Mid/Late game huts

splaxer13

Chieftain
Hi All,

Civ 2 has been one of my favorite games since I started playing it almost 20 years ago or so. I haven't played in a while but started back up again. Quick question, do huts stop giving out scrolls of ancient wisdom once you reach a certain date? I am in 440 BC still so its not too late in the game and I can't get scrolls for the life of me.

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this. I tried searching but couldn't find it on the boards. My apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

Thanks!

I believe you no longer get free advances from huts once invention is discovered. This is true for Test of Time and may be so for earlier versions as well.

That is correct. Once you get invention, you no longer get scrolls out of huts. If getting tech out of huts is part of your strategy, the only thing you can do to give yourself a slight advantage is to avoid researching any prereqs of invention on your own or getting one of those from rivals.

And is it possible to get advances that dont requiere invention but more advanced than invention?

And is it possible to get advances that dont requiere invention but more advanced than invention?

No, since once any civ acquires invention, the scrolls are suppressed.

Here's the best information on hut outcomes:

https://apolyton.net/forum/civiliza...civilization-ii/82184-a-study-of-hut-outcomes

Since this was all done on Deity+Raging Hordes, it doesn't account for the abandoned village (nothing) outcome. Perhaps some other ratios are changed on different settings.

No, since once any civ acquires invention, the scrolls are suppressed.

Here's the best information on hut outcomes:

https://apolyton.net/forum/civiliza...civilization-ii/82184-a-study-of-hut-outcomes

Since this was all done on Deity+Raging Hordes, it doesn't account for the abandoned village (nothing) outcome. Perhaps some other ratios are changed on different settings.
What I'm asking is if it is possible to get advances more advanced while not getting invention or without invention there is no other possible advance possible?

What I'm asking is if it is possible to get advances more advanced while not getting invention or without invention there is no other possible advance possible?

Invention is necessary to get to the end of the tech tree, so you must either research or trade for it, or you must trade for Gunpowder, Steam Engine and Democracy, but that means that someone has researched invention to get there, which suppresses the huts. I think you can get to Theology without Invention, but you'd have to double check the tech tree to see how far you can get. Invention and Navigation cancel an early doubling of the caravan bonus, so I only have memories of delaying both of those, and that has been several years.

A quick check of the tech tree says you can get Atomic Theory without Invention, so, in principle, you could delay invention and get Atomic Theory from a hut, even though Atomic Theory is more 'advanced' than Invention, if I understand your question.

Top Bottom