[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

I actually did a half-assed firelance unit for a request several months back.
Anyway, I made a "prototype" unfinished unit using the ancient chinese cannon to show what I have in mind. I used the Civ 5 atlatlist for the model. It is actually pretty close to what I had in mind anyway.

Attachments

• Maya_Grenade_Cannon.rar
    328.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Maya_Grenade_Cannon.jpg
    Maya_Grenade_Cannon.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 304
And again, there is a separate ancient Chinese weapon for it! :lol:

What you came up with is a Crouching Tiger Cannon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hu_dun_pao

"a small cannon that was propped up at the muzzle end and pinned to the ground to deaden the recoil. This setup supposedly resembles a crouching tiger, giving the cannon its name"; you did one better than Civ 6 unit designers though, who took the name literally and gave the cannon tiger features... :rolleyes:

There is also a firelance unit in Rise of Asia...

I would like to note that the Civ 6 cannon actually does exist, though way later than when the unit would be from.

Attachments

• IMG_2018-02-26 15:56:45.jpg
    IMG_2018-02-26 15:56:45.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 39
And now you have my artistic wheels turning... stay tuned.

82112e444eeec8c2dd1b7f3ba992e451.jpg

Some ideas, not requests. Sometimes slumps are cured by ideas for other projects, then you return to whatever it is you were planning on before.
Ancient Greek Galleass, Bakuel already made what-if Roman units all the way to the modern era. Why not? Of coarse artistic license is allowed, its just concept art

5516ea114347ed89e9bf78ac2b33f584.jpg

Early Steam Era, Unicorn Stream Frigate of somekind

f19e311e4fe401c8814d0ed20ee57f55.jpg

Steampunk type landship.I thought what the heck right? Seems to have lots of cannons.

Sometimes slumps are cured by ideas for other projects, then you return to whatever it is you were planning on before.
Steampunk type landship.I thought what the heck right? Seems to have lots of cannons.
Yeah, I was originally planning to do a whole Mesoamerican renaissance line up. But the ships have taken 10x longer than anticipated. Only land unit that is really needed is the grenadier, and I'm drawing a blank on how to approach it.
Civ 5 has two steampunk units. I haven't bothered with them because I think they are too fantasy. Especially the air units. No way in hell they could fly.

Anyway, so I'm just uploading the Mesoamerican ships. A galleass, frigate, SOTL, and a galleon. The I was stuck on the frigate and galleass for a couple weeks. Those are also my least favorite. I think the SOTL turned out alright.

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/mesoamerican-renaissance-ships.28707/

I love ‘em all :thumbsup: Fantastic blend of colors, really imaginative. The lizard / serpent / Quetzalcoatl on the bows is awesome. I really like the galleon with its long roof (quarters? sorry I'm terribly ignorant). And all those cannons on the SOTL remind me of dragon scales, looks like a prickly dragon belly.

Thank you MightyToad for creating a spectacular full line of Meso Ships :goodjob:

Last edited:
Yeah I can't thankyou enough! Now wherever you go next is uncharted waters :)

Yeah, I was originally planning to do a whole Mesoamerican renaissance line up. But the ships have taken 10x longer than anticipated. Only land unit that is really needed is the grenadier, and I'm drawing a blank on how to approach it.
Civ 5 has two steampunk units. I haven't bothered with them because I think they are too fantasy. Especially the air units. No way in hell they could fly.

Grenades. Actually that reminds me of the Mayan blowgunner. Perhaps a Bazooka like weapon could be used. Possibly make a more primitive looking weapon used by the Anti-Air or Anti-Tank units.

Just do a meso themed infantry with grenades from the regular grenadier. They need to fit into the same general art styling as the rest of the game. And historically speaking the closest thing those civs would have gotten to grenadiers is taking grenades off the Spanish.

Also by god I love those ships. I am totally going to adapt them for lizardmen ships for FFH as soon as they come out.

I don't know if such things are done here, but is there a mod or a model of the European Union commander somewhere on this forum?
I mean the model of Donald Tusk, Herman Van Rompuy (although I know that this man model exists) or Charles Michel

Last edited:
No, I was trying to convert Kamehameha. It is an order of magnitude more difficult than I imagined. So far I have only rigged the face up, but the results are grotesque to say the least. The eyes are the biggest problem. I chose to rig it to pacals skeleton because I love his furious animation.

I thought one of the elephant riders for the Carthaginian elephant looked promising for a body for a maya unit.

Attachments

• Blender_Kame_Bones.jpg
    Blender_Kame_Bones.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 302
  • Kamehameha_eeek.jpg
    Kamehameha_eeek.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 316
  • Carthage_Elephant_Rider.jpg
    Carthage_Elephant_Rider.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 306
:dubious: Woooow, that is an indecent amount of facial muscles. If he can't find a spot in the next Body Worlds exhibition, he already has a place in my heart :love:

Thank you MightyToad, Furious Kamehameha has never looked better! :king:

Top Bottom