1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft's Chinese factories not very "labor friendly"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

http://www.nlcnet.org/reports?id=0034&t=1

This strengthens by resolve to minimize purchase of new electronics (I may get one of those cassette converter thingies for my car though :blush: (that you plug an MP3 player into).

I'm not going to quote the whole article but it's worth a read or at least a skim.

"The idea that ‘without sweatshops workers would starve to death' is a lie that corporate bosses use to cover their guilt."

2. amadeus

amadeus Bring back the Civ2 theme!

And why do they choose that life over the rice fields, Narz?

3. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

If those folks arent working even for a pitiful wage, what do you think they will do then? Eat mana from heaven?

I know I quote this often, but it applies here. Judge Smials from Caddyshack: "The world needs ditchdiggers too!!".

Its a global economy, but the global standard for living lacks a lot. A whole lot. Every day when I drive to work, I see tons of people standing in the labor ready parking lot waiting for a job. Sometimes you do what you gotta do even if it sucks, because being paid and eating is better than the alternative of not doing either.

4. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

I must increase my purchase of consumer electronics to ensure these workers are paid!

5. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

This is useless.

Individual humans are insignificant. Group effort is just insignificance multipied. People power is a lie. The only way to change things is to deliver yourself into a position of power. That, or wait for better times.

6. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

Source

I think the workers in this facility are there because it beats their alternative options.

If China really is the economic super-power of our time, why the hell can't these workers find some jobs working for domestic business, where the evil Americans can't abuse them?

And shouldn't the Chinese government be stepping into the equation? You can't just blame the American/foreign business, when the government is turning a blind eye, or might even be encouraging these kinds of practices. As much blame falls on the Chinese government, as it does on Microsoft IMO.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Why do teenagers become prostitutes? Why do parents sell their children into servitude?

I mean, dude, if parents want to saw one of the child's limbs off to make him more profitable as a beggar, who are we to judge them (well actually, judging them is fine, just not the system that allowed their conditions)? Just let the invisible hand do it's work. The Lord... err Market, works in mysterious ways. :shake:

I can't say for sure what I'd do if I were a teenage girl in poverty. Hmm, farm labor in a market where huge agri-business has destroyed any real market for my goods, prostitution, mindlessly screwing together mice for 16 hours a day, beggar? The fact that any particular individual might choose one over the others doesn't make it good. That's just illogical.

Yes. I know. I should stop f-ing around on here & find a more powerful platform. :undecide:

8. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

Because welfare, unemployment and other social programs in USA have done SO much to stop homelessness, prostitution and drug peddling... By all means, let's throw more money at it, and hope it goes away.

9. GVBN

GVBN Emperor

Wow that is unbelievable, exploiting young kids like that. From now on I'm going to buy crap quality mice that cost twice as much and break down after a month because it was made in some labor friendly workplace where they smoke weed 5 hours a day

10. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I blame both. Neither's negligence excuses the other's.

11. Kraznaya

Kraznaya Princeps

Yeah okay since we're all in this agreement this thread does nothing, let's chop-chop?

12. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

Apparently, it is far easier and more economically rewarding to simply blind them.

Link to video.

13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

How does taking away the option to screw mice together improve the situation?

14. Kerozine

Kerozine Deity

Hmm, surprisingly low-tech manufacturing process.

15. DinoDoc

DinoDoc Deity

Shocking! A Chinese factory that abuses its workers?!?!

16. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

This, basically.

Sometimes some work is better than no work.

17. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I just got a new Black and Decker toaster oven for the price of $29.95. I have no idea how they can even manufacture them for that price, much less sell them. But it certainly isn't done in this country.

And in the paper this morning, I saw that Macy's now has the same toaster on sale for $24.95...

18. Narz

Narz keeping it real

How does closing down a restaurant that fails basic sanitation standards & pays it workers below minimum wage help them? Obviously they know the health risks involved & don't mind working for $4 an hour. Screw laws. Screw human rights. We must protect their jobs at all costs! :mad:

Ridiculous of course. No one in their right mind would make this argument about people & businesses in their own country & yet even otherwise intelligent people can tolerate & even defend flagrant human rights abuses when they involve people of a different culture/nation than them (one that just so happens to make their culture's lifestyle possible).

19. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Which would you rather be? A homeless bum or a guy sweeping gunk out of the sewers?

Cue Mike Rowe and Dirty Jobs.

20. Narz

Narz keeping it real

It's not as much about the "dirtyness" of the job as the mind numbingness of it, the minimal pay & the 16-hour days, day after day.

My last job was taking care of farm animals (including cleaning up after them). It was dirty but it was meaningful work also. And I wasn't doing it 16 hours a day (with 20% of my salary cut for eating a few of the eggs during the day). I mean if you read even 20% of the article & hear about what's actually going on you'll realize how outrageous it is to be justifying this type of stuff.

Again, no one would want their sister or friend or even a neighbor they didn't particularly like to be treated this way but when it's someone 8,000 miles away they can envision as "starving to death" (many people starving in China?) without the "glorious opportunity to serve Market (Mammon), designing my new iPod/Pad/whathaveyou"! all of a sudden it's not only ok, it's morally good! :(

Also, CG, the guy cleaning gunk out of sewers is necessary work (or at least somewhat necessary, we could fit a large percentage of society with composting toilets but that would require a massive retrofitting job that would probably be more trouble than it's worth) but a factory designing new cell phones (when millions of perfectly fine cells are probably thrown away every week) at $40 each (or maybe "free" with a $1,200 [24 months @ $50/m] minimum contract), this is not a necessary justifiable service. Without planned obsolescence it wouldn't be at all practical.

It's reprehensible from a human rights perspective. It's reprehensible from an environment perspective. And it's reprehensible from an ethical perspective. Especially considering this (their phony PR letter) :