Middle-earth Mod

[BTS] Middle-earth Mod 0.4.1

Found it! These might help, though some of them are pretty lame. BTW, are you planning on making Dol Amroth a seperate civ?

Attachments

• diplomatic text.zip
    11.9 KB · Views: 70
Found it! These might help, though some of them are pretty lame. BTW, are you planning on making Dol Amroth a seperate civ?

I will be in the DISTANT future, but I want to work on key features: Items, Regions, Text, VC's, and other special features. Then I can start adding new civs.

Also, I was wondering what art style you were planning on eventually using for the Numenorean explorers? After reading "The Lost Road" and "The Fall of Numenor" a personally imagine them as conquistador-type warriors with cabassets and repiers. That's simply my opinion, however.

UPDATE POSTED

You may download here, or in the original post.

Change Log:
v0.2.1 - 01/15/17
*Added Easterling unit art.
*Changed Select/Order sounds. Not Middle-earth voices, but much better than before.
*Changed Diplomacy Music. Enjoy!
*Updated Game Text (Civics)
*Updated the Traits for every leader

Hey man, I remember playing this sometime last year or something, looked great. Anyway, if you're still looking for someone in the XML department, I could be willing to do some stuff in relation to the civ pedia entries, and possibly the great people names. (Don't have a ton of experience in that last department.) The reason I chose those, has to do with my experience in XML, as well as I know enough of the lore to do it somewhat accurately.

The only catch is I'm working on my own mod, so I can't guarantee how much I'll be around, what with school and what not. Though, I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, if I start something for you, I'll finish it, with your approval, without disappearing. :p

Last edited:
Hey man, I remember playing this sometime last year or something, looked great. Anyway, if you're still looking for someone in the XML department, I could be willing to do some stuff in relation to the civ pedia entries, and possibly the great people names. (Don't have a ton of experience in that last department.) The reason I chose those, has to do with my experience in XML, as well as I know enough of the lore to do it somewhat accurately.

The only catch is I'm working on my own mod, so I can't guarantee how much I'll be around, what with the reserves, school, etc... Though, I can tell you, beyond a shadow of a doubt, if I start something for you, I'll finish it, with your approval, without disappearing. :p

Feel free! I would greatly appreciate any help you can give. Those things are not in a rush - I am in college myself, and have to work as well.

For pedia entries, try checking out tolkiengateway.net - their articles are usually accurate and helpful. You can also check for names to use as GP names. GP names are easy to add - I can show you how if you'd like.

Yeah, I've used Tolkien gateway for my own personal research, so it shouldn't be too difficult to dig up information. Sure, if you wouldn't mind explaining, or at the very least showing me the bit of codes that need to be changed for GPs, I can probably figure out the rest from there.

I'd commit to more important things, though, I don't want to say I'll do something, then not be able to do it...

EDIT: Unimportant as it is, I could also mess around with getting a main menu background in...

I'd commit to more important things, though, I don't want to say I'll do something, then not be able to do it...

I am thankful you want to help out anyway. I don't expect any more at all; in fact, these things are just important as other things - without them the mod is not truly finished.

Yeah, I've used Tolkien gateway for my own personal research, so it shouldn't be too difficult to dig up information. Sure, if you wouldn't mind explaining, or at the very least showing me the bit of codes that need to be changed for GPs, I can probably figure out the rest from there.

EDIT: Unimportant as it is, I could also mess around with getting a main menu background in...
Adding names is easy. The hard part is finding accurate, or at least accurate-sounding, ones. They don't have to really be engineers, spies, etc. but I at least want Middle-earth names. To change the names just replace the names in the <UniqueName> tag. If you have XML experience, it should be obvious what to do.
Code:
        <UnitInfo>
            <Class>UNITCLASS_ENGINEER</Class>
            <Type>UNIT_ENGINEER</Type>
            <UniqueNames> ***HERE***
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_IMHOTEP</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ARCHIMEDES</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_HERON</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_CAI_LUN</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ZHANG_HENG</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_BI_SHENG</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_LEONARDO_DA_VINCI</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_SINAN</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WILHELM_SCHICKARD</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_BLAISE_PASCAL</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_BENJAMIN_FRANKLIN</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_CHARLES_AUGUSTIN_DE_COULOMB</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JAMES_WATT</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JOSEPH_MARIE_JACQUARD</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ISAMBARD_KINGDOM_BRUNEL</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WILLIAN_MORTON</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_LOUIS_DAGUERRE</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_FERDINAND_DE_LESSEPS</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JOHN_ROEBLING</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NOBERT_RILLIEUX</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_HENRY_BESSEMER</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NAIN_SINGH</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ALEXANDER_GRAHM_BELL</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NIKOLAUS_AUGUST_OTTO</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_NICHOLA_TESLA</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_THOMAS_EDISON</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GUGLIELMO_MARCONI</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ALEXANDRE_GUSTAVE_EIFFEL</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_GEORGE_WASHINGTON_GOETHALS</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_HENRY_FORD</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_WILBUR_WRIGHT</UniqueName>
                <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_ORVILLE_WRIGHT</UniqueName>
            </UniqueNames> ***HERE***
            <Special>SPECIALUNIT_PEOPLE</Special>
            <Capture>NONE</Capture>
            <Combat>NONE</Combat>
            <Domain>DOMAIN_LAND</Domain>
            <DefaultUnitAI>UNITAI_ENGINEER</DefaultUnitAI>
            <Invisible>NONE</Invisible>
            <SeeInvisible>NONE</SeeInvisible>
            <Description>TXT_KEY_UNIT_GREAT_ENGINEER</Description>
            <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_CONCEPT_GREAT_PEOPLE_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
            <Strategy>TXT_KEY_UNIT_GREAT_ENGINEER_STRATEGY</Strategy>
            <Advisor>ADVISOR_ECONOMY</Advisor>

Feel free to try out making a main menu. I won't be too picky, but I do want to approve it. I just want to make sure it looks decent. :D

So, would a mix of A. Real characters who fit the role of the GP, and B. Realistic sounding names, work? The hardest part I can think of is just that one-word names don't seem to fit GP, might just be me. However, for Dwarves, I could put their clan/house name after the first name. For example, Póri Firebeard.

I'll probably mess around with the menu tomorrow, it's my day off, so I've got all day. :D (I can send screenshots or something, assuming it doesn't look horrendous.)

EDIT: I've seen it done, but how do I make faction specific names for GP? So as to prevent Mordor from getting an Elf GP, and visa verse.

So, would a mix of A. Real characters who fit the role of the GP, and B. Realistic sounding names, work? The hardest part I can think of is just that one-word names don't seem to fit GP, might just be me. However, for Dwarves, I could put their clan/house name after the first name. For example, Póri Firebeard.

Good idea!

You can adopt a Jewish-like method for Elvish names. Jews use "bar" for "son of", and "ion" means "son of" in Elvish. For example, Elrond become Elrond Ion-Eärendil.

I'll probably mess around with the menu tomorrow, it's my day off, so I've got all day. :D (I can send screenshots or something, assuming it doesn't look horrendous.)

Yay! Tomorrow is my day off as well (for this week), but homework starts... :help:

EDIT: I've seen it done, but how do I make faction specific names for GP? So as to prevent Mordor from getting an Elf GP, and visa verse.

I have... no idea. I'm sure it requires a mod, so I'll have to search for it. In the meanwhile, we can simply insert the names by race, and then when we go to split them up, we can just re-insert them properly.

BINGO! Found it! Now I just have to merge it and make sure it does not break the mod... :) I will attempt to do that sometime this week, so hold off on making any XML changes to GP names. No promises with homework around.

Well, that was fast work. :p I'll stick to brainstorming for now then.

I have been messing around with the menu, found quite a few nice images online, problem is, they don't seem to be coming out in the resolution I'd like, they're a little, stretched looking, despite being the correct size and everything. I've got a feeling it could have to do with the compression, though I'm not sure if it's safe to change it from BC2 / DXT3

However, here's what I've got so far, for the best looking one. I am looking for a way to center the ring, around the UI, but it's not coming easy to my 11:30 mind. :p

Attachments

• 20170117232254_1.jpg
    20170117232254_1.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 91
Well, that was fast work. :p I'll stick to brainstorming for now then.

I have been messing around with the menu, found quite a few nice images online, problem is, they don't seem to be coming out in the resolution I'd like, they're a little, stretched looking, despite being the correct size and everything. I've got a feeling it could have to do with the compression, though I'm not sure if it's safe to change it from BC2 / DXT3

However, here's what I've got so far, for the best looking one. I am looking for a way to center the ring, around the UI, but it's not coming easy to my 11:30 mind. :p
That looks awesome!
You can definitely change the compression - I've used no compression for certain art files when I make units - higher quality but greater file size. For a main menu, we just want quality!

The UI itself can't be moved without python, but the easiest (?) thing to do would be to slide the ring down in the file you are exporting.

I recommend we both go to bed though. I have an 8:30 class tomorrow...

You can adopt a Jewish-like method for Elvish names. Jews use "bar" for "son of", and "ion" means "son of" in Elvish. For example, Elrond become Elrond Ion-Eärendil.
So in some sci-fi Cannon has a son Orbital, right? Orbital Ion-Cannon :lol:

About the mod...

That menu looks good for a start. Better than the AP of BtS.

Menu music: It's a little... err... annoying? I don't have a better word to phrase how I felt about it. Never use "epic" style music in a main menu. Chose something more "ambient". Just imagine the players loading your mod the first few times and investigating the pedia of what's new. Sure you don't want to hear war drums and battle music when reading through an encyclopedia.

I also experienced some issues with the fonts. Texts are partially missing. For example "Barad-dûr" appears for me as "Barad-d r".

Good job! Keep up the good work.

Menu music: It's a little... err... annoying? I don't have a better word to phrase how I felt about it. Never use "epic" style music in a main menu. Chose something more "ambient". Just imagine the players loading your mod the first few times and investigating the pedia of what's new. Sure you don't want to hear war drums and battle music when reading through an encyclopedia.

Something along the lines of this, perhaps?

So in some sci-fi Cannon has a son Orbital, right? Orbital Ion-Cannon :lol:

:D

About the mod...

That menu looks good for a start. Better than the AP of BtS.

Good point. However, I did put different music with each of the Main Menu options; you just have to select a different one and reload the Main Menu. I am still going to change the music, and have already done so on my version - I just need to upload it, but I am going to add some more things. In the mean time, switch to the "Vanilla" or "BTS Classic" menus for a more peaceful music. :)

I also experienced some issues with the fonts. Texts are partially missing. For example "Barad-dûr" appears for me as "Barad-d r".

I know how to fix that. I need to put the accented words in a text file. Will be put with the next "mini update".

Good job! Keep up the good work.
Thanks! I will try, though school makes it a challenge sometimes.

Top Bottom