1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mic4 - AWM

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Succession Games' started by microbe, Sep 17, 2004.

1. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I want to get some experience with Always War. So far I only had two experiences: SGOTM1 (AWR) and SGOTM3 (not a strict AWE, but IMO at least the same difficulty, if not more, with all the restrictions).

We'll be playing a standard continent map. I'm thinking Greece as the civ as it starts with Alphabet and has a good UU to survive the ancient and early middle ages, but it's up to debate.

This is strict AW - you have to contact the AI as soon as you see it (showing up on F3), and declare at the same turn. No per turn deal or MA is allowed.

I would like people at at least DG level and preferably with some AW experience to join. It would be good learning experience to me, so if you are experienced and willing to help, please join. :)

We can talk about more details. For example, do not allow bombers.

Roster:
    microbe
    gozpel
    grs
    Justus II
    6thGenTexan
    Nick014

2. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Continent map is fine and Greece is alright too.

Early GA never bothered me...much. :)

Btw, your PM-box is full, microbe.

3. grs

grs nameless one

I'd be happy to join a mic-x game again, if you allow me an occasional skip during the weekdays - only occasional, really :).

4. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Glad to have you, grs. :)

5. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

I saw the discussion in the LK Series thread, and I'd love to get in on this if you'll have me. All my Always-War experiences were unintentional also! ;) I've been wanting to try one, just never got in on one before they got rolling. Thanks!

6. 6thGenTexan

6thGenTexan Chieftain

I'm available for another game to fill out your roster.

7. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

Great to have you all. Any more thoughts on the game setup (like % of land)? Do I just go ahead and generate a start as usual? :)

I'll start this no later than tomorrow night.

8. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

One hint - building the great library is a big help in AW. The trick is to plan early and have literature arrive just as the pre-build is done. If you don't believe the difference check our the AWE Austria without it, and AWE Aztecs with it.

9. Nick014

Nick014 Deposed Despot

If there's room for a sixth, I'd like to join :)

If not, I'll go grumble off in a corner somewhere

10. grs

grs nameless one

Not sure if we need the library in monarch. If we play continents, which I'd prefer too - tech pace on monarch will not be that fast. I have no objections to play Greece, but what do you think about Catharge? I think seafearing can be nice on continents too - not the usual seafearing on archipelago game.

11. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

I would still like to get GL. My goal is to go up to AWE eventually, where GL is much more important, so I want to see how this strategy works.

Seafearing is almost useless in always war IMHO. We don't need fast contact. What do others think?

@Nick014: I am not against 6 players, but I haven't played an SG with you and don't know how to judge your level. Since this is always war (despite being just monarchy), I'd feel more comfortable with playing with people I know about, and it will also make communication and discussion easier. You are always welcome to join my next SGs, if you are interested. :)

12. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

I'd stick with Greece, the Hoplite is an excellent CHEAP defender, and I'd think we'll want a lot of them! Numidians are expensive for the extra offense point. Plus, I like Scientific for AW. We'll (obviously) be doing our own research, so the free techs and cheap libraries come in handy, and they also let us push our borders out quicker, giving us more early warning/reaction time.

As for the Great Library, since that's a common AW tactic, let's use it, it's part of the learning curve.

Map settings are fine (continents), I don't have any real preferences otherwise.

13. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Nick is alright, I've played a game with him and he will join next GozGram which will be DG or Deity, so he knows the routine :) Dunno what his AW-skills are though, but I'm not the one bragging about mine.

I'm happy with civ and settings, lets go hoplites...and at least we won't have them against us if we play Greece :) Btw, who got those enkidu warriors? Sumeria right, microbe mentioned them beforehand I think.

Sumeria: Scientific & Agricultural - Enkidu Warrior 1 2 1 10

The enkidu is almost too cheap

14. Nick014

Nick014 Deposed Despot

Well, I routinely dominate demigod and can sometimes beat deity. gozpel's played with me, so he might be able to give you a better idea (if his old brains can remember that far back :D ). However, your sentiment is understandable.

*heads off to said corner and begins to grumble*

edit: appearantly his old brains are not only that good, but they can read minds :eek:

15. 6thGenTexan

6thGenTexan Chieftain

I'm all set to go with Greece. What will our tech strategy be? I'm thinking start on IW and pick up the cheap techs in the initial trade before war. We can delay Writing/Lit until we have a city picked out to host the Great Library.

16. grs

grs nameless one

Hmm, if we start with alphabet why not go Writing, CoL, Phil. - Republic and then Literature? We just have to start a pre-build in time. Monarch AI will not take the GL from us.

17. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

I'd normally agree with grs on that, Lit is one of the last techs for the AI to research, and at Monarch I'm sure we can get Philo first, but do we really want Republic? I'm usually a big Republic advocate, but for AW, wouldn't we rather be in Monarchy? Declaring on every opponent will rapidly push us to max WW, and no peace deals for relief.

We could still use Writing-Philo as trade items during the initial contact session. Not sure what else to take as the free tech, kind of depends on what others we've picked up by then. Lit is easy enough to research on our own, so I'd say whatever is the most expensive tech available at the time, but it's probably still worth doing just to deny it to the AI.

18. grs

grs nameless one

Erm...forget about Republic. I stop posting for now - I need some rest from moving 500+ legions for some hours.

19. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

There are a few options. I'm tempted to go for this:

Min on Writing -> Max on Philosophy -> take another tech (Iron Working or Map Making) as free tech, then research Lit and control the rate so we could research it when we get our prebuild close to completion.

The question is do we go for Iron Working first before Writing? Also when do we expect to be able to build Great Library? This is the most important question we need to answer before deciding on the tech path. I guess I'll have to read some AW game first.

Nobody mentioned how big the landmass should be, so I'll probably set to 70%. Or do we want a bigger one (so we have more room before meeting AI)?

@Nick: if you are still interested I'll put you at the 6th slot. I'll trust gozpel. :)

20. LKendter

LKendter Chieftain Supporter

Cash is pretty much worthless in AW except for the period of the Great Library. This will delay you to long from offensive units (archers). You don't want to count on having iron. The game will screw you for resources. You need to locate the horses quickly to build toward them. AW without swords or horseman is very painfull.