Microwaved water & plants

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Jun 28, 2006.

1. ironduck

ironduck Deity

No. The OP was you claiming that a girl's unscientific project that concluded that microwaving water was damaging for plants was 'interesting'. Not only that, you added a 'toxic' sign to the post.

This implies that you took it seriously, when in fact there's nothing to take seriously. There are a million and one urban legends about microwave ovens claiming that they are responsible for just about all that is wrong in this world. And it is so typical of you to post such ridiculous 'findings' and claim they are 'interesting'. What you do is spread misinformation and treat it as if it has a real basis. Try applying a bit of scepticism instead of all this alarmist nonsense.

2. Caprice

Caprice Warlord

Would be nice to see that experiment carried out on a large scale. Everyone assumes microwaves are safe... who really knows? All this money and time trying to make sure cell phones are safe but microwaves are much more potent.

That said, I'm still not quite ready to be rid of my microwave.

3. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

One thing that would be interesting to see would be if microwaves reduce the amount of dissolved gases in water by shaking it at harmonic frequencies. I don't know how important dissolved gases are to plants, but they might make a difference. I know that they wouldn't make any difference at all to animals.

4. ironduck

ironduck Deity

There has been plenty of research done on microwave ovens. Keep in mind that the microwaves are non-ionising. And the ovens are well secured, the amount of radiation escaping is small.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_oven#Radiation

5. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Boiling water by any means pretty much removes all dissolved gasses ;)

6. Cuivienen

Cuivienen Deity

Oops. Didn't see that she boiled it. Well, maybe not, then.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Wrong. I didn't conclude anything. You would get more respect if you read before you started throwing accusations.

And yeah, I put the skull & crossbones on the post, so what?

It implies nothing. I could have taken it seriously or as a joke. You don't know really, do you?

I'm not spreading any misinformation. Unless you are accusing the old man of lying about his granddaughter.

Why do you get your panties all in a bunch over my posts anyway? I'm not making any claims, just posts. Relax, you'll live longer.

8. Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde Dr. techn.

There is nothing the microwave can do with water other than heating, and as posted by Perfection you need identical conditions and more than one pair of plants (like 100s of pairs and the setup in a way you can exclude other external factors) for a statistical clear-cut conclusion.

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I agree.

10char

10. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

The term is "weaseling".

Try this: Anonymous unverified sources say that you're a money-laundering sodomite, Narz.

Now, if I had made a thread on that and five people made comments to the effects of "knew there was something wrong about that guy"... I think that the moderators would have been down on the thread quite heavily, no matter how much I said "I'm not concluding anything, the sources might be wrong!".

11. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Listen fellas, people make threads about the results of "ONE" study all the time (not to mention hearsay, rumours and the opinions of Ann Coulter). Your analogy is a poor one.

12. blargh

blargh Warlord

The plant that got the nuked water has a nutrient deficiency (Mg, Mn, and proably a few others). It's starving and I don't think the microwave had much to do with it.:rolleyes:

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

This is one method on how we test the toxicity of various things. We include the toxin in the environment, and compare how the organism does. I've most often seen fish used, 'cause they're cheap an easy. And then the scientists determine what concentration of toxin is required to kill 50% of the fish.

Plants seem to be like a good substitute. Narz, you garden, right? Are you tempted to replicate the experiment? If nothing else, you'll have a bit of fun!

14. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I am tempted but since I moved I don't have a garden anymore.

I may try sprouting some seeds though and taking pictures. Indeed, it'll be fun & I'll post the results regardless. Actually, only problem is, I don't have a microwave... maybe at my friend's house. We'll see.