc. What puzzles me and made me open this thread is the fact that everyone and their dog DoW'd me :confused:

For a few dozen turns is fun to fend off attacks, killing like 4 enemies per unit lost myself, but then meh. Im not sure about keeping playing or restarting hoping for a little more room. Started the game with the idea of going after Honor, then i found myself with no room for a second city if i didnt go for Liberty, then reloaded, got Liberty and second city, only to be forced to conquer are city state to have a third city :mad:

So the point of my thread is, is it normal?

I never had problems finding room for new cities on Immortal, tho I find the pace of Immortal a bit too brisk for my taste.

Ok, its a bit more difficult, i chose Darius and Terra map, found a passable starting location, did things etc etc. What puzzles me and made me open this thread is the fact that everyone and their dog DoW'd me :confused:

For a few dozen turns is fun to fend off attacks, killing like 4 enemies per unit lost myself, but then meh. Im not sure about keeping playing or restarting hoping for a little more room. Started the game with the idea of going after Honor, then i found myself with no room for a second city if i didnt go for Liberty, then reloaded, got Liberty and second city, only to be forced to conquer are city state to have a third city :mad:

So the point of my thread is, is it normal?

Yes, the DoWs are the rule, rather than the exception on Immortal or Deity, especially since the last update.

Honour is a bad choice to start on Immortal and Deity, you're more or less forced into the Liberty route initially. I tend to leave the CS alone, rather than conquer them, as the consequences of being branded a warmonger early can be fairly fatal at those levels!

I usually wait until I have at least National College before expanding my cities to more than a couple. Getting too many cities too early means you'll not be able to grow them without serious happiness problems.

Mister try a bigger map. CS's should be expendable! :)

Mister try a bigger map. CS's should be expendable! :)

They are expendable, but imho, best expended later, rather than earlier, in the game! It does, of course, like many other things, depend on what you're dealt with.

I wouldn't say it's completely normal to get attacked by everyone like that. It depends mostly on the map....if you are isolated you have a pretty good chance at avoiding wars. But yeah if you are surrounded by nearby civs, there's a good chance of at least a couple DOWs. If you are lucky they just send warriors which are pretty easy to kill with archers.

DOFs can be useful sometimes in avoiding some early DOWs. Friends generally won't attack you. But it's best to be careful, you don't want to end up with too many negative diplo modifiers. Don't sign a DOF with Monty ever ever ever.

Make sure to let your starting position relative to your opponents guide your early policy choices. A center start demands a Liberty approach while an isolated start begs for a Tradition approach.

An early CS alliance or two (on your border) can really take the snap out of an early rusher's jab.

Uh a strange thing i never saw happen just took place: i restart, and what i find? Ragusa, wow...but in the form of a settler :confused: I helped myself on it and i got the free worker...is it normal too? :lol:

Uh a strange thing i never saw happen just took place: i restart, and what i find? Ragusa, wow...but in the form of a settler :confused: I helped myself on it and i got the free worker...is it normal too? :lol:

Oh you live in Italy? My Dad is from Triggiano. Anyway that is normal, just means the settler did not build a city before you grabbed him up.

Did you move your settler 1 hex then settled?
It happened to me once. CS had spawned 3 tiles away from me, I moved towards it (unknowingly, of course) and settled at turn 0. As a result AI's settler couldn't settle at all and I don't think he moved either.

Sounds pretty normal to me. I think its only good, you get Great Generals, your units get XP and they dont progress so fast. I usually build 6-10 archers at the beginning then upgrade all of them to Crossbows. Also if theres good city spot, just send there 3 archer to bring down settlers.

On immortal...

I don't find the multiple DOW's to be a problem, although I guess if I started in the middle of 3 civs and the all dogpiled me then things might be too hard.
Mostly I find I survive fine at the beginning, but all too many games just end up with a runaway civ on another continent that I have no hope of keeping up with.

If I didn't have the global happiness problem then I could keep expanding and conquering and keep up that way, but I find myself limited by happiness and just can't keep up. Razing the cities doesn't help either because just killing them off doesn't hurt the guy in 1st place.

Th only advantage you get is tactical unit placement for war, and when they are a long way away there's nothing you can do. Last game when I gave up I was playing motezuma and when I was at about 700 score (3rd place, not far off second), Hiawatha was about 1500, with cities of size 30+ and over the other side of the map. It's just depressing.

Even if I were to try and launch a war against them, they are so far ahead in tech I would get nowhere. I can;t attack them earlier because I need to conquer nearby weaker players to get my city count up.

Some games you are just stuffed and I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

Top Bottom