1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Currently contemplating Philistines I have thought of the following. Like many civilizations which faded which already exist in Civ, I must try to imagine what post-Ancient units would look like. I would imagine that as an Aegean people they would eventually come under Greek influence with trade. Being near Mesopotamia, they would also fall under influence from there as well. So imagine the units would reflect this more, while keeping a Philistine feel. I will think of something for my civ.

As for the leaderhead? Any suggestions? Who would be a good base.

2. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

The question though is if this is the right approach to take. Should we not instead try and use what we know of their appearance and attempt to extrapolate how they would have developed naturally? There is a case to be made for both approaches.

3. Sword_Of_Geddon

I agree with you. I have units with heaver armor for Middle Ages, with some Canaanite looking stuff for Chariot and Horse Archers. I can see the Philistines adopting the Companion Cavalry, light ancient cavalry. Probably with the rider looking like Spearman1 of Toad's collection and armed with the same spear, only on horseback. I imagine a Pikeman being a cross between the Philistine Spearman and Sherdan. Philistine helmut, but with horns as well, convergence. Also with nice glossy silver armor, maybe with some gold. Longbowman could reuse that look, but with different armaments' of coarse. Then you would have light cavalry(medeval) and heavy(knight). medieval light cavalry would reuse the pikeman, the horse would have some basic, silver armor. The Knight would be the Philistine, but with a Dagon(the fish god they worshiped bronze helmut). The unit would have bronze colored armor, and a heavily decorated horse, with Dagon images or fish. Musketman would resemble the lighter spearman or swordsman in Toad's collection. Maybe bronze and gold clothing. Just because he already did it, Why not use the Arquibusier animations and such Toad.

Cuirassier, can either be a mounted gun user or a more advanced knight. I'd say both could be may. Heavier Knight Cuirassier I imagine like the Polish Hussar. Instead of Wings though, i imagine two fin like objects, bronze in coloration. Armor would look like the Knight's. Maybe some color changes.

Maceman would be a golden armored Sherdan type, with a one handed mace, and a shield with Dagon imagery. You could also have a Medieval swordsman, Peleset style helmut, gold armor, sword and same kind of shield.

Just some ideas. Up to Renaissance.

I finished a working Philistine civ. I will be posting leaderheads I've made but had yet to upload soon.

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Those are just ideas based on a "extrapolate how they would have developed naturally?" path. Whatever toad makes next idk as long as its something he is enjoying.

5. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

I'm having a problem with one of Schmiddie's ships in colonization, and I've traced the problem down to the nif itself.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/new-ship-model-ship-of-the-line.23065/
    When I move the ship in-game I get a hard crash. I'm quite hopeless with the nif, I got it to stop crashing but with the side-effect of making the whole ship not render at all XD

Since you guys know what you're doing I was hoping you could have a look again?

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

Three leaderheads coming.

-Tahiti Leader
    -Philistine Leader
    -Putun Leader

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Philistine Leader is done!

Now a leader to go with your units as promised Toad. I know its not THE BEST but I hope people like it.

8. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

It's not bad at all.
    Maybe you could try it without the red crest on the crown? And make the blue shirt's shade a bit more natural?

9. Sword_Of_Geddon

I wanted him to look similiar to some of the Peleset. Hense the red.

10. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

There seems to be something strange with the NiSkinInstance of the ship body, since when I try to make a new SkinPartition via NifSkope I get the error "bad NiSkinData - vertex count does not match".

I could import the model into Blender and export it back though, so maybe this will fix things. Since I cannot test the unit for Col, I have attached two version of ship. If it works, the "FX" version should be the better choice, since I shadered it in the way how Civ4 units are set up. If that version does not work, try the nif without the "FX", I only changed the NiTriShapeData and NiSkinInstance data on that one.

Attached Files:

Vaeringjar likes this.
  11. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Unfortunately both still crash :(
    Thanks for trying though :)

12. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Maybe something is wrong with the animation then, if it is a custom set of animations. Did you try to use a different animation set with it? Or maybe used the animation set with a different unit?

13. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

It uses the vanilla Man-o-War kfm. I tried using the vanilla galleon kfm now, no difference.

14. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Unfortunately running out of ideas now. Last thing I can think about it that something is wrong with the wave attachments one can see when the ship is moving. I have removed those in the attached nif file, maybe give that one a try.

Attached Files:

MalayanGamer and Vaeringjar like this.
  15. Vaeringjar

Vaeringjar Chieftain

Sadly didn't work either.
    Maybe Schmiddie is able to have a look at some point

16. SaibotLieh

SaibotLieh Emperor

Guess so, at least I would not know anything to go further on at the moment.

17. Matsuda123

Matsuda123 Prince

I found some images for what if ship inspiration designs. Obviously these ones are too goofy and cartoony now, but could provide inspiration for future work. :)

Attached Files:

MightyToad, tantanmen and Zeta Nexus like this.
  18. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

Wow! I really like the ship with the dream catcher sail in pic #1.

19. Sword_Of_Geddon

The first pic, some awesome ideas, native N.American ships is something nobody has touched come to think of it. Up to Toad.

20. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

I just made a quick sketch of an imagined North American galley.
    It was made in less than 10 minutes so it looks rather lame :lol: but I hope you will get my point.
    Spoiler Bisonship :

upload_2021-1-18_9-25-6.png

I imagined it with a giant wood-carved bisonhead/torso as a figurehead which also acts as the "knocker" of the ship (I don't know the proper expression even in my on language :lol: )

MightyToad and tantanmen like this.