Mic7 - The Peace Corps

We can found 5 towns before expansion phase is over. Red dot is first ring and highest priority. Then one of the blue. Then one of the yellow. Then the remaining blue/yellow as fill-up.

The left yellow could go one tile north to make use of one extra grassland, by the way.

Okay then, guess I was wrong about gifting, and my memory of it being permament would probably just be because I had gifted IA techs, so the gift was still in effect much later in the game.

Sorry about Orleans. That was actually the main city I didn't have anything to which I could assign it to build that made sense. Clearly, a prebuild would have been the right move. I don't think it should be too much of a problem though, as we still have to finish CoL and learn Philosophy before starting Literature, and we can just time it to the prebuild.

preturn: switch Orleans to Colossus.

WARNING: We are doing negative research with only 20g in bank. If AI demands we'd lose worker or granary in the capital! Please never do that.

I switch Pheims from temple to granary. We need more workers.

1225BC: send settler to the red dot.

1200BC: find we can actually lower lux to 0. Hmm, we are connecting a second gems on the mountain. This is no need to do so yet.

1125BC: Vikings complete Colossus.

1025BC: CoL -> Philosophy in 8 turns. AI still haven't got Writing.

Note: Philosophy in 6. We should revolt immediately.

We need to decide on a good FP city. Since our empire are nicely centered around our capital, and we do not have too many cities, I don't consider FP has to be built asap, so we could choose a town to build it even if it's very slow, as long as the town will become a powerhouse later. But I am not sure which of the 2nd or 3rd ring city would stand out.

Connecting second gems was to trade to Carthage. Worker headed towards Carthage was to create the route. Trading luxuries whenever we can seems pretty necessary to me. Of course, Carthage doesn't seem to be helping much in creating a trade route. But it seemed, and still does seem, like a priority.

bed_head7 said:
Connecting second gems was to trade to Carthage. Worker headed towards Carthage was to create the route. Trading luxuries whenever we can seems pretty necessary to me. Of course, Carthage doesn't seem to be helping much in creating a trade route. But it seemed, and still does seem, like a priority.

lurker's comment: Critical in a no-military game is that you don't have extra resources or luxuries connected/available. These will either be demanded by the AI or -worse- the AI will invade you to conquer these resources. Betazed once played a similar game on deity and he came with loads of findings. I believe that you have a link to that somewhere in this game.

That's right.

You control the resources/luxes, but you don't need to connect them.

Aggie said:
lurker's comment: Critical in a no-military game is that you don't have extra resources or luxuries connected/available.

I think bed_head means to trade them away, even for nothing. If we trade the extra resources to Carthage, it would improve its attitude. Would this still make other AI more aggressive?

In any case, I still think it's too early to connect extra resources. Until the trade routes are all well-established, we shouldn't connect them.

betazed traded his resourses for less that market value to make everyone gracious (no haggle offers). however, imho, we should be connected to the civ via road or harbor before we connect that 2nd lux and they should be in a non-despotic gov't so we can get some gpt to help our research/treasury. also, we should feel free to sell our only strategic resource, like iron and horses (till we need to rail, that is ;) ) as well as salt.

since we will have republic 1st, i think we ought to sell it to everyone (even at a loss) so they get out of despotism and have more money for our resources. also, do we have any suicide ships out there?

I did not realize that we would be invaded if we had a luxury hooked up and could not trade it to them because we didn't have a trade route. Whether hooked up or not, we still can't trade, so what difference could it make. There seems to be a consensus saying that that was wrong.

However, I still like the idea. Maybe we just wait until we are about to be connected to Carthage, then connect gems, and then trade it. By the time the worker I had sent up to do that (but is now doing something else) had us connected, we would already be in republic and have gifted it around. Then, having gems and being able to trade it would be an immediate boost, and a rather substantial one according to bamspeedy's article. Of course, I haven't read the thread yet, but I think we all agree that trading resources improves attitude?

If you have resources / luxuries that the AI lack there are more likely to attack you.

Connected excess luxuries WILL result in demands. Do you want a remote civ with a fragile trade route getting your luxury? A destroyed trade rep in this game we really be bad.

We are not talking about that at all. I was trying to connect us to our immediate neighbor, the civ we most badly need to be our friend. We don't have a trade route with anyone yet, so no demands possible. I was trying to make a trade to make the AI less likely to attack, but everyone seems to be saying that by connecting it I made it worse. Which seems completely illogical, though considering some AI activities it is not at all improbable.

bed_head7 said:
We don't have a trade route with anyone yet, so no demands possible.
If the AI has a harbor, then you will have trade routes to the world.

LKendter said:
If the AI has a harbor, then you will have trade routes to the world.

Edit: Sorry, that was unnecessary. No one has Map Making yet. In my turns, no one else even had writing.

bed_head7 said:
Edit: Sorry, that was unnecessary. No one has Map Making yet. In my turns, no one else even had writing.
hehe, lets pick the scab :) actually, one of betaze's hunches was that being ahead in tech also opened you up for attack. that's why he felt it was easier in diety than emporer. unless someone logically opposes it, in 6 turns, the world will catch up tech-wise ;)

Tech lead can mean more power, and being more powerful can invite attack. But we will soon be even in tech. However, we still will not be able to trade our luxuries, and I am having trouble figuring out why this is a good thing.

Top Bottom