1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Middle Ages monuments

Discussion in 'World History' started by janusz692, Feb 20, 2018.

1. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

Look on a new website dedicated to the monuments of medieval and antiquity https://www.medievalheritage.eu
    For now, monuments from Poland, Estonia and Slovakia are available, other countries will be added over time, please write comments and observations
    I hope that it will not be considered as spam advertising, but for post about monuments, castles, fortified churches etc.

Yeekim and Uberfrog like this.
  2. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

3. Buster's Uncle

Buster's Uncle AC2 Co-Owner

I believe the management would be more supportive were you to throw in a few sample pics with the links and that kind of thing, to make the thread worth something regardless of the links...

This would be your own work? I'm sure it would add value to the thread to talk about your interest in the subject - where it came from, what you've done, what curls your toes about it...

4. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

ok, I'm a historian by education, I created medievalheritage.eu a year ago and since then I have been developing it myself. Reason? My fascination with the monuments of the Middle Ages, not only castles about which are thousands of websites but also monasteries, churches, bridges, town houses etc. I have ambitious plans, I want to make the largest page about medieval monuments in history :), in addition to descriptions I want to include mass of photos, plans, reconstructions, old engravings. As for now, the site includes monuments from Poland, Slovakia, Latvia and Estonia, the next I plan Wales. On the site there is also a dictionary of architectural concepts with pictures.

5. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

There is

6. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

You've done a seriously impressive job. :hatsoff:

7. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

Wow - that is something impressive :thumbsup:

8. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

thanks for a good words :)

9. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

10. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

This is really nice work, thanks. It's fun to look at places I've already visited, and to come up with ideas for future trips. I really need to get to visiting Poland and Estonia one of these days.

11. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

I invite you to visit Poland and I heartily recommend it, if I had to propose something, it would be a trip along the Teutonic castles in the north and north-east of Poland or Cracow and the border castles of Kazimierz the Great. :)
    Our southern neighbors Slovaks and Czechs also have beautiful monuments and nature (and by the way, works on Czech monuments are already underway on medievalheritage.eu)

Uberfrog likes this.
  12. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Thanks for the recommendation. Having looked at your page on Malbork Castle, that has gone to the top of my list. What a magnificent castle!

I've enjoyed trips to Prague and Bratislava, but it's clear from your site that there's much much more to explore. :)

13. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

Just come to Malbork after the end of the tourist season, in the middle of the summer hordes of tourists cover the whole castle ;)

Uberfrog likes this.
  14. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Beautiful website!

15. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

16. Gelion

Gelion Captain

I really admire the effort that you've put into this, from all the history loving fans: thank you :)

Do you have plans to use a different, more static, map format or do you plan to keep the one you have? I ask because at least one site with a similar idea (on Ancient Greek sites) uses both formats.

17. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

Thanks a lot :)
    Do you mean this kind of map?
    Irlandia Mapa small.jpg

18. Gelion

Gelion Captain

Yes, this kind of map, but not based on a Google map to start with. I was thinking about something like this:
    https://www.ancient-greece.org/map.html

Incidentally, was this map of Ireland from your site? The markings look very similar.

19. janusz692

janusz692 Chieftain

This is map from my hard drive :) . Even before I started planning to make a website, I made a maps of a few countries to arrange the huge amount of photos, plans and reconstructions that I have on my computer.

Regarding the making of such a map on the site, I did not plan it, although the idea is interesting and now I do not exclude that I will add something like that one day. There is only one problem - time. I am so overworked that I do not know what to do first, I now develop monuments from the Czech Republic (so far available only in Polish), correct and supplement Poland and add a bibliography (at the request of readers) to Slovakia and every time I grab into my hands some interesting book or picture I add new informiations to the site plus technical issues, facebook and... painting of the kitchen of my mother. ;)