MIA Imperial News

:bump:

Updated history through turn 170.
Hope to catch us up to turn 180 here soon!

:salute:

- as always - let me know if I missed anything or if you notice any mistakes!

Here's the special surprise I told you I was working on.

I'm turning MIA's history into a movie!
:clap:

At this point, I plan to have 5 chapters.
I'm still a noob at making movies – I'm learning how just for this project! – so please excuse the low quality.

I'm aiming for a fast paced rendition of our history – so I'm trying to keep everything moving and just hit the highlights… I really want to avoid these being boring.
If people want more detail they can read this history thread… or for the really obsessive, I suppose they can sift through our whole forum.

I'll be happy to hear any constructive criticism for working on the next 4 videos… I'd also appreciate any suggestions for music or screenshots I just *have* to include in upcoming videos.

The next video will be titled "Empire Rising" and will cover turns 81-120.

Without further ado… Here's the link...
MIA Part 1: Birth of a Nation
I really hope you enjoy it! :king:

EDIT: P.S. I think the video is better viewed at "full screen" if your internet can handle it.

hmm - ok. I tried something a little different.
Try it now!

I love it! My favorite part? The end credit song - it is "the song that goes like this." :)

Though I, for one, would love to see more detailed movies at some point - to complement the thread.

Too bad this game is almost over.

Thanks Gbno1fan - glad you enjoyed it :)

I know it seems pretty brief, but I'm optimistic that after all 5 are done, it'll be a more satisfying experiance. (Each of the next 4 movies will be just as long or longer, and will cover about half the number of turns each)
Still - if someone wants to make more detailed movies... I'd love to watch them!

P.S. I've also updated the history in this thread all the way through turn 190 now. (That's 2 updates)

EDIT: And great catch on the Monty Python nod... I didn't think anyone would catch that. It's from the Musical. :thumbsup:

Nice movie :thumbsup:.

Regarding the Scientific Method fiasco, it occurred to me eventually that a more likely explanation was pollution, especially since we missed by more than 1 beaker.

General_W, you continue to impress :)

Great job! I can't wait to see the others.

I just reread most of the MIA Imperial History, and enjoyed every word. Thanks for putting in time on this.

I just wish we could broadcast this all in the UN, so the other teams would do the same for their history; but I'll just have to be patient :)

General_W said:
And great catch on the Monty Python nod... I didn't think anyone would catch that. It's from the Musical.

My fiance and I saw the musical on its pre-broadway run in Chicago with the original cast - from 5 rows out, center stage. Excellent show and excellent cast (Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, and David Hyde Pierce)!

I bought the soundtrack as soon as it was released.

I liked it, but it wasn't very sharp. Is that because of Youtube, my :badcomp: or the video itself?

Thanks for all the positive feedback!
@Dutchfire - sadly, that's a YouTube issue. The native video is actually really sharp - but it's a 17MB file that's too big for me to post directly to CivFanatics. I'm open to other ideas for distributing the video.

As I've been working on Part 2, I've been thinking about gbno1fan's comment about wanting more info. I think I may rework video 1 just a bit, cover fewer turns and add some text-only slides to make things more clear.

We'll see how much work it turns out to be. If it's not too hard, I'll post an alternate version of Part 1 to see which one you like better.

Ok, I'm excited to announce the alternate version of Chapter 1: Birth of an Empire.

I must say – I actually like this one better… it's a little more reading, but I think it will make it easier for people to follow what's going on.

I'd love to hear your feedback!

Chapter 2 is currently in progress. Don't know if I'll get it done today or not… and then I'm out of town this weekend. So we'll just see – but don't worry, they're coming!

Alternate version, Chapter 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOcQkLarcYs

Very nicely done General_W! I really like it. :goodjob: I'm not sure which version i like better of chapter 1, but either one would be suitable for the full movie. :)

Farout :wow:

Your creativity never ceases to impress mate :thumbsup:

Although it took ages due to my slower than normal dialup speed ... it was indeed well worth it ... your choice of music gave me shivers :D

Full screen was blurry for me :( ... bloody computer [pissed]

Constructive critisism
>
Part 1 - Original
... spelling mistake of Empire in closing credits.
>
Part 1 - New
... the first info screen was too fast (but pause is an option).
... problem with DL only got upto first contact (41 sec).
>
Part 2
... some information screens are not up long enough (but pause counters that)
... spelling mistake of Empire in closing credits.
... Also I'd make it a bit more clear that we were trading with TNT to get technologies that would benefit both KISS and MIA (as per the treaty)

ASIDE
I would suggest that you also post the links on the story section of the forum. New Audience ;)
However on the front page I would explain the concept of the game and perhaps summarise the traits of each team.

:hmm: I do hope that the plan for yahoo to absorb youtube doesn't make it more difficcult to post.

I like the new chapter one better.
One thing: sometimes I can't see the white letters because the background is grey/white too (mostly when the screenshot shows unit-menu).

Thanks for the feedback!

@Fe: I'll fix those mistakes… and I think I'll try to rework Chapter 2 to give a bit more time to the blue text screens.

@Dutchfire – I know, the lettering is tricky, but I don't have many good options in the program I'm using. I'll tinker with it a bit and see what I can do.

@All- I could make the full hi-res videos available by e-mailing them to our g-mail account. Would anyone be interested in those? Or are the YouTube videos good enough?

Ok Fe! I'll do that tomorrow.

In the meantime... here's a reworked version of Chapter 2 on YouTube for those that would like to see!
Thanks for all the comments that are helping make this better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQCeN7i6HuI

Top Bottom