MidEast Military Specs

sourboy

Awakening...
Anyone know where to find specs on other countries' militaries?

I am looking for info on what types of tanks, planes, boats, infantry, specials, artillery, etc that a half dozen countries use.

The details are mainly what are the 2-3 most commonly used (of the above) in each military & roughly where they stand in comparison to each other. [Ex - Israel seems to have mainly M60's & Merkava 4's in their armor division. M60's are old USA's models, while the Merkava is a more modern armor.]

I know that much was purchased via USA/Russia, but I can't seem to find more current updated info (post-2000).

The countries I am researching are mainly Syria, Jordan, Lebanon & Egypt - and additional info is welcome on Israel/Palestine (relating to current events).

Thanks!

I doubt you will have much luck with that area it is too much like pre wwI era with secrecy and a match with blow it up.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm well aware of how hard it is to find the info, that's why I thought I would post here (where most people are pretty crafty) - but thanks for pointing that out :rolleyes:

Great - and the site is...?

Great, thanks!

globalsecurity.org is where I found most of my prior info.

fas.org is the correct site, not fas.com (for other readers).

globaldefence.net is a great site, with some pages translated into a decent english (more to come) - the rest is pretty self explanatory, but a translator can be found here: http://www.freetranslation.com/

The Indian government has a nice sight. I don't exactly recall what it was, but I can post a link while at the office tomorrow. The computer at work has the site in its history ;)

Edit: They give the exact numbers (or best estimates) on tanks, air craft, nukes, and such by type. (exactly how many T-34s China still has). They also give a little summary.

Note: India is NOT in the middle East. There ARE a LOT of Indians in the Middle East, incl. my Uncle, Aunt and cousins, but I live in South Asia and not in the Middle East.

BTW I would recommend globalsecurity.org, it gives great details;)

Who said anything about India being in the Middle East?

globaldefence.net was by far the most useful site thusfar...once translated.

Janes.

www.janes.com

But it's gonna cost you a hell lot of money..

How about nationmaster.com. I just found out about a few days ago, and haven't really checked it out, but they do have some milityary info.
Also, if you don't mind reading forums you can try strategypage.com. They have different topics (artillery, armor, countries), and you can ask questions there, and get some answers from some pretty knowledgeable people.

Denfeceindia

I was really impressed with this site when I found it last week.
Syria has TWICE as many tanks as the US (including their reserves). Russia has more than 6x the tanks the US has. China has 3x as many tanks.

Guinea-Bassau has 10 T-34s

The M60 tanks will be phased out for the Merk. 4s, whereas the bulk of our current battle force is made up of regiments of the Merk 2 and Merk 3 MBTs.

We're not much of an armor-based military anyway - we can't afford to lose vast tracts of lands and have very limited capabilties when it comes to holding land we gain in battle, which is why we're based on mobility and utter domination of the skies.
Israel's shining jewel's in the air force, not the ground troops - the gold that makes up the crown that is the IDF.

IceBlaZe, Sh3kel & others:

The info I have on Israel is basically limited, but I was just looking for most common & a slight range in difference (I'm making a C3C Scenario).

Navy (rather limited):
Dophlin class sub
Reshif & Hertz Missile Boats
Saar 5
some kind of Corvette

Air Force:
F-4, F-15, F-16 (more?)
Cobra, Blackhawk & Apache helicopters
Short range missile

Ground:
M60 & Merkava 4's (mainly)
M-50 to M-110 artillery, SAM

No details on infantry, but I would expect it to be rather modern.
Strong special forces (name?) if I recall.

The real problem is finding info on the Palestinian area & neighbooring countries - seems to be a bit of secrecy, to no doubt.

How could I forget, there is an excellent forum (that I participate in, quite rarely) at www.1jma.dk.

Plenty of bored militarists there, ask the question there and I'm sure you'll get a few answers. :)

May as well include all info I have, someone should be able to confirm or correct or add to...

(A)ir, (N)avy, (G)round, * notes

Palestine:
No info really. I figure I would just give them lots of infantry options, resistors, suicide bombers (if I can get it to work right), and maybe low-end heavy ground units (flak, low artillery, etc.)

Syria:
(A) MiG 21, MiG 25, Gazelle chopper, Scud
(N) Romeo sub, patrol boats, Osa II missile boats, Petya cruiser, corvette, Halifax frigate
(G) T-55, T-72, M-122 artillery, howitzer, SAM
* Russian style equipment

Lebanon:
(A) transport choppers
(N) patrol boats
(G) M-105, M-155 artillery, basic units
* Formerly part of Syria, older equip Russian made

Jordan:
(A) F-16, Mirage, F-5, Blackhawk
(G) M60, M-110 artillery, SAM
* US style equipment

Egypt:
(A) F-16, Mirage, MiG-15, Gazelle chopper, Blackhawk
(N) Romeo sub, patrol boat, corvette, frigates, destroyer
(G) T-55, M60, IS3M tank, M-100, M-130 artillery, Hummers
* old equip Russian style, new equip US style

sourboy - I'm currently serving my tour of duty at the IAF foreign affairs office, and I call tell you that most of the information you're looking for is classified. It's not a high level of security, as anyone with a trained eye (e.g. - anyone who's ever served in a modern military or people with an interest in warfare) can recognize most of our hardware, but nevertheless when it comes to stats such as figures, formations and specifications, that information is classified.

What information you've gathered is pretty much as accurate as it'll get without breaking IDF security protocol. We're not the top regional military force because of our loose tongue.

Hey, that's all I wanted was a confirmation that the info I have is relatively close to what's out there today. I really don't want specifics, but you understand that I would get a lot of gripes from people if I made a scenario but had unrealistic details.

When in doubt, I may just use a US/Russian equivalant (depending on the country) since they supply a lot of equipment to the region. I can always change it later if someone gripes/corrects me.

I had to manually translate a German site just to get this info...I just want to make the game already! :rolleyes:

One question though, is the Shayetet a 'marine' like division or more 'special forces' like? I just want to label the units correctly in the game (we all know Israel has a good Spec ops).

Top Bottom