1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle Age Discussion

Discussion in 'Team FREE' started by Empiremaker, May 26, 2007.

1. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

This thread is for the dissucsion of the Middle Ages, mainly wonders and optional techs. In this game, the Middle Ages are likely to be important.

Wonders: The only wonders I suppourt at this time are Leo's and Smith's and maybe Magellean's.
    My thoughts:
    Sun Tzu - Maybe late to get it, but barracks on our contenient is not worth much.
    Leo's - Half price upgrades are always good.
    Sistene - Um. Yeah. How many cathedrals will we build?
    JS Bach's - Most of our cities will be small, and we only have the extra happiness on our contenient.
    Smith's - Good Wonder. We will have lots of harbors and markets.
    Shakespeare's - Do we really want to research 3 extra techs for a weak wonder?
    Copernicus' - Not terrible, but worth 400 shields at this point?
    Newton's - See above
    Magellan's Voyage - Not strong, but 1 more movement point for ships could be a big benefit.
    Knight's Templar - Not bad, but we will not spend that much time in the Middle Ages, and by the time we go to war, Crusaders won't do much.

Techs- I've made comments elsewhere, but we need Military Tradition. Depending on the situation, Navigation may be helpful. Economics will give access to Smith's. Chivalry and knights won't be worth much in this game. We will need to see how optional techs fit into the MAAP.

For the cities, I think this is the time to build infrastructure becuase it will be hard to war until Navigation or Magentism.

2. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Given that this is a water world, Magellan's Voyage makes a lot sense. Extra movement for us and not someone who might want to attack us. I don't see us fighting a lot, but if we did, it would be overseas and this could be a big help to us.

Free barracks are nice, but isn't this limited to one landmass?

Smith's and Leo's are both favorites of mine and seem to be pretty popular in the SGs.

Magellan's, Sun Tzu, Smith's and Leo's (at least for me). Four Wonders that never expire, two Civs working together. Hmm....

3. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

Oops - I agree with you CB. I meant to say that barracks on continent is not worth much.

4. Kuningas

Kuningas Deity

One thing we haven't discussed yet is when we trigger our GA? I would leave it to the IA.

Here is the list of wonders I would build in priority order.
    1. Leo's
    2. Magellan's
    3. Sun Tzu

Smith's is nice but requires an optional tech to be researched. Economics is worth of 1500 beakers (IIRC). That also would be a tech that we can not trade with the Council. Smith's Trading Co would have to give us at least 1500 gold to make it profitable. STC also costs 400 shields.

Leo's is the top wonder. We can do the common horsemen to Cavalry upgrade. An other upgrade path is Enkidu Warriors to Rifles/Infantry. That's is possible if we have not triggered our GA. I would begin a prebuild in Kazgungudom after FP is built. CB should merge workers into Kazgungudom as many as happiness limit allows.

Magellan's same reasons as CB has stated.

Reasons for Sun Tzu. Barracks costs 40 shields and 1gpt upkeep. We have 20 core cities that need Barracks. So 20*40 shields and 20*1gpt is equal to 800 shields and 20gpt. Sun Tzu's price is 600 shields.

Optional techs: Military Tradition, Navigation. I don't see any point on rest of techs.

5. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

I see your reasons about Smiths. IIRC - Simth's is 600 shields. I think it is late to get Sun Tzu because we don't have a good pre-build right now. I think we should trigger our GA when we go to war. There are no more Agricultural wonders for a long time.

6. vikingruler

vikingruler King

i think Magellan's is the best one to get. it would be very useful in a war and now it could really help exploration. leo's would be great but since we want to come to an agreement on who gets exclusive rights to build a wonder, they probably won't let us build leo's and magellan. i like magellan better and maybe the sistine chapel. we could try to get smith's but Copernicus or newton might be easier to get. it would speed along research.

7. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

How about we get Magellean's and Smith's, and they get Leo's and Sun Tzu. This would give us time to bulld more stuff, and they the SoZ to build their military.

8. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Leo and Sun Tzu would establish their military power. Magellean's would give them a way to project that power.

This would also deny such military enhancers to others we don't know and they don't trust.

Which ones do we want for our goals?

Do we have a particular choice of victory (except not to die?)

9. Empiremaker

Empiremaker Human Fish

I though that if we build Leo's and Mageallen's they wouldn't agree. Maybe we take Mageallens' and Sun Tzu. Regardless, we should start a palace prebuild.

10. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

Once we build the FP in Kaz....something-or-other it will begin a palace prebuild.

(If I understood Kuningas correctly in the Domestic thread, that is.)