[GS] Mid game and after Military Conflicts

ggalindo001

Warlord
Was very disappointed in the devstream when Carl as Hungary declared war on Poland, and despite the normal denunciations and "anger" -- nobody declared war to help Poland, no vote in the World Congress, no "emergency" (ala R&F), no real diplomatic penalty at all.

I personally think the one element that the Civ 6 series that would help the mid game and beyond is more military conflict. And so far in the devstreams, I am not seeing any of this at all.

I know there is a view of not making the game so "difficult" as to ruin the positive game experience, but it is really coming at the expense of immersion and challenge in the mid game and after, esp. at the higher difficulties.

One possible solution, that is already being looked at for the natural disaster "randomness" is a slider that also tones up the military aggressiveness of AI against the HUMAN player(s) (and only HUMAN players, not against other AI -- where the military aggressiveness would be as currently coded) What I am thinking about would revolve around the following:

A -- some base assumptions by difficulty level (Prince = normal "military tone", to Diety where being denounced would likely lead to miltary conflict if advantageous by the AI to the Human Player.

B -- A slider that allows for the base assumption to be enhanced or decreased. And across 2 different possible dimensions (one that impacts all AI opponents, and one that only allows for enhanced/decreased against aggressive/passive AIs. For example, if enhanced against aggressive, it would increase Mongols, etc. but not all AIs (ie, Ghandi wouldn't be enhanced).

C -- A slider that allows for enhancing or decreasing the length of military conflict.

I wonder if the setting they are looking at for the civs around City State aggressiveness can also be leveraged here as well.

Bump

This deserves mentioning. I agree, declaring war on Poland that late in the game should have had some serious repercussions.

I think one of the thinghs that hampers this military conflict is the IA being actually too calculating regarding their own benefits, and less "visceral" as humans can be. They just dont enter emergencies if they see it is helping any other player more than them, even if there could imply some benefit for them. (And, yes, at the same time it greatly miscalculates some other odds, but that's a different factor).

I'd like to see they implement "rage"/"empathy" modes on the AI, at which they just ignore its objectives and decide it is time to just help someone they are in (very) good relation with or damage someone they hate. My fear is if it is too predictive this is prone to be easily exploited by the player, while if too random may be a source of discontent… but maybe a slider mechanic, like that of disasters, could work for this as well.

i agree that the AI should ( strictly at higher difficulties of course for example emperor+ as not to antogonize the casual players ) try to form military alliances starting renaissance onward against more powerful human opponents. Just a military defensive pact against the human player. Currently the human players can easily steamroll over the AI one by one. There should be some political repercussions. Maybe enhancing this mechanic to create a world war in the modern age when the human player declares war with only the allies the human player at that moment has to become one side and all the rest becoming another side?

Top Bottom