mid/late-game slowdown when entering city screens

TehJumpingJawa

Warlord
Seems pretty universal - entering & manipulating the city screen gets pretty slow mid to late-on.
This is on a ninja pc that runs vanilla civ4 easy.

I'm experiencing this problem and its making that screen unusable, or at least the pain of using it is becoming unbearable. I rely on the City Screen(s), especially the production and warehouse screens, to keep my automated trade routes tuned properly.

Is there a mod that can bring this data to the game user interface, instead of score card maybe? Certainly would make my game more enjoyable.

Picking what to produce happens by just clicking the city - a little mini-screen pops up letting you do whatever you want to do.

I found the same problem, and I'm going to yell "J'accuse!" at a memory leak or some similar such gremlin - I think rebooting the game tends to fix it, by 'cleaning out' whatever the heck is stalling your memory.

And I have 4 freakin' gigs of RAM.

Stupid 32-bit programs...

Memory leak - exactly the phrase I was going to use before I went all French on the topic.

The Domestic Advisor screen is the one I was referring to. In my current game, the delay for this screen to appear has now become infinite. I have a save game which reproduces this defect. Perhaps it will reproduce it on some one elses machine. I'm running Vista 64-bit, on a quad core system with 4gigs of ram if this is the problem.

Attachments

• Pete AD-1730.ColonizationSave
    168 KB · Views: 78
Yep, this happens to me as well.
I'm running the game on a pretty marginal machine [a Thinkpad R51 with a 32MB graphics card] but everything else is entirely playable; while my framerate can drop pretty bad when the screen is scrolled quickly, that isn't a dealbreaker with a strategy game.
I was wondering if I was the only one who experienced this, because I certainly agree that it's a necessary screen if you like the automated trade [and who doesn't?]

Ok, so I think I've found the answer in one of alpaca's posts:

"By the by, the whole system of having all trade routes exist as game objects needs to go. They should have an in potentia existence when a wagon is assigned but right now, the game creates n*m new trade routes for each good where n is the number of export and m the number of import orders, and puts them on the interface - insane! The worst is you can't use the domestic advisor anymore..."

I'm going to see if this works next time I play, but I'm pretty sure it's the ticket.

Update: Yep, this is the problem. The more possible trade routes there are, the longer it takes for your domestic advisor to pop up. I just had my game go from literaly like two minutes for the screen to load back down the the blink-of-an-eye after I deleted all of my import/export orders.
The way I had it set up was for every city to automatically export any and all goods they have unless they're going to be needing them, but apparently this isn't a workable strategy with the current implementation of automatic trading.
Keep an eye on http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7358651#post7358651 and there might be a more general solution along shortly, but until then just keep your trade routes to a minimum and you'll be all right.

On the first lengthy game that I played, maybe 1.5 hours in, I experienced significant slowdown when entering cities, assigning professions, loading cargo, etc etc. Restarting the game seemed to fix the problem.

If it's a classical memory leak it's the programming language that is to blame, silly game programmers stuck in the past insisting they need to use an archaic language such as C++.

This is, of course, a ridiculous assertion. That restarting fixes the problem points to a leak, but far more likely than leaked memory is a resource leak, against which garbage collection and more "modern" languages are no proof at all. It takes a great deal of work and skill to write a game like this, neither of which is necessary when writing an ignorant, unhelpful post on the bug report forum.

Top Bottom