Mighty Air Force

What disappoints me is stealth fighters cannot guard my skies.

What use is it having stealth fighters? They do nothing more than a stealth bomber. In fact, they do exactly the same missions, just not very effective. Little range too.

C3.

Sir_Lancelot said:
What disappoints me is stealth fighters cannot guard my skies.

What use is it having stealth fighters? They do nothing more than a stealth bomber. In fact, they do exactly the same missions, just not very effective. Little range too.

C3.

I agree with you...It is disappointing that stealth fighters can't defend my skies.
I really haven't found any good use for them.I only build bombers anyway,so i choose not to deal with them.I only use fighters to do recon to see what i need to take out for my troops to move in.

I dont ever make Air units. I dont understand their proper use, and by the time they are availible I am usually mopping up the last of the AI's with my Calvs and Artillery.

To me a bomber is basicly a more mobile battleship, good for some pounding but awkward to use effectively. It is better for me to build more of my best ground troop. and fighters I dont get how to use them effectively so I dont bother

My air units never killed somebody.

So they do that, in C3C. All sort of bombers or just P-bombing?

Bombers are useful but maybe not as cost-effective as artillery.

Fighters and jets only have some limited use if your opponent has got bombers.

Stealth planes, helis and missiles are just expensive toys, that won't win you any war.

expensive toys are fun..

And cruiser missiles at least can kill units.

Radar Artillery is nice because of the radar. But it's very expensive and I don't find it very much more efective in combat.

Sir Lancelot said:
expensive toys are fun..

And cruiser missiles at least can kill units.

Fun factor. The best thing. Reminds me of the times when I used to build the impossibly big army just 'to have one'. Feels good to know you can take on the entire world in a few turns isn't it :evil:

Anyways the AI knows everything from turn 1 so...

I find bombers to be pretty cool. I've had more use out of bombers than I have out of artillery, atleast offensively. artillery takes a long time to really conquer anyone and most turns it wont even fire. when I have bombers they're always bombing someone, and in 2 turns they can ALL be called to anywhere to bomb anyone.

artillery defensively is obviously superior though because of railroads.

Sashie VII said:
Yes..

On Pangaea though, I think artilleries are superior to bombers after you've got rails, they can all be called to anywhere AND fire in the same turn :p

not offensively though.

Sashie VII said:
Yes it can be done offensively. With lotsa workers on hand to build rails in newly taken territories immediately so that your forces can get to the new fronts faster.

well certainly if the AI has not railroaded sufficiently u will want to railroad behind ur attacking force for reinforcements(if indeed not everyone on ur continent is dead or u are on pangea). I'm thinking more from the perspective of just one big glob of artillery u start the war w/. so almost all the slowing down is going to be done inside enemy territory.

Tomoyo said:
They are the best recon unit in the game.
I wish they was! But they have only 6 tiles range, exact same as jet fighters. And I have never lost a jet fighter to enemy jets/SAM's during recon missions. Their stealthiness are useless, because if you're going to bomb, you use stealth bombers. Stealth bombers are twice as expensive, but will normally take just one more turn to build.

I was under the impression that recon could also be intercepted, but I'm not sure...

Tomoyo said:
I was under the impression that recon could also be intercepted, but I'm not sure...
I'm not sure. I have never gotten intercepted during recon missions, but maybe this is luck? When I think about it, I don't recon a lot during wars. The bombers see the terrain and update the map during bombing missions.

You have to combine arty and bombers redline then kill with the bombers (or cruise missiles) with this strat you can take out a civs without losing a single unit. (huge stack required) it also is IMHO the only way to attack another continent but then you need lots of carriers.

I have hit upon this tactic lately and it can be effective. Mostly I like it if there is a unit I want to kill that is two tiles away from artillery, and also two tiles away from my invading units. This way I don't have to use tanks/cav to go and get them. Of course, if you redline them with artillery, they are going to retreat anyway, but by using a bomber to finish them off you can keep your units at the point of attack that you choose, rather than responding to an AI countermove.

Top Bottom