Might & Magic X: Legacy

coanda

Emperor
Has anyone here played it? I was a big fan of the older entries in the series; the reviews say it's a great retro RPG with updated graphics and interface. However, the reviews also say it's pretty buggy, but tend not to elaborate on what sort of bugs they are.

I don't actually mind that much if a game crashes every few hours, or if there are irritating little problems that force the occasional reload, but if it's of the "you'll keep having to restart because your save becomes hopelessly borked" variety then I guess I'll steer away. Was hoping someone who has tried it could comment.

I was also a big fan of previous games. I haven't played it yet, but I added it to my wishlist. It seems to have gotten significantly less buggy in the recent past (it's been available in early access for a while I think, and I remember hearing bad things about the game in early Fall 2013, but recently I've heard better things). I think I'll wait for a price drop but I will play it at some point.

I find it weird that they went back to grid-based movement like in the earlier MM games. Might and Magic VI might be my favorite game in the series and it wasn't grid based. I liked the half-real-time/pause-for-turn-based system of that game.

I noticed this available for early access but haven't picked it up. I will definitely wait for a price break. It'll probably be half off during summer sale.

Any fans of turn-based rpgs should pick it up.

Anybody who still does tabletop rpgs won't mind the grid system, which allows for more interesting tactics than the free movement of 7-9. I don't count 6, where you couldn't move in turn-based mode.

It's the first rpg in a long time where you get to sit and think about what you want to do in a combat.

Sort of. Obscure rules on recovery time made it difficult to plan in any meaningful way, and a profusion of enemies -- often with party-damaging ranged attacks further dampened planning.

Or put another way, I could sit back and think, but what was there to really think about?

Ok, I ended up getting this game. I've played about two hours of it so far (more when I get a chance).

The nostalgia is strong. It literally copied some sound effects straight from earlier games in the series - like the door-opening sound in I believe M&M6 and 7. It kept a lot of the same spells and abilities. The graphical style is very reminiscent, although the actual quality is obviously a lot higher (not surprising, given that it's 15+ years newer). Exploring in this game feels like exploring in a mid-90s RPG.

The big difference between this game and the older ones to me seems to be that this one actually has some combat challenge to it. The old games were fun, but they were mostly resting on the strength of their exploration and questing. You could literally kill a red dragon at level-1 in M&M7, if you were patient enough (you just had to make sure it never hit you, and it took a while). M&M X really does force you to think tactically at times. It's all turn-based, and there is very limited movement in combat (1 move = 1 turn; no moving if in melee range).

It can also be a bit brutal if you get in over your head. As far as I can tell, it is often impossible to retreat. That makes it a lot more nerve-wracking considering exploring when low on hp/mana. And monsters hit harder / hp pools are smaller. Spells that prevent or heal damage are very, very important.

Monsters don't seem to respawn, so it looks like this game has a fixed supply of xp available. That's another difference - not only are you not suggested to, you aren't even allowed to grind.

I don't know how long it will hold up in the long run, because I haven't played that much yet, but wow. This game brings back memories.

Played it for about an hour (only the first town) seems great so far. :)
I never played any of the grid M&M games (only played 6,7,8,9), but i did play Legends of Grimrock (which is fun btw) so it didn't take long to get used to the grid.
As for the combat, it seems similar more to Wizardry 8 (another favorite of mine) than M&M6,7,8. However they should've added party formation too. :p
It literally copied some sound effects straight from earlier games in the series.
That quest sound !

Gah, damn save corrupting / game crashing bugs. :(
I didn't loose more than 20 minutes of progress but they still annoy me. I wonder, if i play on low graphic quality, will it still crash like crazy ?
Or maybe i should wait a month or so for a patch ...

Top Bottom