MIC1 - The Commercial Research Hater

I agree barbs are annoying, but live with it for now. :) It would also make us honest in producing military, otherwise AI might come after us instead.

I'd rather produce some warriors. They can be upgraded to legions!

Aggie - on deck
gozpel -
barbslinger -
betazed - just played
microbe - up

I see we are trying the philo gambit on minresearch after all. Fingers are crossed.

Oh! Crap! I see what you mean.

Barbs drove me crazy. I forgot to switch science to Lit. Please do that ASAP, we lost 6 turns.

Maybe we can just continue? We probably can sell to the other continent even if we fail to get it first on our own continent. We won't be able to GL in 50 turns anyway. :)

EDIT: why 6 turns? I see it's 40 turns left. We would lose 10 turns.

microbe said:
EDIT: why 6 turns? I see it's 40 turns left. We would lose 10 turns.

Well, we started when we could not do the trade so I would not call the first 4 turns a loss.

On my turn 4, I could have switched which I did not. IMHO, we should switch. We will not get the GL in 50 turns, but if we continue then it will be 90 turns before we get to Lit. I think we can get the GL within 90 turns built in Cumae.

betazed said:
Well, we started when we could not do the trade so I would not call the first 4 turns a loss.

Why not? Decision to research either Philosophy or Lit doesn't depend on the trade anyway. I would have set min research to Lit as soon as we learned Writing, but now we are 10 turns into it already..and I think AI will still get Lit sooner than we finish the prebuild. I'll have to think more about it. What do others think?

Also, I'm thinking we should road network up towards Celts once we get a couple more cities built including heading towards the choke. We need some more lux badly and we should have the money by then if we toss in some furs.

microbe said:
Why not? Decision to research either Philosophy or Lit doesn't depend on the trade anyway. I would have set min research to Lit as soon as we learned Writing, but now we are 10 turns into it already..and I think AI will still get Lit sooner than we finish the prebuild. I'll have to think more about it. What do others think?

You are right. I guess I screwed up. :( Sorry.

gozpel said:
Toss a coin and play on :)

You mean switch to Lit?

I'm fine either way. Aggie even wanted to do zero science, so whatever min sci gives us is a bonus and we shouldn't depend on it anyway. :)

I'll start MIC2 first, then play this one.

If this were a different game I would switch to Literature now immediately. I think we can still get it. We even got Lit @1st in AG8! Now I don't mind however. Somehow min Lit feels like an easy way out in this specific game.

FWIW I don't mind barbarians. It hinders the AI as much as it does us and it asks for a different and less careless game. The extra units were a good call.

Preturn: I decide to keep researching Philosophy, just to see what happens. :)
Lux can drop to 30.

(1)1475BC: Rome is size 4. Not exactly a settler factory. I MM it to build a warrior in 2 turns first.
Move settler to east.
(2)1450BC:
IBT China has Polytheism. Crap, a barb horse shows up in the north.
(3)1425BC:
(4)1400BC: Hispalis founded right under two barb horses.
(5)1375BC: 3 Celts warriors kill 2 horses and clear the barb camp for us. :thankyou:
(6)1350BC: ZZZ
(7)1325BC: ZZZ
IBT America completes Colossus. Our curragh sinks.
(8)1300BC: Celts settled a city beyond the choke and claimed furs! We'll still control the choke. Good thing is Celts don't have any resources connected either.
(9)1275BC: Furs connected and lux lower to 10.
(10)1250BC: Kill two barb horses. We need to clear the barb camp in SW and settle west to it.

Also please move 2 warriors to block the choke. Lux in 20 again as Rome grows.

Iron will be connected in 3 turns. I'm building a couple warriors before that so we could upgrade. Let's build Legions and prepare a war against Celts! We just need to fortify some spears/legions at the choke. There are about 3 Celts warriors wandering beyond the choke in the north part of our land.

Rome needs MM every other turn. Check it and lux every turn.

First curragh suicide run failed. Let's go north and try more.

IHT: I MM a bit to get more growth/commerce without slowing down production. I'm not so sure about a very early war. It means a despot golden age for us.

IT: Veii: warrior->warrior. Antium: warrior->worker.

Turn 1 (1225 BC) A couple of warriors go to kill barbs in camps.

IT: We can now build our UU. Rome: settler->settler.

Turn 2 (1200 BC) Elite warrior kills barb in hut.

IT: A wandering warrior in the south survivies two attacks by barbarian horses and promotes to veteran

Turn 3 (1175 BC) Lutetia founded SE of the horses, close to the choke. It starts with a warrior.

IT: We get the FP screen. Veii: warrior->legionary. Ravenna: curragh->curragh. Hispalis: worker->worker. The Celts finish the Pyramids.

Turn 4 (1150 BC) :sleep:

IT: China kicks us out. I almost reached the northern point of their empire.

Turn 5 (1125 BC) Regular warrior kills a barb and promotes. The choke is blocked.

IT: Rome: settler->settler.

Turn 6 (1100 BC) The Celts and Chinese know Map Making.

IT: Pisae: barracks->legionary. The two horses in the barb camp to the west move away.

Turn 7 (1075 BC) The barb camp with now one warrior is dispersed by a vet warrior. In the south a vet warrior kills a barb and promotes.

IT: Two barb horses attack a warrior in the mountain, but we survive and the warrior turns elite.

Turn 8 (1050 BC) Finally our curraghs are in place to try a suicide run.

Turn 9 (1025 BC) Byzantium founded. Curragh goes north.

IT: Rome: settler->settler.

Turn 10 (1000 BC) Brundisium founded, starts with worker. The curragh in the north spots whales, but two more turns are needed to make it to the other side. The temple of Pompeii can be whipped next turn.
China and the Celts know Philosophy now :(

Top Bottom