1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

mid-2011 iMac 27" question

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by PrairieDad, Feb 25, 2017.

1. PrairieDad

PrairieDad Chieftain

Hi all,

and thanks. I have a mid-2011 iMac, with an unsupported video card...a Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB. Also four-core, i5 2.7 gigahertz CPU, 8 gig RAM, with 8 more ordered, plenty of disk space. I've played Civ for years...more hours than I care to admit to. ;-)

I've read through all the Civ 6 Mac discussions here at CivFanatics, and while I've heard some about playing on old machines (strat view and 3d on "low" settings," it's sometimes not quite clear what machines/video cards they mean.

So, to be precise, is there anyone out there who can tell me:

1) if I can run Civ 6 on a 512 MB card at all; and if so...

2) If I can:
    a) only use strat view, or
    b) use 3d (at least during early and mid-game, on standard maps) and if so, on which settings?

In Civ 5 at least, setting all video options to "low," "off," or "minimum," as appropriate, gives a mediocre game, but certainly a playable one.

Also, will lower in-game, screen sizes allow higher resolution for things like fog of war, shadow and water rendering? And does windowing (which I never use for Civ 5) make for less graphics cycles use, or more? What about including map inertia (if that's even still a setting...) I've always had it on, but maybe I should turn it off?

Many thanks for any and all help, pointers to other threads, web pages, etc.

PrairieDad

PS I know I can always buy on Steam and then return within two hours of play, but thought I'd ask anyway. Get my feet wet on a new board, I've just joined CivFanatics after all these years.

2. kiwipeso

kiwipeso Chieftain

It just works on the top end 27" 2011 iMac I have, though not with the mods. 16gb ram, 1 gb vram, 3.1ghz i5.
    You really need a 1GB video card, otherwise you will have to run in strategic view only.