MIC1 - The Commercial Research Hater

I would say the same. I know from the Korean Spac victory with Aggie that the settler factory was the key to dominating that game. 4 turns is sweet. I would also look for a worker factory in this game to get some gold bearing roads down. I'll have a look at the territory tonight and see if there is anice spot for the GL. I suppose a 50 turn lit run would ensure the timing of the prebuild other wise the AI might not research it until our prebuild expires. Right now I will be concentrating on a settler factory and settling towards the EAST. We have to fill in all our land and keep celts out.

There is a nice spot east, where the warrior is standing. It has 6 BG's after expansion.

And Veii should be good as a combined worker/warrior town.

Btw, the settler factory is up and running already.

Just my idea of a dotmap. The yellow is the shield-rich area.

Well, I'm headed to smiley face with 1st settler and then heading towards the lake with the next. The 3rd on my watch will go towards the furs. We shouldnt have happy trouble since we have no research budget so the furs can wait. I don't want the celts coming in on any of our grassland. that fogged area to the NE should get high priority. The 3 cities West of Veii on the dotmap can wait for a while. Any thoughts?

Sounds good, expand towards the AI is a priority.

Just a thought about the coastal dot southish of the yellow, it would drag in the game and another bg for the yellow town and yet another town further up the coast (that would be on the bg next to the mountain) could help this city to gain all the bg's without temple.

Plus we can build curraghs :)

Point noted on the curraughs. More contacts open up more brokering opportunities, and we absolutely need those. Until I have my butt sitting in the throne room looking at the empire through the magic crystal ball monitor it is tough to make the call. If we have iron I don't really care where the celts settle because the towns will be ours down the road anyway.
I guess the question is stop the celt expansion or go coastal cruising? Is there any evidence the celts have another contact east of them? If so, perhaps the better thing to do is the quick curraugh.

I think the best way would be yellow dot with first settler, lake with second and then coast with a third. The coastal town to build curraghs and workers to help the GLib town.

I agree, it's a difficult choice...

Mic01 – 1250BC

Preturn. My count on the factory shows we need one more mine to be a factory. Settler one will go to the high bg tile and start on the GL. Settler two will be a decision later. Veii needs 7 shields so we’ll get it in two swapping tiles next turn. Move settler out for GL site. Brennus has 4 cities total so we are not far behind him.

IT – Not much

[1] 2110 – Move worker out to road towards Antium. I think the factory should work. It was because we had 5 food in box when I got the factory. It should straighten out after this 5 turn settler. Eastern warrior goes 1 N and spots a tile to cross through Brennus country. He’ll say to get out but I will get through to explore for contacts.

IT – Veii-Rax>Future legion (warrior) Mp for antium too.

[2] 2070 – Move warrior next to Camludium to get the warning next turn. Settler would be 2 shields short if gov puts new pop on forest we need 12 and only make 8 with growth next turn. I’ll take the settler in 2 and then it should be rolling fine.

IT – We apologize to Brennus. Forest chop on Antium rax completes.

[3] 2030 – Move out of Brennus country and continue N.

IT – Rome – Settler>Settler

[4] 1990 - Send settler to lake. Move northern warrior further past Brennus. BTW, he has gems on his borders. Plant Cumae and realize we really don’t have a good prebuild option. 30 granary or temple. I’ll put it on temple and it can go to rax if next leader thinks prudent. We need masonry. No deals with Brennus. Think I messed the MM in Veii because I’m either 1 f or 1s short on warrior build. We’re tied with Brennus in cities.

IT – Nada

[5] 1950 – Moving north. Making roads. Decide to swap Veii warrior build to worker in 2 to get more roads down and up to the furs.

IT – We lose a warrior to a barb in the south. Antium -Rax>Warrior

[6] 1910 – Not much. Roading. Move tile in Rome for 2-2 on settler.

IT – Veii-Wkr>Wkr

[7] 1870 – Connecting cities and settler heading to lake. Veii can do 5-turn workers.

IT – Settler>Settler.

[8] 1830 – Settler goes for furs.

IT – Nada

[9] 1790 – Move warrior breaking fog near lake and spot 2 celt warriors 4 N of undefended Antium. Probably just barb hunting and exploring.

IT – Nada

[10] 1750 – Still looking for another AI. Rome needs it’s tile swapped for the 4-turn.

Our lands. I moved the settler one past the lake spot in original dotmap to catch the cow and another hill.

I hope we meet another AI next 10 turns. I really want to block the choke by 3 warriors and a settler. Seems Celts have quite some good land too. 2 lux over there.

Aggie -
gozpel -
barbslinger - just played
betazed - up
microbe - on deck

Your right about the settler and barbs. Fortunately our friends the celts are there to handle that. The warrior in Antium next turn can go help him out or next leader, Betazed I believe, can pause the settler or divert him to Antium to wait.
There has to be another AI past the celts with 3 lux on the continent spotted so far.

Pre turn: MM Rome to grow a turn early but still create the settler in 2 turns.

Turn 1 1725 BC: Settle Pompeii. Barb moves in over the fog. We get Wrting. Start min research on Philo. Hmm... Two workers were on Autogo to un roaded tile. Just a FYI this is inefficient. Our workers need 3 turns to road a tile so sending two of them to a tile is not optimal. I am sure everyone knows that and this was just an oversight. Increase lux.

I build an embassy with the Celts for 39G. There are building the Pyramids. Due in 29 turns. thery have two luxes making 7 spt.

Turn 2: 1700 BC: Settle Pisae. Take care of the barb. We need a curragh. So I will create a harbor town. Settler gos to create one. Veii Worker -> Spear. We do not have anything to protect our settlers.

Romer Settler -> Spear. I am sorry but we have to do this.

IBT: Antium riots. Oops. Warrior had to move out to kill barb.

Turn 3: 1650 BC: zzz

Turn 4: 1600 BC: Contact China.

Now we have writing and we can easily do a 4 fer to get all techs from China and Celts. This will include IW, Masonry, Wheel and Myst. But if we do that our philo gambit goes. because philo is 45 turns away. So I am in two minds here. What to do?

Personally, I think we will never get philo first. So I would trade teh techs. But I will let the team decide here. So I stop and ask. Should I trade the techs?

I would say yes.

And go min research on Lit.

I don't think we can get Philosophy the first anyway, as AI would research it pretty fast.

We also need Masonry to switch the GL prebuild to palace. And we need to see where iron and horses are.

Well, that makes two votes on doing a trade. If I do not hear from anybody else in another 20 minutes I will trade and keep playing.

If we had full on research it is a gambit. This sounds like a losing proposition. Lit all the way for GL.

Turn 4: 1600 BC (contd) : Masonry, IW from China for Writing and 5gpt. Writing for Mysticism to Celts. Create embassy in China for 61 G. They are also building the pyramids due in 49 making 5spt.

We have Iron in our territory and also lots of horses.

Turn 5: zzz

Turn 6:

Turn 8: Scythian conscript comes out of the fog and ransacks Pisae one turn before it can finish its first warrrior. Crap. We lose 30 G.

Turn 9: zzz.

Turn 10. Worker is ready to road fur next turn. barbs are killing us. There are everywhere I turn. So I have dedicated Veii to spear production. It turns out a spear every 4 turns just like our settler factory. So combining these two should work very well. However, they are not synced in producttion sequence right now.

On a personal note, I hate games with barbs. They just add a unnecessary difficulty dimension that has little to do with game playing skills and just slows down initial expansion for everybody.

Pic and save game to follow.

Top Bottom